GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Stop it"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 23/11/03 at 20:02
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Post these suck-ass stories somewhere else.
Somebody needs to say it and I don't care about what you think of me enough to be the one to stand up and say it.

They suck.
Plain and simple.
Harsh but true. Deal with it.
Most of this first page are stories. Bad ones.
A couple are alright, but most are sub-A Level English lit essays on predictability.
"He sat in a big armchair in room. The room was big, he turned on a television. The television was big"
Christ....

"What do you know Goatboy? Who are you to tell us what to post and where? Blah blah blah blah"
I'm me, it's true, shut up.
"Intelligent discussion"
Nothing about the bombs in Turkey, nothing about Dubya's visit to London, nothing about the anniversary of JFK's assasination.
"Well I'm not interested in that stuff"
Well you should be. It's the world, it's what is going on around you, it's what will affect and shape the outcomes of your lives.
Or if you *are* going to write a short story, write one that is
(a) Interesting
(b) Has a point to it
(c) Doesn't involve murder/blood/vampires/war

You want to learn to write?
Great, take a ticket and join the back of line. It stretches waaaaaaay round the corner there, bring a packed lunch cos you'll be there a while.

You want to write seriously, you want it to be what, published?
Go for it.
But please, once you've written something, read it back to see if it can be improved. Give it to somebody that doesn't know you wrote it.
And stop crying when somebody says "That's terrible/sorry not interested/read it before/whatever".

Do me a favour you budding Danielle Steeles:
I'll set you a topic to write about in another thread, write your best attempt in there.
Your very best, re-write it again and then again.
Then submit it.
Write about what you know, something that matters to you. Inject it with yourself and not 5 sentences trying to describe the bloody temperature.

I'll pop back in a couple hours and give you the topic.
Trust me, I'm (in 2 years time) an English Teacher, and y'all are my students.

Just please stop bashing out gore stories with your forehead rods and getting huffy when somebody says "That reeks of ass".
Mon 24/11/03 at 16:51
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
A primitive "O" grade?
Mon 24/11/03 at 17:09
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Blank wrote:
> A primitive "O" grade?

Yeah, and he could blow through the hole to make circles of smoke wheel their way towards the offender in question.
Mon 24/11/03 at 18:00
Regular
"not dead"
Stop posting stories? No, I don't think so.

There are a few things I shalln't do though:

1) Post every single story I write on these forums.

2) Post the first draft of a story.

3) Post in every thread asking for people to read my story.

At the moment I'm writing a story about an old couple that go horse-riding. Why? I was experimenting with a morphology board. I'll write about murder if I want to. In fact, at the moment I'm also working on a mystery that will involve murder, and cats.

I've got some advice for others too. You want to write? Then read. Read classics. Read contempory. Read everything.

You think the feedback here will improve you as a writer? Depends upon whether you're just getting the good, or if people are willing to take a moment to tell you if you story is full of exposition, if the dialogue doesn't work, if the character has no motivation to do what he does - things like that.

Study grammar, get it right, or nobody that matters will ever read anything you write. Take time out to read articles on writing, see what those that have done it say about it.

One more thing. It doesn't matter if the first few stories you write "reek of arsé". If you can find somebody willing to give you proper critique, and if you're willing to take it on board, you will get better.
Tue 25/11/03 at 00:13
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
Goatboy wrote:

Post these suck-ass stories somewhere else. Somebody needs to say it and I don't care about what you think of me enough to be the one to stand up and say it.

They suck.
Plain and simple.
Harsh but true. Deal with it.
---------------

You are one whinging tart.

You're meant to be grown up, yet you let yourself type such derogatory comments aimed at age 13+ who are trying to be creative with their time.

And Grix Thraves was spot on.
Tue 25/11/03 at 02:45
Regular
"cachoo"
ßora† SagdiyeV wrote:
> Ms NY wrote:
> How is someone supposed to know their own story is crap ?
>
> when you're ranting about 3 legged gerbils and the price of grain in
> taiwan, you know you're talking complete bo**ocks

Haha! That doesn't sound so bad. Would just be using part of the imagination!

I say, let them keep on writing the stories; although there really isn't much choice anyway! I hate seeing the odd posts about Bushy-wushy and Politics, because it's not my thing, but yet, they still get posted. Yes, they're intelligent, but boring. Stories are/can be intelligent, but not boring. *tired*
Tue 25/11/03 at 07:39
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
If people want to post their stories up then they're fully entitled to, whether you think they're crap or not, since when did you become the highest power around these forums to dictate what people should and shouldn't post?
You may think they're rubbish but then someone else may think they're a great read, everyone has different opinions.

Anyway it makes a refreshing change having something other then your boring and childish, handbags at 10 paces, hissy fits with Belldandy to read around this forum.
Tue 25/11/03 at 19:47
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Goatboy wrote:
> And I'm not saying I'm correct, I could just be a loudmouth knowidall
> oaf trying to impose his idea of "good" on everyone else.
---

Nice to see people read thoroughly before getting all huffy and clutching their missives to their chests with an indignant eyebrow raised.
Tue 25/11/03 at 19:57
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> I have visions of Goatboy receiving a piece of work, reading over it
> quickly, calling the pupil to his desk while lighting a cigarette
> (SMOKER!"!"122). When the kid gets close enough, he takes a
> deep drag and blows the smoke in the kids face.
>
> "Now" he says "re-write this, only this time don't
> make it crap."
>
> The kid, coughing and sobbing amidst a stream of tears, runs wailing
> back to the back of the class.
---

It's like you peered into a crystal ball!

What gets me is this:
Why shouldn't I say that I find them boring?
Why should I not say when I find some of these stories absolutely terrible?

Jesus, if you people get moody over a faceless bloke on a forum saying "this is awful", then you'll be making a noose and eyeing the bannister when you recieve rejection after rejection after rejection trying to secure an agent or submit for serious publication.

But nobody says anything even remotely critical. Somebody mashes out another story involving death/guts/zombies and everyone claps politely and says "Hurrah!".
Well I'm sorry but sometimes some don't deserve it.
Stop being so bloody precious about your "art", some people aren't going to like it and some people will say "Look, please try better or not at all".

"Waaaah waaaah waaaah, nasty Goatboy said my story sucked"
"You're a to##er"
Not at all. I just say what I think.
You have the right to post these things and I have the right to say "That was bad".
Because some of them are. What's the point in encouraging mediocrity?

And, once more for the skim-readers that don't understand self-deprecation:
I'm not saying I'm right.
Tue 25/11/03 at 20:00
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Sorry, but I'm not going to stand by and watch as you bully others
> into doing your will. If you don't like the stories, don't read them.
> It's your loss.

-
Bully?
Bully?

By writing a topic saying some are terrible and some people should revise and re-write before posting?

Jesus some of you are soooo precious it's embarassing.
Life sucks, wear a helmet.
Tue 25/11/03 at 22:55
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Ok, now I've been thinking about this and getting more and more angry.

You, Grix, talk about me bullying etc. Yet you feel it's ok to call me a to##er?
Why?
I haven't posted in any story threads with comments. I haven't said "So and so sucks, you're terrible".
Yet you, and several others, feel the need to make it personal and start labelling me, calling me names?
It's the same hypocritical crap that Belldandy spews. Bleating about bullying, and then starts throwing personal insults and comments about at me.
I've said either raise your game or stop. But some of you can't even handle non-personal criticism?
You pathetic, whiny babies.

You, Grix, calling me a to##er? Where do you get off making personal comments at me?
Do I ever castigate you for your cringing, Hallmark Card, Forrest Gump outlook on life of "Hey, it's the person inside/let's all hug" platititudes towards life?
No.
Have I ever made a personal attack on you for your views/outlooks on life?
No.
Yet you have, on different occassions, felt it perfectly reasonable to make personal attacks on me.
This isn't the first time.
If you're going to preach your "Hey maaaan, hug the kittens and love strangers 'cos, like, we're all people" views, then at least stand true to them and don't start slinging insults.

Same as some others of you here, I say something you don't agree with - yet rather than simply saying "Dont read it then, I'll post what I want to", you'll take it and make it personal.
"Goatboy's this" "Goaty can do this to himself" "Goatboy you're (insert insult here)"

At least have consistency you simpering cowards.
If you're going to accuse me of bullying/being nasty, then don't do exactly the same.
Read the original post.
Then read the additions I've made afterwards. At no point have I said anybody in particular sucks.
If you take it personally, then that speaks more about your own valuation of your work than any comment made by me.

It's this faux-congratulatory reward for simply bashing keys that galls me.
I've simply said some of the stories are awful, and you should re-read/revise/rewrite before posting.
Why? Because other people read them. You owe it to them to make it the best you can.
Or, if not, be an adult and take criticism.
Whoops, except I haven't made any have I? I haven't told anybody they were bad.
I made one post breaking the news that some people cannot write to save their lives.
Yet others offer critical advice based on...what?
What makes somebody with zero history of published writing more valid than somebody saying "That's terrible"?

It's ok to fawningly congratulate somebody, yet as soon as somebody else says "Actually...", you all start screaming and calling me names?
Why is it ok for everyone to offer advice and pat each other on the back, but you all get moody and insulty if somebody says "That's bad"?

I'm not going to post congratulatory rubbish for fear of upsetting people. If somebody posts something worthwhile, I'll acknowledge that whether I actually enjoyed their writing or not.
I personally don't enjoy IB's writings, but I cannot deny he has ability and at least makes them interesting and not cliched blood/guts stories.

You people complain about me being rude/arrogant, yet I don't walk around calling people names etc.

Bunch of hypocrites.
Author wannabes, frantically sucking each other off because nobody else is going to and mortally offended at the thought you might not be the next George Orwell.

You want to take a long look at your responses in this thread before you start shrieking about me being rude.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.