GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freeola Book Club"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 20/07/09 at 08:28
Regular
"THFC"
One thing i had noticed is that there is little discussion about books on here, we review film and games but i have rarely seen anyone do anything about books, which i used to be fine with. I had never really had any interest in books, but while i was on holiday i found myself getting a book and going through it very quickly.

So now i am trying to get more books i will enjoy and find out authors who i like. But not many people i know are big book fans, so i was thinking we should have this forum to discuss briefly any books you have read and think others might enjoy based on what they have said they enjoy.

For example; I like fictional books and probably push even further to fantasy (like RPG's lol) but am happy to try new things. I really liked the Lord of the Rings books and am looking for things like that. I was reading a book from Anne Mcaffrey, a series of books about a Fantasy world called Pern (some of you may know about it)

Anyway, i was thinking this could be a great way for users to share books they have enjoyed and help others out, so let start from here - any ideas of books ill like??
Mon 07/09/09 at 16:48
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
YH wrote:
> I haven't read this thread, so apologies if I'm re-covering old
> ground. I'm currently towards the end of book 2 of a series by
> George R Martin called A Song of Ice and Fire.
>
> Well worth reading.

Excellent books but worth noting that the series is incomplete at the moment and hell may well have frozen over before George R Martin finishes the next one.
Mon 07/09/09 at 16:43
Regular
I haven't read this thread, so apologies if I'm re-covering old ground. I'm currently towards the end of book 2 of a series by George R Martin called A Song of Ice and Fire.

Well worth reading.
Mon 07/09/09 at 11:21
Regular
McLong wrote:
> Warhunt wrote:
> And oddly I'm just about to give the Discworld series a chance.
>
> In that case I have The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic
> which you can steal from me temporarily.
>
> Might be worth downloading Sky One's
> The Colour of
> Magic
to watch afterwards.

Make sure you watch it afterwards though - The discworld works so much better when you use your own imagination :)

I would always reccomend reading them in order, however ones I've enjoyed the most:

Mort
Gueards! Guards!
Moving Pictures
Men At Arms
Soul Music
Feet of Clay
Hogfather (very festive)
Carpe Jugulum
The Truth
Night Watch (though is better if you read Thief of Time before it as most of the story is based on the background generated by Thief of Time)
Mon 07/09/09 at 11:21
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Again I have all the Dark Tower and Belgariad books if you cant loan em at the library.
Mon 07/09/09 at 11:10
Regular
"THFC"
too many choices, think i need to pop into town soon and get my hands on one of the books i been thinking about, or else it will just slip past and i will forget lol
Mon 07/09/09 at 10:41
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
ncrs has already given me those two. There in my draw in here ;)

Got some to finish before starting.
Mon 07/09/09 at 10:16
Regular
Warhunt wrote:
> And oddly I'm just about to give the Discworld series a chance.

In that case I have The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic which you can steal from me temporarily.

Might be worth downloading Sky One's The Colour of Magic to watch afterwards.
Mon 07/09/09 at 09:59
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Hmmm actually em, Dark Tower is actually the best thing I have probably read for originality. I took it to Mexico with me and it overshadowed the holiday 0_o

Stephen King's best work for me, as I'm not a great SK man.
Mon 07/09/09 at 09:02
"possibly impossible"
Perfecting Sound Forever is a great read, all about the history of recorded sound. It's not half as dry as it sounds.
Mon 07/09/09 at 08:53
Regular
"THFC"
lol, i did consider the dark tower, was reading the back of Gunslinger but was not sure how that would be.

So i am between Pawn of Proph, Discworld and even Dark Tower

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.