GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mario Kart: Double Dash!! First Impressions"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 14/11/03 at 23:28
Regular
What a horrible disappointment.

The soundtrack is nothing above poor, and the graphics are vibrant but mostly lack detail. The courses are, on the whole, poorly designed and incredibly short-lapped. There's a distinct lack of options, and battle mode is brought down by the awful arena design and unforgivable lack of bots. The gameplay is generally good, but too slow, especially now F-Zero GX is released.

This seems to mark a worrying trend for the series; this is worse than Mario Kart 64, and that wasn't as good as the original. Even Crash Team Racing, a PSOne game and a blatent rip-off, has better design in some respects. I see no explanation other than the fact that this was rushed out to give sales a boost at Christmas. Oh Nintendo? What have you done?

A shame. But these are first impressions, and I have only played about an hour and a half. Perhaps I'll grow to love it. At present however, it IS good, but only around 6-7/10.
Sun 16/11/03 at 15:01
Regular
I haven't tried unlocking the staff ghosts yet, something to do once I've unlocked everything (which should be soon)

:D
Sun 16/11/03 at 14:59
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Auf deutsch™ wrote:
> You get them by getting gold on the Star Cup in Mirror Mode, but it
> was bloody hard...

Not really, the only really hard level is the last one...the DK one...
Sun 16/11/03 at 14:58
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Luigi's Mansion is a good battle level in my opinion. I have now got gold in everything apart from:

All Cup Tour: 50cc, 100cc and Mirror Mode

I am finding Staff Ghosts on Time Trial very annoying as from what I can see you cannot save them...can anyone tell me how to save them (If this is possible?)!
Sun 16/11/03 at 12:55
Regular
Ahhh...*SPOLIER*

Just won the final set of characters...and I ain't tellin' ya who they are (just click on the link a few posts below)

You get them by getting gold on the Star Cup in Mirror Mode, but it was bloody hard...
Sun 16/11/03 at 12:23
Regular
Luigi's Mansion is Ok (you can actually hide behind a wall) and Tilt a Cart is clever, but still not that different from the norm.
Sun 16/11/03 at 12:19
Regular
Does anyone else agree with me that battle mode arenas are really crap?

For those who have unlocked them, what are Luigi's Mansion and Tilt-A-Kart like?
Sun 16/11/03 at 12:12
Regular
AfroJoe wrote:
> Auf deutsch™ wrote:
> Damn, I just found the ultimate *SPOLIER*
>
> http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/gamecube/code/13206.html
>
> DON'T look if you don't want to find out every unlockable
>
> Lets just say, if you work *extremely* hard, you might get a nice
> suprise even after you get the Toad family...
>
> What is this ultimate spoiler then?
>
> All I can see there is Mirror Mode which I knew all about already,
> and some new Start Up screens.
>
> Pfft. I've unlocked all worth unlocking. :-D

Dammit, look more carefully, like Ashman ;)
Sun 16/11/03 at 11:59
Regular
"tokyo police club"
Don't go for one of the middle characters (i.e. Mario and Luigi)

Either go for a really big pairing or a tiny pairing.

Also, once you unlock him, 'The small dude' (avoiding spoilers) is awesome
Sun 16/11/03 at 11:50
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Pick characters with good weapons, while storing and using these weapons wisely.

That is all I can really say. :-)
Sun 16/11/03 at 11:45
Regular
"Touched!"
I can't wait to unlock some of the other stuff, any tips for winning on 100cc special cup courses? i'm finding it really difficult!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.