GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo DS Vs. X-box 360"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 15/05/05 at 00:02
Regular
It is safe to say I am REALLY looking forward to Zelda and Pokemon XD this year (and Geist to a smaller but otherwise essential degree), 2 Christmas treats.

But as a Christmas present I WAS planning on getting a Nintendo DS. Already there are some games I'd like, Pac-Pix, Mario 64 DS, Wario Ware, Touch! Kirby and Yoshi's Touch and Go. But the Christmas line up looks immense. Nintendogs appears a good laugh, Snowboard Kids is back and I am truly looking forward to Goeman. Don't get me started on Mario and Luigi 2 (Dances) and Metroid Prime. It is also online and I have wi-fi (yay).

I have no intention on getting a PSP (even if I do love Medievil) but Microsoft's new system looks the nuts!

A few good games at E3 could easily sway me.

So what do you think?
Sun 15/05/05 at 19:30
Regular
"8==="
Hedfix wrote:
> you can bang on about
> "standardised" PC's all you like but you still won't get
> round things like friend lists, other people's willingness to get a
> PC, mouse and keyboard issues vs controllers and console exclusive
> games.

I put it in bold because you seem to have trouble grasping these points.
Sun 15/05/05 at 19:33
Regular
"bit of a brain"
ok if you're too simple to understand:

Gamespy, Xfire - offer the exact same service as Live - your oh so precious "friends list".

As for the whole keyboard mouse thing - STANDARDISED INPUTS. And what's to sto Microsoft releasing a keyboard and mouse for the 360? THen you have the exact same problem, don't you?

And what on earth are you on about convincing your friends to get a PC? Think about how stupid and petty that point is. Convincing your friends to buy a £200 PC is exactly the same as convincing them to buy a £200 console.

Good enough for you?
Sun 15/05/05 at 19:36
Regular
"Mozzy"
With the Xbox 360 you can also lie down and play it, thats a good point if you're like me and can't be bothered to sit up and play a game and would rather just lie down and play it.

With a PC you can't do that, you have to sit on a chair damaging your back and imo it isn't very comfortable.

And also, who would want to pay £100s of pounds just to play a game with better graphics than a console game?
Sun 15/05/05 at 19:37
Regular
"bot"
what's up with this friends list thing?

there are loads of things that do that on PC, including Gamespy and Xfire, which gerrid already mentioned. A lot of games also have their own friends system built into the online mode.

And if playing with a controller against mouse-using players means you die a lot, that's just because your control method is inferior.
Sun 15/05/05 at 19:38
Regular
"bot"
Mozzy wrote:
> With the Xbox 360 you can also lie down and play it, thats a good
> point if you're like me and can't be bothered to sit up and play a
> game and would rather just lie down and play it.
>
> With a PC you can't do that, you have to sit on a chair damaging your
> back and imo it isn't very comfortable.

plug in a controller, start up your game, lie down.
Difficult, wasn't it?
Sun 15/05/05 at 19:39
Regular
"Mozzy"
But...well...erm...nevermind.
Sun 15/05/05 at 19:39
Regular
"8==="
gerrid wrote:
> ok if you're too simple to understand:

As we shall see, further down, the opposite is quite clearly the case.
>
> Gamespy, Xfire - offer the exact same service as Live - your oh so
> precious "friends list".

And I can transfer this over easily like Xbox to 360? Oh that'd be a no then. Plus would some of my american friends go out and buy a PC because I felt like changing format? I don't think so. Please think about things a little more.

>
> As for the whole keyboard mouse thing - STANDARDISED INPUTS. And
> what's to sto Microsoft releasing a keyboard and mouse for the 360?
> THen you have the exact same problem, don't you?

Because we have PC's for that and they're trying to gain casual gamers not alienate them. Do you understand nothing?

>
> And what on earth are you on about convincing your friends to get a
> PC? Think about how stupid and petty that point is.

Think about how true it is. I may ask them tomorrow and post their responses although I doubt the filter will let most of them through.

Convincing your
> friends to buy a £200 PC is exactly the same as convincing them
> to buy a £200 console.

Yeah, try converting your average playstation owner over to a PC.

>
> Good enough for you?

you missed the exclusives
Sun 15/05/05 at 19:41
Regular
"bot"
I think you're missing the point, ballface.

The XBox 360 is a 'standardised, simplified PC' in the sense that it allows people to get some of the benefits of PC gaming without the complexities that a lot of people find off-putting.
Sun 15/05/05 at 19:47
Regular
"8==="
I know that you idiot.

Gerrid still hasn't answered my points to any satisfaction however much he goes on about 'standardised PC's'.
Sun 15/05/05 at 19:49
Regular
"bot"
gerrid wrote:
> the description of the 360 makes it
> sound like a PC:
>
> share photos, videos, interface with digital cameras, operating
> system designed by Microsoft, stands upright, files and folders - I
> can do all that on my PC right now. Even the controllers remind me of
> the old Microsoft Sidewinder

erm, all of what he said was true.
It's only when you decided to get all uppity that the argument started.

He didn't say it WAS a PC, he said it was LIKE a PC.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.