GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Best [blank] of 2003"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 27/12/03 at 19:02
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Hey, let's do one of those nostalgia posts like what the BBC do, only without Stuart Maconie, Kate Thornton and Bobby Davro! If I could be bothered to add it all up, I'd probably find that the last year has seen me spend more money on pointless crap like CDs and DVDs than ever before, so let's have your best movies/music/books/games of 2003. Keep it sweet.

Best Film
---------
Tough one. Even though I'm probably biased because it's the last movie I saw at the cinema, I'm gonna say Return of the King. It had everything - huge battle scenes almost endless in scope, wonderfully subtle CGI and the kind of epic storyline you don't get from Hollywood blockbusters these days. A definite winner.

Also-rans: Finding Nemo is the best kids film I've ever seen (yes, better than Transformers the Movie). Roger Dodger is one of the slickest indie films I've seen for years, with a great central performance from Cambell Scott and another lovable rogue to go in the gallery. The Matrix movies deserve a mention just because they made me excited about movies (even if they were slightly saggy round the middle) and Punch Drunk Love made me feel different about so-called Romantic Comedies. Kill Bill, just because. I could reel of dozens of others, but these are the only ones I can think of off the bat.

Let Down: Terminator 3 wasn't awful, but it was no Terminator 2. Talk to der hand, guv'na.

Best Album
----------
It's a toss-up between Kings of Leon and The Strokes. In fact, Youth and Young Manhood probably sticks its neck out due to the fact it caught me completely by surprise, whereas I knew the Strokes album would be ace. Pure, good old fashioned southern-style rock and roll, played with real feeling and soul. The White Stripes could learn a lot from these tached freaks.

Also-rans: Muse's Absolution was so hard-hitting I was winded for several hours after hearing it - massively entertaining operatic rock with no equal, plus not so much of the squealing and piano jerking this time. If Coldplay's album came out this year then that deserves a mention, if simply for providing good, melodic tunes that stick in your head. The Yeah Yeah Yeah's album was alright, bit too squawky and lo-fi for me and there's countless other hip-hop albums I've bought and loved to mention here.

Let Down: I bought and loved the first two Basement Jaxx albums, and was indifferent to the third. Blur's Think Tank got tired quickly (I could just picture Damon Albarn's socialite mates all sitting round his coffee table, screeching "Oh, how 'bohemian' Damon") and both the Cooper Temple Clause and Black Rebel albums were crud compared to great first singles.

Best Book
---------
Can't exactly remember how many books I read this year (clue: you could count them on two hands) but the one that really stayed with me was Glamorama by Bret Easton Ellis. I know it's not a new book, but it's my list, so up yours. A wonderful story about a high-flying socialite called Victor and his jet-setting life, until Ellis twists the knife and sends him into a dark world of murder and terrorism that I totally didn't see coming. Kept me gripped until the last page, and afterwards too.

Also-rans: Chuck Paahallahahalaniuakalalak books make me smile, and Choke was probably the best of the bunch. Rules of Attraction passed the time too, even though I'd already seen the film.

Let Down: Hmm, I normally won't finish reading a book if it's crap. I didn't finish Less than Zero, so let's say that.

Best Game
---------
Despite most of my playing time going to Halo on Xbox, it's not this that takes the crown. No, Top Spin on Xbox has provided me with the most laughs, most thrills and most curses and it was only released about 6 weeks ago. It's not just any old game that makes me forget I've got Pro Evo Soccer 3 gathering dust on the shelf. A reason to get broadband and Xbox Live if ever there was one. Still makes me swear like a Tourettes.

Also-rans: Project Gotham is getting me hooked as we speak, and I super-enjoyed Knights of the Old Republic, although I guess I'll have to play it through again on the dark side to truly see how masterful it is. Tony Hawk Underground is wicked (although lack of Live play sucked) and Pro Evo 3 kept me busy for a while. SSX 3 also made me go \o/ for a little bit.

Let Down: Metroid Prime? Couldn't get to grips with it at all. I'm sure I wasn't doing it properly and there was buckets of action around the next corner, but it bored me to tears.

Best Single
-----------
Again, a close one, this time between the Cooper Temple Clause's Promises Promises (gargantuan bassline mixed with a rasping chorus) and Beyonce's Crazy in Love. The lady wins, although it has to be said, the video didn't do her any harm.

Best Telly
----------
24 kept me interested from start to finish, and unless something miraculous happens in the next 3 days, it'll have been the only series I've watched all the way through. Inventive, exciting and unpredictable.

Okay, I lost interest near the end but that's because I had some dinner. Now you go.
Tue 30/12/03 at 20:16
Regular
"None Stored"
Best Film
---------
Kill Bill.
I was let down by The Matrix Revolutions.

Best Album
----------
Dont buy music, only download single songs.

Best Book
---------
Dont read books very much, so lets just say the only book I read this year - Lord of the Flies.

Best Game
---------
Manhunt

Best Single
-----------
Pistolero - Juno Reactor

Best Telly
----------
Band of Brothers (the repeats on UK Gold)
Tue 30/12/03 at 17:43
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Best Film
---------
Hmm. For me there'd be lots of good ones, such as Matrix : Rev, Lord of the Rings Finale and Pirates of the Carribean. The best movie this year however? I must say I loved Ripley's Game, t'was excellent. From those 4 though, I doubt it'd be the best...

So, Pirates wins :D

I was absurdly let down by Terminator 3 though.

Best Album
----------
A toss up really between Sigur Ros' () and the Kingdom Hearts Soundtrack..and the best of REM. They're all good in their own merry little ways. Listened to the KH soundtrack most however.

Best Book
---------
Either any of the Hitchiker 5 or A Short History of Nearly Everything, a light-hearted way to explain, well, nearly everything. Bill Bryson does good in explaining even the theory of relativity.

Best Game
---------
Hmm. Kingdom Hearts has only really had a proper play through recently, so that's pretty high. Then of course, The Legends of Zelda, one of the most stunning games I've ever played. And Skies of Arcadia was kick-ass also.

Best Single
-----------
Having listened to Gary Jules' stunning song since the release of Donnie Darko, I guess it's started to slightly run dry in feeling that it gave me before. So...Sigur Ros : Untitled 1.

Best Telly
----------
The Office, Mr Partridge, 24, Game-Pad 4 (just to see games, ANY game, on TV), that SAS thing on BBC2.
Tue 30/12/03 at 17:25
Regular
Cyclone wrote:
> >
> Best Telly
> ----------
>Final seconds of RWC final.

--

That was my Worst Telly. I was on the phone with my dad and we were both yelling "MISS IT, MISS IT, YOU ENGLISH [explitive deleted]" But then Jonny decided to ruin my life. Stupid English brotherpucker.
Tue 30/12/03 at 15:46
"I love yo... lamp."
Best movie
-----------
Cypher. Great sci-fi movie. Mr Average ends up as an industrial spy. The brainwashing scene was particularly uncomfortable. Jeremy Northam was, dare I say it, cool in this movie. Lucy Liu was her usual rather attractive self.

Biggest disappoinment was definitely Matrix Revolutions. I was a bit let down by Reloaded but I thought that Revolutions would salvage it all and produce a wonderful climax to what should have been the best trilogy ever. In the end that honour remains in possession of the Mighty Ducks movies.

Best album
----------
This Left Feels Right by Bon Jovi. As they say, it is a greatest hits with a twist. Wonderful reinterpretation of their classics and it just goes to show how talented they actually are as musicians.

Biggest disappointment was St Anger by Metallica. Where are the solos? That's what put them a cut above other thrash bands in the early 80's. But now they just wasted Kirk Hammett. I expected more. They can still do it as well, they were stunning in Denver in July, but they just can't write like they used to. What a shame.

Best book
---------
I'm tempted to say the Tristan Betrayal by Robert Ludlum before reading it, it is after all his last ever book. But I can't do that I suppose. In which case I am at rather a loss as to what the best was. The best I read this year was the Prometheus Deception, by Robert Ludlum. But it was from 2001 I think.

Biggest disappoinment was probably John Grishams Bleachers. Up until about '98 everything he wrote was a brilliant legal thriller. Bleachers was about baseball. Poor.

Best single
-----------
Growing On Me by the Darkness. It is the return of rock music, of solos, of walls of Marshall amps and of spandex.

Biggest disappointment... can I say St Anger again?

Best concert
------------
Bon Jovi at Ibrox. Stadium gigs are the best, especially in good weather with lots of attractive company, with big lasers and huge screens. 20 years on and they still show the kids how it is done.

Biggest disappointment. It wasn't that much of a disappoinment as I definitely enjoyed it, but Muse at the SECC could have been better.

Best TV
-------
Hard one this. My gut feeling is 24 as I was glued to it, just like last year. But I also love Frasier. It is the only thing that has kept me amused consistently, now for 10 years.

I wasn't disapointed by anything on the telly, as anything I actually watched I enjoyed.

Best game
---------
Project Gotham Racing 2. That is what games are all about. Addictive, gripping, online play, wonderful graphics. All in the greatest racer ever.
Tue 30/12/03 at 15:20
Regular
"gsybe you!"
These are my 'Best of 2003' in the sense of the new things I saw/heard etc in 2003, not neccessarily released then. Because most music in 2003 was dire. Etc.

Best Film
---------

Without a dobut Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King. Not only because it is my favourite book/trilogy etc, but because the film itself was so well done and made. It wasn't just a well-done representaion of a brilliant story, it was an astounding film as well. Better film than any other this year.

Best Album
----------

When I bought this, I was unsuspectingly buying into genius. Got it right at the start of the year, and have listened to it ever since. Rival Schools - United By Fate. Utter brilliance - Buy it now. Also rans include Mary Star of The Sea - Zwan, De-Loused in The Comatorium - Mars Volta and Audioslave - Audioslave and Nick Drake - Pink Moon

Best Book
---------

Probably LOTR. Because I read it then. Ha. No, probably ummm... Confessions of A Philosopher by Bryan Magee. Maybe. Or possibly Bloodtide by Melvyn Burgess. Maybe.

Best Game
---------

Metroid Prime. Because it was and is.

Best Single
-----------

None of them. Seriously. Alright, Seven Nation Army. But all the above albums have better songs on them.

Best Telly
----------

Office/Alan Partridge/Final seconds of RWC final.
Tue 30/12/03 at 14:52
Regular
Wrong Turn? I trotted along to see that because I see any film with Buffy/Angel alumni (and I've seen some dire films as a result. Just Married? Darkness Falls?) and it was terrible. Trying to a quasi-Evil Dead type thing. But it was terrible. Although that guy getting shot in the back with an arrow amused me.
Tue 30/12/03 at 12:32
Regular
"SOUP!"
Best Film
---------

I'd have to say Gangs of New York claims this crown, although many thought it was a cheesy Americana powertrip, I enjoyed it and it allowed me to see Leonadro Di Caprio as someone other than 'that skinny guy who drowns in Titanic'. Scorsessed directing was superb and Daniel Day Lewis is excellent as Bill the Butcher. Overall it is great.

Wrong Turn was a suprise to me, it came out at short notice and was a low budget film - but I enjoyed it greatly. Also Indentity was a brilliant film with a excellent twist and a great sting in the tail.

Let down – Cabin Fever, it could have been great but it was ridiculously undercooked.

Best Album
----------
Linkin Park - Meteora, the album was the gloss on the trophy of sucess Linkin Park have built. After seeing them live in November I love this band to bits. Finger Eleven - Finger Eleven - a brilliant third album by one of my favourite bands around.

Let down?
Limp Bizkit - Results may vary. The album design is the best I've ever seen, the content isn't as good as anything they've done previously.

Best Book
---------
I haven't read a lot this year, and the only book I have read that was released this year is the Gangs of New York book, which lies unfinished on my shelf. I have enjoyed Bill Bryson - Notes From A Small Island, and am currently enjoying Chuck Palahnuik - Fight Club.

Let Down - Interview with a vampite by Anne Rice, I failed to enjoy it.

Best Game
---------
Resident Evil Zero - it was a friendly and much welcomed addition to the Resi legacy. Freedom Fighters was also a great game I enjoyed a lot - both of them are probably games nobody else will list and are also games I no longer own due to the fact I tire of games after a while.

Best Single
-----------
Sing for the moment by Eminem, I loved this song. Also Time Is Running Out by Muse, got me interested in the great band.

Let down – Behind Blue Eyes - Limp Bizkit. Urgh.

Best Telly
----------
This year I fell in love with Family Guy, was captivated by Coupling and Tantilised by Teachers. However Malcolm in the Middle remained my firm favourite.

Let down – Kumars. It's balls.
Tue 30/12/03 at 11:24
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Best Film: Y Tu Mama Tambien absolutely blew me away when I saw it. It's hysterically funny yet eerily bleak too. Well worth hunting out on DVD. As I still haven't seen ROTK (curse my nephew for being ill when I took him to watch it; CURSE HIM) I'll reluctantly reserve judgement on it.

Best Album: Elephant by the White Stripes, by some distance. On the more melancholic side of music, Field Songs by Mark Lanegan is an absolute corker too.

Best Book: Jesus, where to start? I'll eschew the obvious choice of Michael Moore and say that my fave nonfiction was "The Political Animal" by Jeremy Paxman. Very insightful, and essential for anyone with an interest in conventional politics.
Best fiction has to have been Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King. The Dark Tower books are the finest I've read of his.

Best Game: Hmmm....either Knights of the Old Republic, or Judge Dredd. Can't decide as I'm oh-so-fickle today.

Best TV: Okay, so it was a dvd, but Family Guy absolutely obliterates any competition.
Tue 30/12/03 at 10:25
Regular
"not dead"
Okay, here goes.

Best Film:

Pirates of the Carribean. Johnny Depp was fantastic. I loved Kill Bill, but until I see it as a whole, I can't say it was my favourite. Return of the King was thoroughly enjoyable too, so that's right up there. I loved Frailty, thought that was a rather twisted little movie, and probably the best movie I rented over the last twelve months. There were a couple of others I rented and liked, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind was good, so was Adaptation.

Best Album:

I didn't buy a great many this year. I made a rather fine album from early Ash b-sides, that was fantastic, but I guess doesn't really count. Kings of Leon was good, as was Placebo's album - that was this year, wasn't it? Bluetones Luxembourg was what you'd expect, I liked it, but perhaps too short. Don't know if it came out this year (though it was reissued) but the Libertines album was a highlight, and I have to say that I liked The Thrills too. Can't say which was my favourite though...

Best Book:

I've read more books in the last year than in the three or four preceeding it put together. Which was the best though? Will Ferguson's Happiness was impressive, I thoroughly enjoyed that from start to finish, so that's possibly my number one. Really enjoyed Survivor, by Chuck Palaniuk too, will start on Lullaby at some point next year.

Best Game:

This is a hard one, as I'm finding that my attention span when it comes to games is slipping. I didn't get far with either Zelda or Metroid Prime, though I did quite enjoy what I played. I've probably spent most most time with FIFA 2004. Taking a team from the 3rd division, and trying to build them into Champion's League winners is quite a challenge, and one I'm enjoying. That said, Pokemon Saphirre has finally made use of my GBA. I've still got much to find in the game, and I'm enjoying doing it. Only just got Viewtiful Joe, and can definitely see it's appeal, but I can't rate it until I'm further into it. Soul Calibur 2 made me like fighting games again too. Also, I liked GTA Vice City, on my PC, until my gamepad broke, and I can't use keyboard and mouse, I've been s console boy too long.

Best TV:

The Simpson's has continued to be highly entertaining, though since having Sky TV, I've been catching up on so many episodes, few of which would have debuted this year. I'll agree that 24 kept me glued to the TV on a Sunday evening, and nothing else (other that the first series) has ever kept me so interested. Have to give credit to the last two episodes of the office too, a fantastic end to a great show.
Sat 27/12/03 at 21:30
Regular
"Selected"
Best Film -

Pirates of the Caribbean - its quirky comedy and solid fairytale-esq storyline kept me both enthralled and entertained. Plus it had pirates in it - swashbuckling and what not.

Best Album -

Radiohead's Hail to the Thief. For 3 months, 40 minutes a day on the two bus rides I had each day I'd listen to Hail to the Thief. It did something to me.

Best Book -

Wasn't released this year but American Psycho disturbed, entertained and made me joke about making "the rez" with friends for months afterwards. Nice of Brett, I thought

Best Game -

Freedom Fighters. Get your posse in effect then go downtown and kick some ass. A nice idea, if the sequel has a two player option then I'll scream. Like a girl. For a bit.

Let downs:
Zelda - the lastest in the series seemed to rest on its laurals in terms of gameplay. I'm tired of going to one dungeon, finding a bow, going to the next, finding a hookshot etc etc. Its getting too formulaic. The cutesy grapics, as nice as they where, just weren't enough. Must try harder.

Best Haircut -

Mine, I grew me hair long(er) this year.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.