GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I'm sure you all know by now..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 12/12/03 at 17:50
Regular
"you've got a beard"
but Challenge TV is showing the first series of GamesMaster at 7.30pm most weekday evenings.

half an hour of supreme retro action, plus it seems a lot more innuendo laden now i'm older.. BONUS! :)

favourtite moment from yesterday was getting all nostalgic watching a PREVIEW of the Chaos Engine on the Atari ST, Amiga and "IBM" PC.. estimated realease date? July '92!!!!

ahhhhhhhh, *goes all misty eyed*
Thu 25/12/03 at 13:34
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Two great games, Lotus and Robocod.

Lotus 2 was very tricky but it wasn't impossible. I spent many a day racing around that you know what to expect in the end.

Robocod was all about sticking with it. I've finished the game without cheats so it is possible.
Thu 25/12/03 at 09:31
Regular
"eat toast!"
turbo challenge 2 (lotus 2?) is one of the hardest driving games i've ever played. I could only go to fog level and that was it. the game was close to impossible to complete.

Mind you if you go to arcades in america the fbi and other agencies place slogans like winners don't take drugs or don't drop litter or something. It really was interesting to see that though.

I don't know about robocod, the game was so long and difficult that it was really depressing to play through each one. I've completed it with cheats though.
Wed 24/12/03 at 15:22
Regular
"you've got a beard"
ßora† SagdiyeV wrote:
> Very_Metal wrote:
> i completed Turrican 2 on the C64, great end sequence and top-notch
> music :)
>
> yeah, the music I can still remember now - although I am talking
> about the amiga version. the amiga had some of the most memorable
> soundtracks ever for me - most notable : turrican 2, lotus turbo
> challenge series,

Lotus 2 had anti-piracy messages hidden in the music.
you could export the main theme into OctaMED and turn all the sounds off except the last audio layer, there was a sample really low in the mix of some guy saying "you will NOT copy this game"!!
freaky but true! :)

supercars 2, it came from the desert, project x,

Project X was just a great game :)

> blood money etc. compared to the PC sound effects at the time
> (bleeps and crappy whining sounds) it was like an orchestra. I had
> several music demos at the time - Jesus on E's, Spaceballs, which had
> some excellent techno music and visuals on. I find it hard to fault
> the machine, it's just a shame it was eclipsed by the incredibly fast
> moving console and PC world.

yeah, some of the MOD files yo could get from Bulletin Boards (remember them? :) ) were pretty damn good as well...
>
> Gunstar heros, viro cop, cannon fodder 1 and 2, speed ball are
> fantastic games.

> cannon fodder was superb, another game with great music, I remember
> the haunting lament you got after each mission,

yeah, VERY atmospheric.. even if war never HAD been so much fun ;)

> Had both speed ball games, the second was particularly good,
> with that guy shooting 'Ice Scream' all the time :D

*lol* yeah, during the replays :)
>
> a few titles that may arouse some memories : Hunter, International
> Karate +,

*presses " T " * :)))))

Hired Guns,

classic. criminaly overlooked!!

Robocod,

dynamite

> Pinball Dreams/Fantasies,

the "Steel Wheel" table on Dreams was top notch!!

Rick Dangerous,

not to self - that big boulder at the start of Rick Dangerous 2 is NOT "rolling bonus" *lmao*

> Shadow of the Beast,

the background scrolling on these games was legendary. really set the level.. before "Brian the Lion" beat it :)

> Silkworm,

still a wonderful 2-player experience

> Zany Golf.

of COURSE you have to click the giant burger to make it hop.. why WOULDN'T you?!?!?! :D
Tue 23/12/03 at 09:15
Regular
"eat toast!"
"i love all of those... except ViroCop, which doesn't ring much of a bell..
were you a little yellow robot thing roaming around the place?? "

Thats right. It had a unique 2 player mode where one person moves the other shoots. The game was somewhat easy and obtaining the best equipment was a waste of time as you needed to scarifice the earlier, more needed basic weapons for something that was far more limited. Funny game though.

Whiles cannon fodder was great, i felt that the ending was a real cop out. Especially cannon fodder 2 (something along the lines of well done or something. I wasn't very happy at the time and the ending made the situation even worse). Turrican 2 had a classic part when your ship was damaged and was a race to get to the robot mechanics great, music and idea. Mind you, the last level music with all those exploding lifts were good.

Oh if you haven't played turrican 3 yet, then you might not know of the scrap yard where the mid level boss (the giant robot that comes up from the ground) makes a come back as a piece of scrap metal.
Mon 22/12/03 at 20:31
Regular
Very_Metal wrote:
> i completed Turrican 2 on the C64, great end sequence and top-notch
> music :)

yeah, the music I can still remember now - although I am talking about the amiga version. the amiga had some of the most memorable soundtracks ever for me - most notable : turrican 2, lotus turbo challenge series, supercars 2, it came from the desert, project x, blood money etc. compared to the PC sound effects at the time (bleeps and crappy whining sounds) it was like an orchestra. I had several music demos at the time - Jesus on E's, Spaceballs, which had some excellent techno music and visuals on. I find it hard to fault the machine, it's just a shame it was eclipsed by the incredibly fast moving console and PC world.

> fantastic games.
>

cannon fodder was superb, another game with great music, I remember the haunting lament you got after each mission, where it showed you the obituaries. great stuff, don't think I ever played the second game. Had both speed ball games, the second was particularly good, with that guy shooting 'Ice Scream' all the time :D

a few titles that may arouse some memories : Hunter, International Karate +, Hired Guns, Robocod, Midwinter, Operation Stealth, Pinball Dreams/Fantasies, Rick Dangerous, Shadow of the Beast, Shufflepuck Cafe, Silkworm, Virus, Weird Dreams, Zany Golf.
Mon 22/12/03 at 18:49
Regular
"you've got a beard"
spoonbeast wrote:
> turrican 2 and 3 were much better. Turrican 2 had a sort of spaceship
> shoot them up and the bosses were far better.

i completed Turrican 2 on the C64, great end sequence and top-notch music :)

> I have yet to play terminator as this game wasn't my cup of tea.
> Perhaps when i get a emulator maybe?

*lol* my bad mate... by "T2" i meant Turrican, not terminator..
that's my fault...
oh, and do yerself a favour, DON'T play the terminator 2 game :)

> fantastic games.

i love all of those... except ViroCop, which doesn't ring much of a bell..
were you a little yellow robot thing roaming around the place??
Mon 22/12/03 at 14:08
Regular
"eat toast!"
turrican 2 and 3 were much better. Turrican 2 had a sort of spaceship shoot them up and the bosses were far better.

I have yet to play terminator as this game wasn't my cup of tea. Perhaps when i get a emulator maybe?

Gunstar heros, viro cop, cannon fodder 1 and 2, speed ball are fantastic games.
Mon 22/12/03 at 09:36
Regular
"you've got a beard"
the turrican games were the proverbial pooches plums...
T2 in particular was ace!
Sun 21/12/03 at 15:11
Regular
turrican 2 I had, still have it for the emulator too.
a classic
Sun 21/12/03 at 11:36
Regular
spoonbeast wrote:
> what about turrican? that was brilliant!

oh MAN i suddenly remember playing a demo of that game on my amiga. MAN!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.