GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mario Kart: Double Dash!! First Impressions"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 14/11/03 at 23:28
Regular
What a horrible disappointment.

The soundtrack is nothing above poor, and the graphics are vibrant but mostly lack detail. The courses are, on the whole, poorly designed and incredibly short-lapped. There's a distinct lack of options, and battle mode is brought down by the awful arena design and unforgivable lack of bots. The gameplay is generally good, but too slow, especially now F-Zero GX is released.

This seems to mark a worrying trend for the series; this is worse than Mario Kart 64, and that wasn't as good as the original. Even Crash Team Racing, a PSOne game and a blatent rip-off, has better design in some respects. I see no explanation other than the fact that this was rushed out to give sales a boost at Christmas. Oh Nintendo? What have you done?

A shame. But these are first impressions, and I have only played about an hour and a half. Perhaps I'll grow to love it. At present however, it IS good, but only around 6-7/10.
Sun 16/11/03 at 11:39
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Auf deutsch™ wrote:
> Damn, I just found the ultimate *SPOLIER*
>
> http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/gamecube/code/13206.html
>
> DON'T look if you don't want to find out every unlockable
>
> Lets just say, if you work *extremely* hard, you might get a nice
> suprise even after you get the Toad family...

What is this ultimate spoiler then?

All I can see there is Mirror Mode which I knew all about already, and some new Start Up screens.

Pfft. I've unlocked all worth unlocking. :-D
Sun 16/11/03 at 09:29
Regular
I love the powerslide. Thanks to it I rock at the Baby track, start early, get a blue flame and zoom to victory. Yay!
Sun 16/11/03 at 09:10
"cheerios"
Ashman wrote:

> Perhaps even
> more options like a free roam, a chance to experience all the levels...

Time Trial is perfect for that.
Sun 16/11/03 at 00:06
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
DAMMIT! I looked and now wish i hadn't...
Sat 15/11/03 at 23:41
Regular
I was just gonna say exactly the same thing, I was extremely p*ssed with it after playing solidly for about 45 minutes.

ARGH

I thought I'd get something decent for it...
Sat 15/11/03 at 23:35
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
And you get nothing for completing it on 50cc.

NOTHING!

Although it was soooooo easy.
Sat 15/11/03 at 23:12
Regular
Van The Man wrote:
> And I'd also like to say I just unlocked the all cup tournament, and
> to get it I had to get gold on mushroom, flower, star and special
> cups on 50, 100 and 150cc.

Yeah, I just unlocked it, but to be honest, it seems like a waste of space (and time when you go through all 16 tracks)
Sat 15/11/03 at 22:12
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
It is by no means slow enough to bother me.
Sat 15/11/03 at 22:09
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Powersliding works a treat when you get used to it.

Practice on the Baby Circuit - start to powerslide a bit before you hit the question marks and control the way you swerve. You can take the corner perfectly this way, and it helps you get used to them as well.

Another useful course for trying powersliding is the DK Island course, when you've finished going down the mountain and are back on the grass bits. Start to powerslide about half way between each of the two corners. This might seem a tad early, but trust me, it isn't.
Sat 15/11/03 at 22:06
Regular
"Touched!"
the powerslide i still aint got the hang of, but about these speed issues, what are you playing it on? 50hz or 60hz? i'm playing it on 60hz and it seems fast to me, in no way is it slow.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.