GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Aha. I was right."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 19/05/05 at 22:24
Regular
[URL]http://cube.ign.com/articles/617/617195p1.html[/URL]

Who was right?
I was right
IN YOUR FASE!
Sat 21/05/05 at 14:02
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I've always said that if the games are there the consumers will follow, which is why a launch is so important, but you need more than launch games. The months following the launch as just as important as the launch itself, because game droughts like we saw with the DS and the GC can really hurt a consoles uptake. Nintendo need the 3rd parties to be making those second wave of games NOW so that they'll be ready for that crucial period. When we buy a console we don't just look at the launch games, but the games that are coming out in the following months and further down the line. If Nintendo can get teh balance between launch games (there only needs to be one killer title, reall, but the more the better), and then the slew of 3rd party titles after launch which offer variety but aren't necessarily amazing or must have , just in large enough quantity, the Revolution COULD become the most successful of the 3.

It's Sony, however, who manage to get the second wave of games so perfect. The games aren't necessarily great, but there are enough of them that there's something for everything, and people think "yeah - look at all the games, this is a worthwhile console to get". The Xbox suffered because it had Halo and then not very much for a while after that. I'm sure that all 3 consoles will launch with great launch games, but I think whichever one gets the second wave of games in the upcoming months right will be the winner ultimately.
Sat 21/05/05 at 12:30
Regular
It can Gerrid but not to start off with. A fanbase grows over time. Revolution will certainly get a good start (all Nintendo consoles do) and if that good start continues for a year or so then expect third parties to flock back.

I personally think that Metroid Prime 3 will do a lot of damage to the competiton. It has had 2 games released at odd moments. One at Easter and one overshadowed by Halo 2 (the one at easter did sell very well).

As a launch game there will be a lot of attention adorned to it and it could prove the be the smash hit it deserves to be.

On another note, Super Smash Brothers as a launch title. I'm glad Nintendo have realised what an absolute monster hit that game is.

Every Nintendo character appealing to the Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, Donkey Kong, Metroid etc... fans, the addictive multiplayer appealing to the casual gamer and now online...

Brilliant. Two great potential launch titles.
Sat 21/05/05 at 12:27
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Dringo wrote:
> So risking games sales by having
> multiple varities of the same genre risks losing more third parties.

If they have thegames that enough people want then people will buy the console. It doesn't have to be like the GC. If there is a game on Revolution that everybody wants more than anything (think GTA) then everyone will buy one. Revolution doesn't HAVE to have a small fnabse so no 3rd parties want to risk games on it. You already seem resigned to the fact that the Revolution must have a small fanbase and will be in theird place. The console that succeeds will be the console which has the games that people want. Why can't that onsole be the Revolution?
Sat 21/05/05 at 12:09
Regular
JFH wrote:
> But Playstation has GTA and X-box has Halo. Those games are enough to
> sell consoles on their own and the average consumer will know that
> those two games appear on those two consoles. They'll also know that
> Nintendo's main man is big, fat, Italian, cartoon plumber.

Not always.

In fact two of the Revolution's launch title is Smash Brothers which appeals to everyone much like Mario Kart. And Metroid Prime 3. And Prime 3 has the ability to be a mega hit for Nintendo and as a launch title it has that potential.
Sat 21/05/05 at 12:07
Regular
gerrid wrote:
> It only has a tiny fanbase because of Nintendo. It doesn't have to
> be this way

Yes but they can't just start off with a massive fan base can they, they have to rebuild it! And in order to rebuild it they need as much third party support as possible. So risking games sales by having multiple varities of the same genre risks losing more third parties.
Sat 21/05/05 at 00:03
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Well if the Revolution is cheap enough to make games for, then like I've said the developers have no reason not to make these games. I mean take this "Dark Sector" game that is all over IGN and they're all raving on about.

If the developers could get that game running on the Revolution for a tiny amount of the cost and time that it would take them to make it for the PS3 and 360, they would do it without hesitation. So early in the consoles life, the userbase hasn't been defined yet, and with low developement costs the risk would be worth it, if only to guage the reaction of consumers and improve the product for PS3 and 360 release. If lots of developers did this, the effect would snowball and soon the console would be home of the 3rd party.

If Nintendo had gotten the revolution development kits out to developers early, so that they'd had a chance to start games, seen how easy it was to make games, teh Revolution would have hundreds of tech demos and potential games in development, way more than the PS3 or 360.

Consumers will go to whichever console offers them the games that they want. Imagine Bungie were a 3rd party - and they had the choice to either spend 3 years making a game for the Xbox 360 for $50million, or 1 year making the game for $300,000, with the end result being identical apart from some minor graphical differences, which would they choose? It's a simple choice. If the Revolution is what I am talking about, and Nintendo played their cards right, this is the choce hundreds of developers would be making.
Fri 20/05/05 at 23:54
Regular
"0228"
Maybe, but Nintendo aren't going to create a game like that themselves so they'll need third party support. Therefore you've been right all along. Small snag though, who's going to be willing and capable to create a game like that for the Revolution? Nobody is my guess and so Nintendo will end up with a Mario game, a Metroid game, etc. which isn't really a bad thing for us, at least not in the short term.

Oh, and I'd say Lara Croft was bigger for the PS than Crash.
Fri 20/05/05 at 23:49
Regular
"bit of a brain"
It doesn't matter, honestly.

If the Revolution had a game that appealed to enough people, like Halo and GTA did, it doesn't matter, does it? Crash Bandicoot was the Playstation mascot - it didn't stop the PS2 becoming world dominant. Image is just an impression of the games on a console. If Nintendo had the games that people wanted to play they would buy the console over the other two. Casual gamers may not have the same taste as us, but they're not complete idiots. They buy what they want - if they want to play Nintendo games on a Revolution they will. They won't deprive themselves of games that they think they'll enjoy just because of Mario.
Fri 20/05/05 at 23:46
Regular
"0228"
But Playstation has GTA and X-box has Halo. Those games are enough to sell consoles on their own and the average consumer will know that those two games appear on those two consoles. They'll also know that Nintendo's main man is big, fat, Italian, cartoon plumber.
Fri 20/05/05 at 23:41
Regular
"bit of a brain"
They've made their mistake but image isn't everything. The consumers are changing all the time, and they are horribly fickle.

The floating casual gamer has no system loyalty, and will buy whichever console has the most games they want to play. If Nintendo can manage to get more games that people want to play on Revolution - the old image won't matter. People only view Nintendo as kiddy because of the games on the GC. If the Revolution has different games, they won't see it as kiddy, trust me.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.