GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Best [blank] of 2003"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 27/12/03 at 19:02
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Hey, let's do one of those nostalgia posts like what the BBC do, only without Stuart Maconie, Kate Thornton and Bobby Davro! If I could be bothered to add it all up, I'd probably find that the last year has seen me spend more money on pointless crap like CDs and DVDs than ever before, so let's have your best movies/music/books/games of 2003. Keep it sweet.

Best Film
---------
Tough one. Even though I'm probably biased because it's the last movie I saw at the cinema, I'm gonna say Return of the King. It had everything - huge battle scenes almost endless in scope, wonderfully subtle CGI and the kind of epic storyline you don't get from Hollywood blockbusters these days. A definite winner.

Also-rans: Finding Nemo is the best kids film I've ever seen (yes, better than Transformers the Movie). Roger Dodger is one of the slickest indie films I've seen for years, with a great central performance from Cambell Scott and another lovable rogue to go in the gallery. The Matrix movies deserve a mention just because they made me excited about movies (even if they were slightly saggy round the middle) and Punch Drunk Love made me feel different about so-called Romantic Comedies. Kill Bill, just because. I could reel of dozens of others, but these are the only ones I can think of off the bat.

Let Down: Terminator 3 wasn't awful, but it was no Terminator 2. Talk to der hand, guv'na.

Best Album
----------
It's a toss-up between Kings of Leon and The Strokes. In fact, Youth and Young Manhood probably sticks its neck out due to the fact it caught me completely by surprise, whereas I knew the Strokes album would be ace. Pure, good old fashioned southern-style rock and roll, played with real feeling and soul. The White Stripes could learn a lot from these tached freaks.

Also-rans: Muse's Absolution was so hard-hitting I was winded for several hours after hearing it - massively entertaining operatic rock with no equal, plus not so much of the squealing and piano jerking this time. If Coldplay's album came out this year then that deserves a mention, if simply for providing good, melodic tunes that stick in your head. The Yeah Yeah Yeah's album was alright, bit too squawky and lo-fi for me and there's countless other hip-hop albums I've bought and loved to mention here.

Let Down: I bought and loved the first two Basement Jaxx albums, and was indifferent to the third. Blur's Think Tank got tired quickly (I could just picture Damon Albarn's socialite mates all sitting round his coffee table, screeching "Oh, how 'bohemian' Damon") and both the Cooper Temple Clause and Black Rebel albums were crud compared to great first singles.

Best Book
---------
Can't exactly remember how many books I read this year (clue: you could count them on two hands) but the one that really stayed with me was Glamorama by Bret Easton Ellis. I know it's not a new book, but it's my list, so up yours. A wonderful story about a high-flying socialite called Victor and his jet-setting life, until Ellis twists the knife and sends him into a dark world of murder and terrorism that I totally didn't see coming. Kept me gripped until the last page, and afterwards too.

Also-rans: Chuck Paahallahahalaniuakalalak books make me smile, and Choke was probably the best of the bunch. Rules of Attraction passed the time too, even though I'd already seen the film.

Let Down: Hmm, I normally won't finish reading a book if it's crap. I didn't finish Less than Zero, so let's say that.

Best Game
---------
Despite most of my playing time going to Halo on Xbox, it's not this that takes the crown. No, Top Spin on Xbox has provided me with the most laughs, most thrills and most curses and it was only released about 6 weeks ago. It's not just any old game that makes me forget I've got Pro Evo Soccer 3 gathering dust on the shelf. A reason to get broadband and Xbox Live if ever there was one. Still makes me swear like a Tourettes.

Also-rans: Project Gotham is getting me hooked as we speak, and I super-enjoyed Knights of the Old Republic, although I guess I'll have to play it through again on the dark side to truly see how masterful it is. Tony Hawk Underground is wicked (although lack of Live play sucked) and Pro Evo 3 kept me busy for a while. SSX 3 also made me go \o/ for a little bit.

Let Down: Metroid Prime? Couldn't get to grips with it at all. I'm sure I wasn't doing it properly and there was buckets of action around the next corner, but it bored me to tears.

Best Single
-----------
Again, a close one, this time between the Cooper Temple Clause's Promises Promises (gargantuan bassline mixed with a rasping chorus) and Beyonce's Crazy in Love. The lady wins, although it has to be said, the video didn't do her any harm.

Best Telly
----------
24 kept me interested from start to finish, and unless something miraculous happens in the next 3 days, it'll have been the only series I've watched all the way through. Inventive, exciting and unpredictable.

Okay, I lost interest near the end but that's because I had some dinner. Now you go.
Wed 31/12/03 at 16:15
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Goatboy wrote:
> And the lass I went to see it with wore a skirt with zero underneath,
> because I told her to. Missed the middle 30 mins or so of the movie,
> but that's why Region 1 DVDs rule. Felt somehow wrong doing that in a
> kid's movie but hey, I'm me.

Ewwww.
Wed 31/12/03 at 16:04
Regular
"A.K.A QAWSEDRFTGYH"
Best Movie:

Return of the king followed by Gangs of New York

Let downs: Fear dot com, most disgusting movie ever it shouldn't even be called a movie there's practically no plot.

Best Album:

Linkin Park Meteora great songs

Best Game:

A tie between Metroid Prime and Vice city for Xbox

Best Book:
No Idea probably The lost years of Merlin series.
Wed 31/12/03 at 13:38
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Stryke wrote:
> Wait until the Six Nations, my friend. Oh yes. Or better yet, how old
> is your team on average? You'll have SuperJonny and that's it by the
> next World Cup. And say he gets injured. Maybe you won't even get
> past Samoa next time...

HA!

Yes, because the upcoming England talent isn't any good.

HHAHAAA!
Wed 31/12/03 at 12:14
Regular
Where'd best DVD go?

Hrmmm...?

I'd Have to Say Futurama Season 4. It always seems like they put so much effort into making it. Put all the DVD's together and they make a picture. Put them all side by side and they make another. Each Disk also has separate artwork, as does the cover, and each episode has commentary. Plus, it's fookin' great to watch.

(Never saw the Indiana Jones or Alien Boxsets)
Wed 31/12/03 at 12:02
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Stryke wrote:
> Is it actually real Jet Li kung-fu or sub-Matrix Romeo Must Die wire
> fu Jet Li?
---

No it's the real deal.
Set in fuedal era China. Think Crouching Tiger but not with an eye towards Western audiences.

The fights that stand out, that really should be seen to be believed are:
The Chess-House.
Between Nameless & Long Sky. Rain drippping from tiled roofs, they have a mini-showdown and then Nameless tells an old wizened musician to play another song, and they both fight "in their minds".
Which cues lots of traditional Chinese-cinema style kung-fu. And a stunning sequence where Broken Sword throws up loads of water to distract Nameless, who proceeds to run through the drops that have been frozen in time.
And the showdown between Nameless and Broken Sword on a lake.
It's like a ballet, the two guys fighting on the water's surface and bounding around all over the place. A mate of mine complained "But 'ow can they fight on water? That's stupid, and they don't fly either". I wanted to set him on fire and leave him with Kill-Bill and The Matrix for his kung-fu entertainment.

It's well worth trying to locate, a mate of mine ordered it from an Asian DVD site.
Here's some stills from the movie to give you an idea of how incredibly beautiful it is:

http://outnow.ch/Media/Img/2002/Hero/
Wed 31/12/03 at 11:59
Regular
Wait until the Six Nations, my friend. Oh yes. Or better yet, how old is your team on average? You'll have SuperJonny and that's it by the next World Cup. And say he gets injured. Maybe you won't even get past Samoa next time...
Wed 31/12/03 at 11:48
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Imagine Wales were any good.

Hmmmm?

:P
Wed 31/12/03 at 11:26
Regular
Well, imagine we'd actually beaten you in the quarters and not ballsed up our lead and grip on the match, and it was Stephen Jones slotting that winning dropkick over in the last few seconds. How would you feel?
Wed 31/12/03 at 11:25
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Cyclone wrote:
> Stryke wrote:
> Cyclone wrote:
>
> Best Telly
> ----------
> >Final seconds of RWC final.
>
> --
>
> That was my Worst Telly. I was on the phone with my dad and we were
> both yelling "MISS IT, MISS IT, YOU ENGLISH [explitive
> deleted]" But then Jonny decided to ruin my life. Stupid
> English
> brotherpucker.
>
> Hmmm. Is that, er, a slight anti-English tinge I see?

Anti- English? Kill! Kill! Kill!

*Reaches for rusty pitchfork*
Wed 31/12/03 at 11:22
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Stryke wrote:
> Cyclone wrote:
>
> Best Telly
> ----------
> >Final seconds of RWC final.
>
> --
>
> That was my Worst Telly. I was on the phone with my dad and we were
> both yelling "MISS IT, MISS IT, YOU ENGLISH [explitive
> deleted]" But then Jonny decided to ruin my life. Stupid English
> brotherpucker.

Hmmm. Is that, er, a slight anti-English tinge I see?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.