GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Stop it"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 23/11/03 at 20:02
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Post these suck-ass stories somewhere else.
Somebody needs to say it and I don't care about what you think of me enough to be the one to stand up and say it.

They suck.
Plain and simple.
Harsh but true. Deal with it.
Most of this first page are stories. Bad ones.
A couple are alright, but most are sub-A Level English lit essays on predictability.
"He sat in a big armchair in room. The room was big, he turned on a television. The television was big"
Christ....

"What do you know Goatboy? Who are you to tell us what to post and where? Blah blah blah blah"
I'm me, it's true, shut up.
"Intelligent discussion"
Nothing about the bombs in Turkey, nothing about Dubya's visit to London, nothing about the anniversary of JFK's assasination.
"Well I'm not interested in that stuff"
Well you should be. It's the world, it's what is going on around you, it's what will affect and shape the outcomes of your lives.
Or if you *are* going to write a short story, write one that is
(a) Interesting
(b) Has a point to it
(c) Doesn't involve murder/blood/vampires/war

You want to learn to write?
Great, take a ticket and join the back of line. It stretches waaaaaaay round the corner there, bring a packed lunch cos you'll be there a while.

You want to write seriously, you want it to be what, published?
Go for it.
But please, once you've written something, read it back to see if it can be improved. Give it to somebody that doesn't know you wrote it.
And stop crying when somebody says "That's terrible/sorry not interested/read it before/whatever".

Do me a favour you budding Danielle Steeles:
I'll set you a topic to write about in another thread, write your best attempt in there.
Your very best, re-write it again and then again.
Then submit it.
Write about what you know, something that matters to you. Inject it with yourself and not 5 sentences trying to describe the bloody temperature.

I'll pop back in a couple hours and give you the topic.
Trust me, I'm (in 2 years time) an English Teacher, and y'all are my students.

Just please stop bashing out gore stories with your forehead rods and getting huffy when somebody says "That reeks of ass".
Wed 26/11/03 at 14:58
Regular
"relocated"
Black Glove wrote:
> I do feel that some of the blood/guts/murder jibs are aimed my way,
> but I'll keep writng and trying to improve. This forum has been and
> is helpful.

The difference is that you do blood, guts and murder with some style and imagination - most other people seem to pick the genre by default, ie this story isn't going anywhere, I'd better have the hero go postal.
Wed 26/11/03 at 14:33
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
And when they understand you can go back to "It sucks, do it again or else I make a remark about your mother's bed habits"?

Nice work if you can get it.
Wed 26/11/03 at 14:29
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Blank wrote:
> All I was trying to say in my post was that from an English teacher
> to be we expect something more constructive. Is that wrong? If the
> best you can say to your students is "That's bad, start
> again" then you'll suck.
>
---

True.
However, I'm not being paid to read substandard stories about murder/guts/ponies/matchboxes with gory murder ponies in and I cannot be bothered to spend an age saying
"Now then, you should be using less metaphor and trying to pare down the language. Efficiency of language is the key, don't try to employ purple prose otherwise you run the risk of coming off like somebody with their tongue poking out the corner of their mouth as they thumb through a thesarus"

It's easier, saves time for important stuff and means I bash the keys less to simply say that some suck.
Once it is my career to assist, then I will do so until my kids understand.
Wed 26/11/03 at 14:25
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Stand wistfully at a bus stop, a copy of "sensitive new man poems" poking out of your pocket.
That always helps.
Wed 26/11/03 at 14:25
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Goatboy wrote:
> What gets me is this:
> Why shouldn't I say that I find them boring?
> Why should I not say when I find some of these stories absolutely
> terrible?

All I was trying to say in my post was that from an English teacher to be we expect something more constructive. Is that wrong? If the best you can say to your students is "That's bad, start again" then you'll suck.

Not saying I don't agreee with your views, a lot of the time I do. I just expect more thought put into criticism from you personally.
Wed 26/11/03 at 14:08
Regular
Ok dude, fair enough. I'll make sure I've read the entire topic before replying in future. And because I know how much you love my poetry:

My arguements over
My thoughts I have paid
But now I must leave you
Cause I need to get laid
Wed 26/11/03 at 14:03
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Goatboy wrote:
> Goatboy wrote:
> And I'm not saying I'm correct, I could just be a loudmouth
> knowidall
> oaf trying to impose his idea of "good" on everyone else.
> ---

I forget too.
I wrote that bit *points up* precisely because it was just an opinion of some bloke on a forum.
I only matter to me and my family, and I expect no more from anybody else.
I've said it over and over and over, I write what I think.
It's not posturing to act cool/tough/whatever over the internet, I'm the same way in real life too, anybody that knows me can vouch for that.
I'm continually amazed that anybody pays any attention to what I say, 9/10 I've forgotten what I wrote 2 mins after hitting submit.

I just thought that some, not all, but some of the stories weren't very good and more thought should be put into them.
And I still stand by my original comment that most of these have slewed out since a GAD was won.
It's always the way, when I won for political satire stuff there would inevitably follow 2nd rate versions.
Same with the glut of stories.
Some are good, some are really really bad.

I don't believe in singling people out for criticism with something like this, because it's unfair.

I'm tired, soaking wet and my back hurts
Wed 26/11/03 at 13:08
Regular
Mm, sod this. I don't want to get into a bitter insult swinging match over something so pointless.

I apologise for the mass of pointless text I've babbled out here, and for any personal insult. Stuff like this makes me seem to forget I have a sense of humour and start taking stuff too seriously.

I don't care who's right as long as people are allowed to do whatever they want, which err... was ok in the first place. *scratches head*

What was I even arguing about again? I'm lost now.
Wed 26/11/03 at 11:47
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
I think this is just the wrong forum for it. It's supposed to be a place for intelligent discussion and the whole forum is filled with fictional short stories. Post them in general chat or something.
Wed 26/11/03 at 09:06
Regular
"Laughingstock"
I must admit I've been guilty of dishing out faint praise on occasion, more out of trying to be positive and encouraging than being disingenuous.

I'm in no doubt that certain posters in this forum have inspired me and made me a better writer (Goatboy being one of them).

I do feel that some of the blood/guts/murder jibs are aimed my way, but I'll keep writng and trying to improve. This forum has been and is helpful.

People should limit the number of stories they post though. Either that or bring back the story forum.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.