GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Stop it"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 23/11/03 at 20:02
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Post these suck-ass stories somewhere else.
Somebody needs to say it and I don't care about what you think of me enough to be the one to stand up and say it.

They suck.
Plain and simple.
Harsh but true. Deal with it.
Most of this first page are stories. Bad ones.
A couple are alright, but most are sub-A Level English lit essays on predictability.
"He sat in a big armchair in room. The room was big, he turned on a television. The television was big"
Christ....

"What do you know Goatboy? Who are you to tell us what to post and where? Blah blah blah blah"
I'm me, it's true, shut up.
"Intelligent discussion"
Nothing about the bombs in Turkey, nothing about Dubya's visit to London, nothing about the anniversary of JFK's assasination.
"Well I'm not interested in that stuff"
Well you should be. It's the world, it's what is going on around you, it's what will affect and shape the outcomes of your lives.
Or if you *are* going to write a short story, write one that is
(a) Interesting
(b) Has a point to it
(c) Doesn't involve murder/blood/vampires/war

You want to learn to write?
Great, take a ticket and join the back of line. It stretches waaaaaaay round the corner there, bring a packed lunch cos you'll be there a while.

You want to write seriously, you want it to be what, published?
Go for it.
But please, once you've written something, read it back to see if it can be improved. Give it to somebody that doesn't know you wrote it.
And stop crying when somebody says "That's terrible/sorry not interested/read it before/whatever".

Do me a favour you budding Danielle Steeles:
I'll set you a topic to write about in another thread, write your best attempt in there.
Your very best, re-write it again and then again.
Then submit it.
Write about what you know, something that matters to you. Inject it with yourself and not 5 sentences trying to describe the bloody temperature.

I'll pop back in a couple hours and give you the topic.
Trust me, I'm (in 2 years time) an English Teacher, and y'all are my students.

Just please stop bashing out gore stories with your forehead rods and getting huffy when somebody says "That reeks of ass".
Sun 23/11/03 at 20:02
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Post these suck-ass stories somewhere else.
Somebody needs to say it and I don't care about what you think of me enough to be the one to stand up and say it.

They suck.
Plain and simple.
Harsh but true. Deal with it.
Most of this first page are stories. Bad ones.
A couple are alright, but most are sub-A Level English lit essays on predictability.
"He sat in a big armchair in room. The room was big, he turned on a television. The television was big"
Christ....

"What do you know Goatboy? Who are you to tell us what to post and where? Blah blah blah blah"
I'm me, it's true, shut up.
"Intelligent discussion"
Nothing about the bombs in Turkey, nothing about Dubya's visit to London, nothing about the anniversary of JFK's assasination.
"Well I'm not interested in that stuff"
Well you should be. It's the world, it's what is going on around you, it's what will affect and shape the outcomes of your lives.
Or if you *are* going to write a short story, write one that is
(a) Interesting
(b) Has a point to it
(c) Doesn't involve murder/blood/vampires/war

You want to learn to write?
Great, take a ticket and join the back of line. It stretches waaaaaaay round the corner there, bring a packed lunch cos you'll be there a while.

You want to write seriously, you want it to be what, published?
Go for it.
But please, once you've written something, read it back to see if it can be improved. Give it to somebody that doesn't know you wrote it.
And stop crying when somebody says "That's terrible/sorry not interested/read it before/whatever".

Do me a favour you budding Danielle Steeles:
I'll set you a topic to write about in another thread, write your best attempt in there.
Your very best, re-write it again and then again.
Then submit it.
Write about what you know, something that matters to you. Inject it with yourself and not 5 sentences trying to describe the bloody temperature.

I'll pop back in a couple hours and give you the topic.
Trust me, I'm (in 2 years time) an English Teacher, and y'all are my students.

Just please stop bashing out gore stories with your forehead rods and getting huffy when somebody says "That reeks of ass".
Sun 23/11/03 at 20:08
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
Goatboy wrote:
> They suck.
> Plain and simple.

Except mine...

I too had noticed the sudden influx of stories. As you have said, some are ok, some are actually quite good, and some suck donkeys turnips.

Meh? Can't say I really care one way or the other. There are still a few decent topics around, which are worth reading, you just have to hunt a little more for them. I will save you some time though. Don't bother going in the "General Chat" forum.
Sun 23/11/03 at 20:14
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
I was getting ready to post something like this.
The forum is being dominated by them now, and it's very true. Most of them are absolutely crap.

And the hilarious thing is, is that they all claim that "itz not cuzza da gad cumin bak!!!!1"
Sun 23/11/03 at 20:15
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
And of course my latest attempt "A Guess : Story" is bo' shank (love that phrase). Ahem anyway you I agree many of the stories coming in though are terrible and the people who wrote them should have their arms lobbed off if the even look at a keyboard again.
Sun 23/11/03 at 20:16
"slightlyshortertagl"
I've posted two. In all my life here

Both GCSE Coursework, so they'll be sub-A Level standard.

All I want from posting my story up here is possibly some constructive comments and criticism, instead of my teachers; 'I can't tell you'.

See?
Sun 23/11/03 at 20:20
"slightlyshortertagl"
Goatboy wrote:
> nothing about Dubya's visit to London

http://ukchatforums.reserve.co.uk/display_messages.php? threadid=88856&forumid=423
Sun 23/11/03 at 20:45
Regular
Well, were the hell else should stories be posted? There is no set forum. General Chat is inhabited by alot of idiots and stories will not be read there and drop quickly down the list of threads. This forum is dominated by political related crap. A bit of variation is not a bad thing. Besides, its not like the stories will go on for ever. And this thread won't change anything. No-one will listen, and you can't effectively stop people posting stories Goatboy unless you go to their house and beat them up.
*hides under bed*
Sun 23/11/03 at 20:51
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Mithras wrote:
> Well, were the hell else should stories be posted? There is no set
> forum.

You're missing his point completely.

Just stop pumping out crappy stories in the first place. Because they are just that. Crappy. And they're all the same - man blows other mans head off with shotgun, psychopathic delinquent runs rampage with machete etc etc.

Just stop it.
Sun 23/11/03 at 20:56
Regular
Er, I don't think I am missing the point. The point is, Goatboy wants everyone to stop posting stories. Fair enough. I just say, stories will always be written, and always posted, and usually here, as there is no where else to put them. If Goatboy wants this problem solved, he should campaign for the return of the story forum.
Sun 23/11/03 at 21:18
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Goatboy wrote:
> Or if you *are* going to write a short story, write one that is
> (a) Interesting
> (b) Has a point to it
> (c) Doesn't involve murder/blood/vampires/war
--

This is my point.
I'm not trying to dictate to anybody that they shouldn't post stories, but that they shouldn't post crap ones.
I'm not saying they are *all* bad. But I read a couple, then a couple more and thought "Christ" and got the image of a huggy-kissy group of wannabe authors fecklessly applauding every single story written "just because you did it".

It's fantastic that people want to write, it really is. Not enough people do that. But by the same token, some are really really poor and I personally cannot say "Well done!!" and pat them on the head just for trying.
That's false and patronising.
It's the same as...I don't know...watching the special olympics and turning to somebody and saying "They're just so brave!".
Write away,knock yourself out.
But re-read, edit, revise before you hit "submit".

And I'm not saying I'm correct, I could just be a loudmouth knowidall oaf trying to impose his idea of "good" on everyone else.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.