GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What is going to be better the Game cube or the X box"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 23/03/01 at 18:20
Regular
Hay i want to know what is the best the X box or the Game cube and i am wondering why it takes so long to be released in the U.K.
Sun 25/03/01 at 22:36
Regular
Grix Thraves wrote:
> I'm from a small island off the coast of England called Wales,

Grix, have you done geography? Or are all welsh people thick?

:-)
Sun 25/03/01 at 21:04
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
You shouldn't judge people full stop.

Unless they speak with a Welsh accent, then it's acceptable.
Sun 25/03/01 at 20:35
Regular
I'm from a small island off the coast of England called Wales, which I take the pee out of all the time. If someone else also extracts the urine from Wales, I am not bothered. It is not because I'm not patriotic, it is because I just don't care.

If you judge other people by their views, flawed or not, then you are no better than they are.
Sun 25/03/01 at 19:46
Regular
As long as you post on discussion boards, you'll always get bashing. If I'm posting on ign I get Brit-bashed all the time, and you want to see the Planetarion discussion boards, where you get ALL nationalites bashing each other, it's chaos.

(Fortunately there the Americans outnumber the rest of them and can hold their own, but it's mostly kids there so you can't expect political correctness from the majority of people).

And personally I (and I expect a lot of others) don't want to see you leave these boards here, but that's your decision. But I'll miss your input, and it'll be a shame to see you go just because of someone's inability to realise that the actions of one person do not reflect on that person's nation as a whole.

Sun 25/03/01 at 18:08
FantasyMeister wrote:
> OK, good and valid points you made ripping my arguments apart, and I'm grateful for you discussing this coherently and not just flaming. <

I don't flame. It's rude and lacks insight. It's sort of like attacking someone else's country for inadequate reasons. But, luckily, I won't have to deal with that anymore after today.
Sun 25/03/01 at 15:16
Regular
PseudoSavant said:

"Trust me, the advertising will mention Microsoft. Bill's too full of himself not to throw it in there. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised to see him in a commerical, introducing the thing. "Hello, I'm Bill Gates. Recently, Microsoft and myself have taken an interest in the console gaming market and have decided that it's about time we get involved. It's a booming industry after all, and it's been held back from lack of support from PC developers such as Microsoft. Until now. This is the X-Box...yada, yada, yada..." YES, he's that full of himself. I've seen him do it before numerous times"

Heh. :-).

OK, good and valid points you made ripping my arguments apart, and I'm grateful for you discussing this coherently and not just flaming. I guess we'll both have to wait and see what happens. I agree with what other posters have indicated: that X-Box won't dethrone Nintendo, I think Nintendo have been around too long to lose their grip on the gaming market (mind you, I'd have said the same of Sega a few years back).

I really do believe that the X-Box WILL be the next Sony of the gaming world, and the three companies fighting it out 'should' be good for us consumers.

Time will tell.

('Time will tell' is what I usually put when I've given up trying to put a case across about predictions. It's a copyrighted denouement to my arguments, and generally means that I am going to start posting about something else.)

:-)
Sun 25/03/01 at 06:17
FantasyMeister wrote:
> Pseudosavant, no I'm not American, but that doesn't matter much with me, nationality is just a tag in my view. <

Then why are you using it so blatantly as to say that Americans will buy an American product?

> Think about it this way. Who's got more money to throw at this campaign? Bill Gates. <

Not necessarily. Think about it like this: Microsoft is a massive, powerful company, that's true. But they've got their hands in so many things, it really doesn't matter. An empire that gets spread out too much can't sustain compared to those that keep tight. Nintendo's only focus is this, its consoles and gaming, and it's no slouch either.

> Who's the computer wizard throwing money all over town to get the best developers there are in the business? Bill Gates. <

He doesn't have SquareSoft, Nintendo, Rareware, Sega, or a variety of others 1st or 2nd party. Bungie and Oddworld Inhabitants, though both talented, don't compare. So he doesn't have the 'best developers' in the business. In fact, I'd say he has a small number of decent ones, but that's about it.

> He's managed to do well so far. The world is buzzing about the X-Box WAY before it's release. Gamecube has been buzzed about more in the timeline because it was announced and expected and on the drawing board officially before the X-Box, so there Nintendo have an upper hand, as well as it's already huge consumer base not just in the USA but in Japan, Europe and the rest of the world. <

The world isn't buzzing about the Gamecube as much as it is about the X-Box right now, but that could certainly change once E3 comes around. The reason people are talking about the X-Box is because Gates unveiled it way before its release, while very little has been mentioned about the Gamecube. The fact that it has any buzz about it at all right now is what's impressive.

> This is a HUGE competitor that Microsoft are taking on, but more and more things are going their way. Sega have dropped out of the console manufacturing market. Sony's PS2 launch was not 'successful' as the dictionary defines the term. But many ex-Sega Megadrive and Saturn customers, dissillusioned with Sony and the PS2, have now traded in the PSX for a DC and gone back to their gaming roots. <

I disagree that 'more and more things are going their way'. Square turned them down; the titles exhibited at Gamestock even disappointed their more ardent fans, with the exception of the new Oddworld game; and the faked shots from 'Amped' certainly didn't benefit their already tarnished reputation.

> 1) Price, it'll be competitive. <

Competitive but not better. X-Box will do well, I'd imagine, but it won't sink the Cube. No way. And it won't dethrone Nintendo in any way.

> 2) Product, it's American, home grown, and no matter what anyone says home grown products are usually more tempting to buy if you have a choice (over here we have a thing about Buying British,... <

This is your problem right here. You're extending what occurs in Britain into a universal action. In the U.S., people do not buy things just because they're American. At one time, they did, but that time has come and gone. Trust me on this: Nintendo's reputation in the States is more positive than Microsoft's.

> 3) Advertising. The ad. campaign hasn't really gotten into gear yet, but you can be sure that it won't have the
words Microsoft in it (how come EVERYONE hates Microsoft, not just the USA?) and the words American will be sure to appear. <

Trust me, the advertising will mention Microsoft. Bill's too full of himself not to throw it in there. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised to see him in a commerical, introducing the thing. "Hello, I'm Bill Gates. Recently, Microsoft and myself have taken an interest in the console gaming market and have decided that it's about time we get involved. It's a booming industry after all, and it's been held back from lack of support from PC developers such as Microsoft. Until now. This is the X-Box...yada, yada, yada..." YES, he's that full of himself. I've seen him do it before numerous times.

> 4) IGN boards, bubbling with anticipation. I got a feeling Gates pays the moderators to sit there 24/7 to delete anything with the word Nintendo in it and then post 200 words on how the X-Box will change the world of gaming forever. <

I would like to point out that the IGN boards communicate to possibly 8% of all the potential consumers, if that.

> 5) UK and Europe: we've LONGED for a non-Jap console to break into the market, because that way there's always the chance we'll get our games 6 months earlier than before,
maybe even (hands together praying) before the Japs. <

Wow. You Europeans are strange people. =) I don't know a single American who thinks that way.

> The more it sells, the more developers will want to develop for it, and that means more games, making it more popular everywhere else, including the USA. <

That's right, but please keep in mind that the Cube is guaranteed to sell in the multiple millions in the USA alone. X-Box isn't guaranteed that by any stretch.

> I'm not going to list 5 more reasons why the X-Box is
going to be a hit in the States, this post is way too long already, and I can just see now all the flames it's gonna get from the Nintendo fans. But I am NEVER wrong (ignore my recent football score predictions). When it comes to predicting the future, FM is right on the button. <

What I find interesting is that you don't live in the States, yet you KNOW that X-Box will be big here. I live here; I follow the market and the communities that surround it. NOTHING I've seen thus far has illustrated that X-Box will be a total success. In fact, from the gut feeling I've gotten regarding the current state of things, I'd say its launch will be mild, not explosive.
Sat 24/03/01 at 19:34
Regular
HEY!! I heard that!!!

And I did grow up, I did raise a family (an English one, Pseudo :-) ), but I NEVER stooped so low as to buy Nintendo.

Now then, what were we talking about? Ah, X-Box vs Nintendo.

Pseudosavant, no I'm not American, but that doesn't matter much with me, nationality is just a tag in my view.

Think about it this way. Who's got more money to throw at this campaign? Bill Gates.

Who's the computer wizard throwing money all over town to get the best developers there are in the business? Bill Gates.

He's managed to do well so far. The world is buzzing about the X-Box WAY before it's release. Gamecube has been buzzed about more in the timeline because it was announced and expected and on the drawing board officially before the X-Box, so there Nintendo have an upper hand, as well as it's already huge consumer base not just in the USA but in Japan, Europe and the rest of the world.

This is a HUGE competitor that Microsoft are taking on, but more and more things are going their way. Sega have dropped out of the console manufacturing market. Sony's PS2 launch was not 'successful' as the dictionary defines the term. But many ex-Sega Megadrive and Saturn customers, dissillusioned with Sony and the PS2, have now traded in the PSX for a DC and gone back to their gaming roots.

So the market is currently unbalanced, and Microsoft seemed to have launched a powerful console onto the market with the best timing they could have hoped for. So how are they going to win over all the American Nintendo consumers?

1) Price, it'll be competitive
2) Product, it's American, home grown, and no matter what anyone says home grown products are usually more tempting to buy if you have a choice (over here we have a thing about Buying British, we all say we do, but Honda are kinda big over here too, strange coincidence? Are Honda brainwashing both our countries?) If I had a choice of a British Console (heh, what are the chances?) and a Japanese one I'd buy British if the specs were similar enough.
3) Advertising. The ad. campaign hasn't really gotten into gear yet, but you can be sure that it won't have the words Microsoft in it (how come EVERYONE hates Microsoft, not just the USA?) and the words American will be sure to appear.
4) IGN boards, bubbling with anticipation. I got a feeling Gates pays the moderators to sit there 24/7 to delete anything with the word Nintendo in it and then post 200 words on how the X-Box will change the world of gaming forever.
5) UK and Europe: we've LONGED for a non-Jap console to break into the market, because that way there's always the chance we'll get our games 6 months earlier than before, maybe even (hands together praying) before the Japs. Heh. The more it sells, the more developers will want to develop for it, and that means more games, making it more popular everywhere else, including the USA.

I'm not going to list 5 more reasons why the X-Box is going to be a hit in the States, this post is way too long already, and I can just see now all the flames it's gonna get from the Nintendo fans. But I am NEVER wrong (ignore my recent football score predictions). When it comes to predicting the future, FM is right on the button.

My tealeaves say it must be so. :-)
Sat 24/03/01 at 19:22
Regular
Its done, answers please.
Sat 24/03/01 at 19:21
Regular
Indeed.

Duh indeed.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.