GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Stop it"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 23/11/03 at 20:02
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Post these suck-ass stories somewhere else.
Somebody needs to say it and I don't care about what you think of me enough to be the one to stand up and say it.

They suck.
Plain and simple.
Harsh but true. Deal with it.
Most of this first page are stories. Bad ones.
A couple are alright, but most are sub-A Level English lit essays on predictability.
"He sat in a big armchair in room. The room was big, he turned on a television. The television was big"
Christ....

"What do you know Goatboy? Who are you to tell us what to post and where? Blah blah blah blah"
I'm me, it's true, shut up.
"Intelligent discussion"
Nothing about the bombs in Turkey, nothing about Dubya's visit to London, nothing about the anniversary of JFK's assasination.
"Well I'm not interested in that stuff"
Well you should be. It's the world, it's what is going on around you, it's what will affect and shape the outcomes of your lives.
Or if you *are* going to write a short story, write one that is
(a) Interesting
(b) Has a point to it
(c) Doesn't involve murder/blood/vampires/war

You want to learn to write?
Great, take a ticket and join the back of line. It stretches waaaaaaay round the corner there, bring a packed lunch cos you'll be there a while.

You want to write seriously, you want it to be what, published?
Go for it.
But please, once you've written something, read it back to see if it can be improved. Give it to somebody that doesn't know you wrote it.
And stop crying when somebody says "That's terrible/sorry not interested/read it before/whatever".

Do me a favour you budding Danielle Steeles:
I'll set you a topic to write about in another thread, write your best attempt in there.
Your very best, re-write it again and then again.
Then submit it.
Write about what you know, something that matters to you. Inject it with yourself and not 5 sentences trying to describe the bloody temperature.

I'll pop back in a couple hours and give you the topic.
Trust me, I'm (in 2 years time) an English Teacher, and y'all are my students.

Just please stop bashing out gore stories with your forehead rods and getting huffy when somebody says "That reeks of ass".
Sun 23/11/03 at 22:25
"period drama"
Well, it's probably me you're going at.
I've put 4 bits up in the last 5 days.
But now I'm pretty much out of creative and other juices.

But there will be more, because I think I'm quite a good writer. And I want to write. And I want feedback I can't get anywhere else. So .. y'know, tough.
Sun 23/11/03 at 22:27
Regular
"cachoo"
How is someone supposed to know their own story is crap ?
Sun 23/11/03 at 22:28
"I love yo... lamp."
Well if people want to post stories let them - in the the hopefully reinstated Stories forum. It has been archived, but I'm sure that could be undone. Simple solution that keeps everyone happy.
Sun 23/11/03 at 22:29
"period drama"
Well, if you read it and it's crap then you know. Like it's un-emotive or tedious or badly-stuctured or repetative or cliched or just lame.
It's happened enough times to me, many pieces have been deleted after I read them back.
Sun 23/11/03 at 22:32
Regular
"cachoo"
Yep.. but everyone has different opinions. So I could write a short story and love it wheras everyone else might hate it. I enjoy half the stories in Life. Why don't they just bring back the damn Stories forum?! Der!
Sun 23/11/03 at 22:40
"period drama"
Opinions aside, even if you really like whatever genre the story is written in you can still tell if it's total tosh or not.

The problem with the stories forum is no-one went in there, it was dead. So everyone posted their stories in here, for more immediate feedback, and it kinda stuck.
Sun 23/11/03 at 23:28
"I love yo... lamp."
No, most of the stories did get posted in there. It never had any spam which was great. It was only on a few rare occasions that stories ended up in here instead of the Stories forum.
Sun 23/11/03 at 23:30
Regular
Ms NY wrote:
> How is someone supposed to know their own story is crap ?

when you're ranting about 3 legged gerbils and the price of grain in taiwan, you know you're talking complete bo**ocks
Mon 24/11/03 at 08:45
Regular
"Laughingstock"
I wish I could disagree with grumpy Goatboy, but I can't. I'm tired of reading 'em, and I'm tired of writing 'em; and there's definately too many at the moment.

I've decided that if I post anything more in here, they will be 'true stories/real accounts'. My twitching fingers were moving that way anyway.
This will probably mean that what I post will turn out weirder than the fabricated ones, but hey, what can I say - I'm a crank.

A mask is the most necessary life-accessory.
Mon 24/11/03 at 09:03
Regular
"Selected"
wot a t****r!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.