GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I'm sure you all know by now..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 12/12/03 at 17:50
Regular
"you've got a beard"
but Challenge TV is showing the first series of GamesMaster at 7.30pm most weekday evenings.

half an hour of supreme retro action, plus it seems a lot more innuendo laden now i'm older.. BONUS! :)

favourtite moment from yesterday was getting all nostalgic watching a PREVIEW of the Chaos Engine on the Atari ST, Amiga and "IBM" PC.. estimated realease date? July '92!!!!

ahhhhhhhh, *goes all misty eyed*
Wed 17/12/03 at 11:01
Regular
mean yob, that was it. high - larious.

One reply has stuck in my brain for all these years :

".... I bet you get up to strange perversions with your old jock strap and a lubricated garden gnome, you've got skidmarks the length of the M4 ....."

oh mean yob, where have you gone?
Wed 17/12/03 at 09:39
Regular
"you've got a beard"
All Hail C&VG!!
my first gaming mag.. i got it cos i was coming back from the doctors, off school sick and needed summat to read... and behold i was hooked..

that it, until Mean Machines came along.. that, my friends, was the revolution! although they did just rob a load of C&VG ideas and put "mean" infront of it ("mean yob" anyone?) still, anything featuring Julian Rignalls mullet and a guy who LEGALLY changed his name to "Radeon Automatic" after a washing powder deserves respect :)
Wed 17/12/03 at 00:34
"I love yo... lamp."
ßora† SagdiyeV wrote:
> still, nice breasts like I say,

Utterly mesmerising.
Tue 16/12/03 at 23:49
Regular
my favourite oldskool mag was C&VG. I know we still have that, but about 10 years ago that mag was brilliant. They had a letters section with a guy called 'yob' answering all the questions. He insulted people so much, and in such graphic vulgar ways, that the magazine was told off by some governing body or somesort.

I used to sit there and laugh out loud at some of the horrible suggestions he gave to young kids asking 'dear yob, which is the best? super nintendo or megadrive?'
Tue 16/12/03 at 22:41
Regular
"eat toast!"
i've heard rumours that the government restrict gaming tv because it isn't as educational as music (or so i have been told).

Still gamepad wasn't particulary long was it/ it seemed to take several month of news and then went silent. Hardly anything new was there.

I remember gamesmaster the magazine being far better then it was now. Had a lot more reviews, a lot more pages, more funny, more presentable, more detailed and wasn't as cheap unlike now which makes it so much trash to read now.
Tue 16/12/03 at 18:50
Regular
Gamesville was terrible - you'd think that television producers would have cottoned on to the fact that a large percentage of gamers these days are adults, and as such do not want to be patronised by a couple of cretins who look like they have never used a computer in their lives.

That guru was scary if anything - scary that anyone would think that acting like that would be in any way 'cool' or entertaining.

Gamesmaster was the best show, hands down, although I can't see us getting that back. Gamesworld wasn't bad, but got tedious at times. I've already mentioned Gamesville. Gamepad has to be the best at the moment, although it always seems to be well out of date. Gamepad4 is pretty recent, but I think it's safe to say we'll have to wait a whole year for Gamepad5, so it'll become stale pretty quickly.

There's also cybernet, which isn't that bad either, but is shown at 2:45 in the morning, which is ridiculous.

Considering how big the gaming industry is, you'd think someone would have the sense to make a decent regular programme, with mature, well informed presenters, rather than idiots that look like they were extras in a hip-hop video, and an audience of little brats.
Tue 16/12/03 at 13:57
Regular
"eat toast!"
well, to be honest i liked it because

a) gamepad 4 wasn't around till later
B) I watch the games and look at them and laugh at the reviews
c) Cringe and laugh at their somewhat over the top acting and the people who try to act hard on the show.

Ultermate gamer isn't as good. The last time they say play it or don't play it, she gave a somewhat crap response to the world. I felt a bit peeved that she didn't give us a result.

Mind you, time commanders last night was hilarious with those cadets putting up a somewhat cack handed approach to salvaging anything that could give them a win. Win a battle with 2 archer units against an army that hasn't been trashed? i laughed at their attempt. Classic.
Tue 16/12/03 at 10:49
Regular
"you've got a beard"
ßulle††™ wrote:
> And the Guru. Say no more. He must either get paid a helluva lot to
> act like such a prat, or he's mentally deficient.

a little from column A, a little from column B :)
his cue card placement is beyond obvious, AND after all these years they just recycled an old gamesmaster costume.. he's got the sme robe as the "monk" (dave perry, btw fact fans :) ) on series 1 of GM who brought out the Golden Joysticks :)

> *goes to email 'the boyz'*

do it, everyone should.
one way or another this show needs to end. it's doing more harm than good.
if THIS is a vision of gamers now then things really have hit rock bottom.

their scripts are just copies of themselves.. and those AWFUL made-up "viewer questions" are beyond painful.
"well J, today we're reviewing *whatever* 2"
-"that's great, as you know, i'm a HUGE fan of the first *whatever*"
"this one has better graffix"
-"really?? maximum points!!"

ARRRRRGGGH!!!!! :)
Tue 16/12/03 at 10:36
Regular
Very_Metal wrote:
> i have indeed emailed [email protected] and asked them politely
> not to make another series. i also emailed [email protected] and
> asked if he could shed any wisdom as to how a show this bad was ever
> commissioned.

Lol! You've given me ideas now! It really is a terrible, fake, annoying show (which I sometimes always seem to watch - when there's nothing else on, mind). The presenters know naff all about games, the 'mobile pad' needs nuking, as do all the geeks that turn up on the show when surely they must have something better to do.

"Yeh, am guna whup ya, innit? Fo' real am dabest, rrrrespek!"

And the Guru. Say no more. He must either get paid a helluva lot to act like such a prat, or he's mentally deficient.

*goes to email 'the boyz'*
Tue 16/12/03 at 10:27
Regular
"you've got a beard"
spoonbeast wrote:
> remember bad influence? Well, shes changed quite a lot from then
> hasn't she?

yiiiiiiip, for the better :)

> Gamesville? now somehow it was entertaining in a cheesy way.

it certainly was not my friend....
it's all that is evil.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.