GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo DS Vs. X-box 360"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 15/05/05 at 00:02
Regular
It is safe to say I am REALLY looking forward to Zelda and Pokemon XD this year (and Geist to a smaller but otherwise essential degree), 2 Christmas treats.

But as a Christmas present I WAS planning on getting a Nintendo DS. Already there are some games I'd like, Pac-Pix, Mario 64 DS, Wario Ware, Touch! Kirby and Yoshi's Touch and Go. But the Christmas line up looks immense. Nintendogs appears a good laugh, Snowboard Kids is back and I am truly looking forward to Goeman. Don't get me started on Mario and Luigi 2 (Dances) and Metroid Prime. It is also online and I have wi-fi (yay).

I have no intention on getting a PSP (even if I do love Medievil) but Microsoft's new system looks the nuts!

A few good games at E3 could easily sway me.

So what do you think?
Sun 15/05/05 at 17:46
Regular
Home Consoles > handhelds
Sun 15/05/05 at 17:47
Regular
Whitestripes DX wrote:
> Home Consoles handhelds

Yeah that's what I'm thinking...

But the DS is something different.

I dunno.

Depends on the 360's price.

Or I could save my pennies till Revolution
Sun 15/05/05 at 17:49
Regular
Whitestripes DX wrote:
> Home Consoles > handhelds

I wouldn't worry about Revolution, long way off I reckon. Almost certainly have the cheapest launch price too.
Sun 15/05/05 at 17:50
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I thought you took a bus to uni every day and were looking for something to do on the 30 minutes journey, or whatever. What happened to that?
Sun 15/05/05 at 17:50
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Dringo wrote:
> So the DS is only good if you take it around with you?

Not at all, but isn't that some of the point of the DS? Surely if they didn't intend it to be portable they'd have made it bigger.
Sun 15/05/05 at 17:51
Regular
"bit of a brain"
According to the company making the 1T-SRAM it'll be released end Q2 2006.
Sun 15/05/05 at 17:57
"period drama"
I've really gone off my DS now - I loved it at first, but I won't be buying any more games for it for a while. Because there aren't actually any proper games for it - I hate to use the word gimmicky, because it sounds bad, but most of the games are so. Just slight expansions on a core theme - either shallow quick-fire games, or ones that take about 2 days to finish completely.

Until it gets Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Metroid Hunters etc - all the proper games - I'm not really interested.

As for next-gen consoles ... I'm still not decided.
It'll come down to the games, of course - and now, no one company is going to have much leverage over the others in terms of online play, which is now a major factor.

At the most basic level, out of anyone's games, the ones I want to take online are Ninty's. And that's that. But I've already aired my doubts about the Revolution - I just hope whatever they put forward won't ruin that online experience for me.

And the other two ... well, they're basically the same thing, really.
And PS2 has really done nothing for me recently in the games released for it, so it'll probably be XB360 - if either of them.

Soon ... soon ...
Sun 15/05/05 at 19:11
Regular
"Mozzy"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> I've really gone off my DS now - I loved it at first, but I won't be
> buying any more games for it for a while. Because there aren't
> actually any proper games for it - I hate to use the word gimmicky,
> because it sounds bad, but most of the games are so. Just slight
> expansions on a core theme - either shallow quick-fire games, or ones
> that take about 2 days to finish completely.

Finally someone speaks sense!
The DS isn't going to have many long games because you just can't have that on a handheld, thats why I never buy them.

However I did buy a GBA SP but thats only because it's cheap, the games are cheap and because of it's battery life I can play it while travelling.

You can't compare a handheld to a Home Console. You even said that if you got a DS you wouldn't be playing it on-the-go so why would you want it when you could play what could be the most powerful home console in the world, play against thousands of people online and play games that last you more than 2 days.

I think you should get an Xbox 360, it's already got some games im excited about and it isn't even out yet! Whereas the DS hasn't got any games released that look worth paying £30 for.

I may be wrong, but the DS to me feels rushed and it doesn't feel like Nintendo have spent alot of time thinking about the games for the DS, I guarantee the DS will have more pointless games than games that have a storyline...which sucks imo.
Sun 15/05/05 at 19:24
Regular
"8==="
gerrid wrote:
> Ur you guys are so stupid sometimes. I said that the Xbox 360 sounds
> like a PC and looks like a PC. Oh and Hedfix, don't you understand
> the word "standardised"?

*Watches gerrid back away because he looks like a fool*

Does standardised mean exactly like 'Xbox 360'?

You still haven't answered most of my points, you can bang on about "standardised" PC's all you like but you still won't get round things like friend lists, other people's willingness to get a PC, mouse and keyboard issues vs controllers and console exclusive games.

Do yourself a favour and shut up.
Sun 15/05/05 at 19:28
Regular
"bit of a brain"

Did you read my post? Gamespy? Xfire?

Standardised means that the components of the machine are all exactly the same - as in Microsoft have taken a PC, dumbed it down in some areas and called it a console. Too difficult for you to understand?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.