GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freeola Book Club"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 20/07/09 at 08:28
Regular
"THFC"
One thing i had noticed is that there is little discussion about books on here, we review film and games but i have rarely seen anyone do anything about books, which i used to be fine with. I had never really had any interest in books, but while i was on holiday i found myself getting a book and going through it very quickly.

So now i am trying to get more books i will enjoy and find out authors who i like. But not many people i know are big book fans, so i was thinking we should have this forum to discuss briefly any books you have read and think others might enjoy based on what they have said they enjoy.

For example; I like fictional books and probably push even further to fantasy (like RPG's lol) but am happy to try new things. I really liked the Lord of the Rings books and am looking for things like that. I was reading a book from Anne Mcaffrey, a series of books about a Fantasy world called Pern (some of you may know about it)

Anyway, i was thinking this could be a great way for users to share books they have enjoyed and help others out, so let start from here - any ideas of books ill like??
Mon 07/09/09 at 08:45
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Pawn of Proph Em. Can not suggest this enough. As a series it remains my favourite.

And oddly I'm just about to give the Discworld series a chance.
Mon 07/09/09 at 08:43
Regular
"THFC"
I might give some a try, any ones which stand out as better than others?
Mon 07/09/09 at 08:34
Regular
Certain books in the series benefit from you reading them in order.

The Light Fantastic continues directly from The Colour of Magic for example.

But most of them can be read as standalone books.

If you did read them in order you'd benefit from character histories and appearances from regular favourites such as Death...
Mon 07/09/09 at 08:28
Regular
"THFC"
Ok this is a real basic question but with Pratchet do you need to read any order or are they all stand alone books??

Tempted to get Pawn of Prophercy as it seems like a good fantasy story which i would enjoy.
Mon 07/09/09 at 08:07
Regular
Just read Night Watch by Pratchett. One of my favourite Discworld books so far!
Sun 06/09/09 at 11:02
Regular
"Let's blow stuff up"
I recently read (tombs of the dead) The Devil's Plague by Mark Beynon. It was an excellent read as i love zombies and stuff like that. It's a horror book.
Sat 05/09/09 at 23:46
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Currently reading One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
Enjoying it but it's really the kind of book that you need to read every night instead of doing what I do and picking it up maybe once a week. Because it exists in a kind of time vacuum, flitting between family generations who all have names from their parents, it's very difficult to keep up and remember who is who. It's a deliberate effect and you're supposed to see this family as a group but yes, complicated.
Sat 05/09/09 at 19:54
Regular
"THFC"
After reading the Assassins Apprentice i have been unable to find Royal Assassin in the farseer trilogy. Enjoyed the first one and finished it about a month ago, but not sure if i really feel the need to read the next one.

Anyone read any good books lately??
Thu 23/07/09 at 22:25
Regular
I pretty much only read books from the Time magazine Top 100.
It might make me a total tool but I'm far too lazy to find other reading material. (Except Harry Potter <3)

My favourite books are 1984, Animal Farm, A Clockwork Orange and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
Thu 23/07/09 at 15:07
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Garin wrote:

> Well I've read Elenium, Tamuli and The Redemption of Althalus.
> All books I've read quite a few times now.
> And do you mean The Dreamers? I've got The Elder Gods never got
> around to reading it though.

Ahh Athalus lol. I lent to my mate and never got it back :( But it did turn a drunken layabout into a fantasy reader so.......

And yes I meant the Dreamers >_< The Elder Gods is about as far as I have got I think in that series.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.