GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Upgrading to Broadband"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 29/11/03 at 20:12
Regular
I bet you guys get topics like this all the time, but I'm looking for a bit of advice now my town's getting connected on the 10th December (woo!). I live around 150-300m away from the exchange, and I'm currently with AOL on a fixed monthly rate.

Basically, I'm looking for a broadband service which provides a deal that is compatable with Xbox Live, uses ADSL (so I can be on the phone at the same time) and is 512Kbs or higher. So what are the best deals and what are you guys most pleased with?

I'll be doing my own research too, but nothing beats good old consumer advice/opinion.
Sat 29/11/03 at 20:12
Regular
I bet you guys get topics like this all the time, but I'm looking for a bit of advice now my town's getting connected on the 10th December (woo!). I live around 150-300m away from the exchange, and I'm currently with AOL on a fixed monthly rate.

Basically, I'm looking for a broadband service which provides a deal that is compatable with Xbox Live, uses ADSL (so I can be on the phone at the same time) and is 512Kbs or higher. So what are the best deals and what are you guys most pleased with?

I'll be doing my own research too, but nothing beats good old consumer advice/opinion.
Sat 29/11/03 at 20:17
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Well, i dont think AOL support xbox live, so that will be the first to go.
Sat 29/11/03 at 20:37
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Pipex.

Not AOL for love or money.
Sat 29/11/03 at 21:34
Regular
Anyone know what is required for Xbox Live with freeserve broadband?
Sat 29/11/03 at 22:06
Regular
"How Handy."
Eclipse, Nildram or Pipex are good and pretty cheap.
Sat 29/11/03 at 22:11
Regular
What d'you need with Pipex for Xbox Live?
Sat 29/11/03 at 22:15
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Maverick42 wrote:
> Anyone know what is required for Xbox Live with freeserve broadband?

Same as any other ISP. Either a Router instead of a modem, and a network card and some Cat5 cables(crossover or straight depending on whether you use a Router or a Modem).

Also in your first post you said you want ADSL, well thats all you will get as the exchange is upgrading to ADSL as thats the only service you can get.

You should be ok on distance, but even though your close in distance the phone lines may take a different route and you could loop a different way. Highly unlikey in your situation as your close.
Sat 29/11/03 at 22:20
Regular
I didn't think NTL required a router?

Can you tell me any cheap ones?
Sat 29/11/03 at 22:31
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Maverick42 wrote:
> I didn't think NTL required a router?
>
> Can you tell me any cheap ones?

You want be able to get NTL as thats cable. ADSL is different and this is what your getting on December 10th as thats the phone exchange which is getting upgraded.

You dont need a Router. You can use a modem if you wish. A router includes a modem and will keep connected all the time its switched on and will have built in ethernet ports(usually 4) this allows you to share the ADSL with 4 devices. Now if you get a modem as part of the ADSL package then getting a Router is pointless unless you need 2 or more things permantly connected.

With XBox Live its easy to get a crossover cable stick one end into a PC and the other into the XBox. PC needs to be on to use it.

Now if you dont get a modem with the ADSL package it may be worth getting a Router, but these are a good £70 for a decent one maybe up to £150 depending on if you want wireless built in.
Sat 29/11/03 at 22:47
Regular
Hmm.

Perhaps BT Yahoo might be the best choice then.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.