GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Best [blank] of 2003"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 27/12/03 at 19:02
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Hey, let's do one of those nostalgia posts like what the BBC do, only without Stuart Maconie, Kate Thornton and Bobby Davro! If I could be bothered to add it all up, I'd probably find that the last year has seen me spend more money on pointless crap like CDs and DVDs than ever before, so let's have your best movies/music/books/games of 2003. Keep it sweet.

Best Film
---------
Tough one. Even though I'm probably biased because it's the last movie I saw at the cinema, I'm gonna say Return of the King. It had everything - huge battle scenes almost endless in scope, wonderfully subtle CGI and the kind of epic storyline you don't get from Hollywood blockbusters these days. A definite winner.

Also-rans: Finding Nemo is the best kids film I've ever seen (yes, better than Transformers the Movie). Roger Dodger is one of the slickest indie films I've seen for years, with a great central performance from Cambell Scott and another lovable rogue to go in the gallery. The Matrix movies deserve a mention just because they made me excited about movies (even if they were slightly saggy round the middle) and Punch Drunk Love made me feel different about so-called Romantic Comedies. Kill Bill, just because. I could reel of dozens of others, but these are the only ones I can think of off the bat.

Let Down: Terminator 3 wasn't awful, but it was no Terminator 2. Talk to der hand, guv'na.

Best Album
----------
It's a toss-up between Kings of Leon and The Strokes. In fact, Youth and Young Manhood probably sticks its neck out due to the fact it caught me completely by surprise, whereas I knew the Strokes album would be ace. Pure, good old fashioned southern-style rock and roll, played with real feeling and soul. The White Stripes could learn a lot from these tached freaks.

Also-rans: Muse's Absolution was so hard-hitting I was winded for several hours after hearing it - massively entertaining operatic rock with no equal, plus not so much of the squealing and piano jerking this time. If Coldplay's album came out this year then that deserves a mention, if simply for providing good, melodic tunes that stick in your head. The Yeah Yeah Yeah's album was alright, bit too squawky and lo-fi for me and there's countless other hip-hop albums I've bought and loved to mention here.

Let Down: I bought and loved the first two Basement Jaxx albums, and was indifferent to the third. Blur's Think Tank got tired quickly (I could just picture Damon Albarn's socialite mates all sitting round his coffee table, screeching "Oh, how 'bohemian' Damon") and both the Cooper Temple Clause and Black Rebel albums were crud compared to great first singles.

Best Book
---------
Can't exactly remember how many books I read this year (clue: you could count them on two hands) but the one that really stayed with me was Glamorama by Bret Easton Ellis. I know it's not a new book, but it's my list, so up yours. A wonderful story about a high-flying socialite called Victor and his jet-setting life, until Ellis twists the knife and sends him into a dark world of murder and terrorism that I totally didn't see coming. Kept me gripped until the last page, and afterwards too.

Also-rans: Chuck Paahallahahalaniuakalalak books make me smile, and Choke was probably the best of the bunch. Rules of Attraction passed the time too, even though I'd already seen the film.

Let Down: Hmm, I normally won't finish reading a book if it's crap. I didn't finish Less than Zero, so let's say that.

Best Game
---------
Despite most of my playing time going to Halo on Xbox, it's not this that takes the crown. No, Top Spin on Xbox has provided me with the most laughs, most thrills and most curses and it was only released about 6 weeks ago. It's not just any old game that makes me forget I've got Pro Evo Soccer 3 gathering dust on the shelf. A reason to get broadband and Xbox Live if ever there was one. Still makes me swear like a Tourettes.

Also-rans: Project Gotham is getting me hooked as we speak, and I super-enjoyed Knights of the Old Republic, although I guess I'll have to play it through again on the dark side to truly see how masterful it is. Tony Hawk Underground is wicked (although lack of Live play sucked) and Pro Evo 3 kept me busy for a while. SSX 3 also made me go \o/ for a little bit.

Let Down: Metroid Prime? Couldn't get to grips with it at all. I'm sure I wasn't doing it properly and there was buckets of action around the next corner, but it bored me to tears.

Best Single
-----------
Again, a close one, this time between the Cooper Temple Clause's Promises Promises (gargantuan bassline mixed with a rasping chorus) and Beyonce's Crazy in Love. The lady wins, although it has to be said, the video didn't do her any harm.

Best Telly
----------
24 kept me interested from start to finish, and unless something miraculous happens in the next 3 days, it'll have been the only series I've watched all the way through. Inventive, exciting and unpredictable.

Okay, I lost interest near the end but that's because I had some dinner. Now you go.
Wed 31/12/03 at 11:21
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Best album- 'Fire' by Electric Six. Pure genius with a good dollop of extreme stupidity.
Wed 31/12/03 at 11:13
Regular
Is it actually real Jet Li kung-fu or sub-Matrix Romeo Must Die wire fu Jet Li?
Wed 31/12/03 at 00:02
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Mr Snuggly wrote:
> Best Film

Has to be two:

Hero - ok it was made in 2001 but it's taken me that long to locate a copy and it *still* hasn't been released.
Directed by Zhang Yimou, it tells the story of Nameless (Jet Li) arriving at the palace of Qin to tell the king how he killed Broken Sword, Flying Snow & Sky - 3 assassins that have previously tried to kill the king.
Each segment of the story is told in flashback, and each flashback has a different colour and tone. Costumes, backgrounds, everything is red/blue/green/white. Stunning cinamatography, incredible kung-fu (the section where Nameless & Flying Snow deflect the arrows from the archers of Qin in one of the most beautiful sequences I've ever seen).
It's got everything I love in films. A good story, narrative structure that makes you pay attention, kung-fu...everything.
OR
Finding Nemo.
Because I love Pixar movies. And Eric Bana does the voice of a shark.
And the lass I went to see it with wore a skirt with zero underneath, because I told her to. Missed the middle 30 mins or so of the movie, but that's why Region 1 DVDs rule. Felt somehow wrong doing that in a kid's movie but hey, I'm me.

> Let Down:
Terminator 3. Absolutely awful in every respect. Poor plot with holes wide enough to drive a truck through (how did General's daughter get into a top-secret military base with a heavily armed Austrian wearing sunglasses????), risible dialogue "Talk to der hand" and ideas cribbed from both previous Terminator movies. I will never, ever watch Terminator 4 if it's made and I pray Arnie keels over from his faulty pigs heart in penitance for this floater.

> Best Album
"Pure Rock Fury" - Clutch.
No-nonsense rock and roll. Has songs called "Smoke Banshee" "Careful with that mic", it's rock. Still evolving from their early shouty/angry hardcore days into a wah-wah soaked, heavy blues jam outfit. Best band since Led Zeppelin.

Also-rans:
Kings of Leon.
Because Lynyrd Skynyrd aren't making music anymore and these are the next best thing.
St Anger.
Metallica realising they turned into make-up wearing bennies and recruiting Rob Trujillo from Suicidal Tendencies. I don't care what you think about it, it's made me like them again. I'll just bypass the Black album, Load, Re-Load & S&M thankyouverymuch.

Let Down:
Radiohead "Hail to The Thief"
Yet another leap into boring sub-Warp redundancy. How can you go from writing "Street Spirit" and "Paranoid Android" to a band that felches out crap electronica with that listless student at the helm?
Terrible, terrible.

> Best Book
> ---------
The Dirt - Autobiography of Motley Crue.
Not a fan of the music, but this book made me a fan of them as people.
The most disgusting, filthy, sub-human people I've ever read about. And it's all true. Any book that starts "Tommy was dating a girl we called Bullwinkle. We called her that because she looked like a moose, but he wouldn't dump her because she could spray her cum across the room" is going to be entertaining.

> Let Down:
Chuck Pahlnukiakak.
Saw you people raving over it, so bought "Choke" and "Survivor" in a sale.
Christ...that man must thank god for David Fincher every single day, because if it wasn't for Fight Club, he'd remain an obscure author bashing the keys and people mistaking it for "daring" and "brave" etc etc.
Schoolboy descriptions of sex and the most whimsical of plots. I suppose you either like him or just think "...".

> Best Game
> ---------

Knights of The Old Republic.
Long, involving, better plot than the films.
And you get to slaughter your wookiee companion and the little girl if you go dark side.
Yes.

> Also-rans:
Call of Duty - best WW2 FPS ever.
Tiger Woods 2003 - good fun and I don't suck at it.
Tony Hawks Underground - the story-based missions are better than the previous timed based rubbish, and it had Clutch on the soundtrack.
Max Payne 2. Because it's the 1st game, but turned up to 11

> Let Down:
Unreal Tournament 2003.
Took it back the same day I bought it. Reeks of ass.

> Best Single
> -----------
Either "Molly's Chamber" by Kings of Leon or "Crazy in Love" by Beyonce.

> Best Telly
> ----------
Er....the only thing I've bothered to make a point of watching was The Office, so that
Tue 30/12/03 at 21:26
"possibly impossible"
English_Bloke wrote:
> Bobby Davros

Images of a dodgy comedian in a Dalek chair doing that 'speeded up record' joke while yelling "Exterminate"
Tue 30/12/03 at 21:10
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
Best TV moment could actually be Bobby Davros dive in, “The Games”, after the original, “OOOOH!” and covering of the crotch, I laughed.
Tue 30/12/03 at 20:53
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
Best film: I haven’t had the chance to see many films at the cinema this year, and most of the films I’ve bought have been highly average. I enjoyed most of Bruce Almighty, but the best film I’ve watched this year, (although not released this year), was About A Boy.

Best album: In my view it’s a toss up between Escapology and that Daniel Beddingfield one. That’s right, I listen to girly music.

Best book: It was this year that I started to read Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy.

Best single: Crazy In Love was highly head-catchy, and the video was floor-tongue-scrapey.

Best game: I haven’t played too much this year; I would probably say Broken Sword 3.

Best Telly: I find some of Little Britain entertaining, but The Office Christmas specials were just brimming with true laugh moments.
Tue 30/12/03 at 20:47
"slightlyshortertagl"
pb wrote:
> so it's Vice
> City with The Simpsons, but on the other hand: It's Vice City with
> The Simpsons..

You meant so it's Vice City with The Simpsons, but on the other hand: It's The sSimpsons with Vice City

You did.
Tue 30/12/03 at 20:44
"possibly impossible"
Best Film
---------
Well, I haven't seen Return of the King yet, so what else is there? Pirates of the Carribean was good fun, I suppose. Hm, just made me realise how few of this year's films I've actually seen.

> Best Album
> ----------
Evanescence was a surprise for me, though I thought their first single would be a one off, it grew on me (plus it was in Daredevil) so much that I got the album and I was glad I did.

Electric Six's Fire was also a good surprise. Although they are tongue firmly in cheek, it works well and has been listened to a lot.

As for disappointments, The new Travis album just seemed a bit too cliched and political to be fun.

Best Book
---------
It's not a book that came out this year, but as I'm still catching up, "Spanish Lessons: Beginning a New Life in Spain" is great reading, it's a funny travel guide in the guise of a story about the author settling in Southern Spain and the clash of cultures that takes place. Very good reading for my eventual plans...

Best Game
---------
So many to choose from this year! Simpsons Hit and Run was a nice change from all the bad Simpsons games before it, ok, so it's Vice City with The Simpsons, but on the other hand: It's Vice City with The Simpsons..

I loved Star Wars Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike as well, I know the on-foot sections are pretty bad, but it's worth all that for the multi-player mode: Xwing vs Tie Fighter over the Deathstar is great.

Need for Speed Underground was pretty impressive too and worth a mention, as is Mario Kart DD.

Best Telly
----------
hm. Not much caught my eye this year on TV, the last episode of Buffy perhaps, or Strange. That's about it other than the Eastenders episode where Alfie manages to steal Kat away on her wedding day; so bad it's good territory.
Tue 30/12/03 at 20:43
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
Probably the one last night.

*Re-reads title*

Oh, my mistake.
Tue 30/12/03 at 20:37
Regular
Best movie
-----------
Pirates of the Cartibbean. I didn't see this at the cinema because my mates have crap taste in films and wouldn't come with me. So I bought it on DVD as soon as it came out and I think I must have seen it more than ten times now. It's a fantastic swashbuckling adventure from start to finish with an amazing score....Oh and Johhny Depp...Scccchhhhhhaaaaawwwwwwwiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnggggg!

Also-rans: Finding Nemo; "Mine...mine.." "I can speak whale" I won't go as far as to say it's better than Transformers the movie....cos that would just be wrong. So instead I'll silently agree with Snuggly...hey that ryhmes!

Worst movie: CAMP. My eyes bled because of this film. Utter shiite.

Best Book
--------
No one else will find the funny side to this because it really was a "You had to be there" moment...but.
The Bravest Bear Ever.
Bought it my mate for her 21st hoping it was a book she read and loved when she were a wee lass. But I got the wrong one, but she insisted on reading it to us on the way to dinner.
(Trust me, it really was funny)

Best Game
---------
Bit of a crap year for games if you ask me. The only one I've managed to play from start to finish without getting bored was Zelda on the Cube. So thats my choice.
It had a good solid...ok simple but solid story line.

Also rans: Red Alert 2, and Roller Coaster Tycoon.

Best Telly
---------
Ummmmm Angel.
Yes.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.