GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I just saw Spirited Away, and..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 07/10/03 at 18:19
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
I *liked* it! Remember this for future reference Goatboy et al. You can add it to the list of Robert Rankin, Final Fantasy VII and Led Zeppelin.

Anyway, for some reason they decided to show the film today a few weeks after release. And it was on the premier screen. Which is r0x0ring to say the least. The seats are actually normal, non-folding ones, and there was more legroom than a normal screen when the seats are folded. And the drinks holders were better. And there was a little table on the end of each row. And it was really small, and two tiered. And there were three people in there, one being the person I went with. And and and...

The film was excellent, but completely bonkers and a lot....most of it didn't make sense, but to be honest it wouldn't be a good anime if it did. And if that's not enough it's got Tara Strong, voice of Rikku in FFX, the guy who did Colonel Campbell in MGS (who more than likely has a name, but if he has I can't remember it), and John Ratzenberger, Cliff in Cheers and seems to have been in most Pixar films, all voice acting. Yep. So watch it. And not as in "so watch it or I'll duff you up".
Fri 10/10/03 at 16:03
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
Wonderful Days is SO worth it; I got it from http://www.stores.ebay.com/mrkwangskoreancddvdshop

Dirt cheap, and despite the criminally low postage charge he averages around a week to deliver, and they are real genuine DVD sets, not cheap Hong Kong knockoffs. Using Paypal it costs about less than one new anime R2 DVD so it's well worth it.

True, the emphasis is on visuals and music, but it's just so different, and the characters grow on you the more you watch it.

Another good series I'm looking forward to is Full Metal Panic, got the Hong Kong version a while ago but I want to see how good/bad a job ADV have made of the dubbing...

Plus, another short but good DVD I got recently, Voice Of A Distant Star, at just 30 mins long you'd be forgiven for ignoring it, but it's a brilliant anime short film.

Basically, it's set in the future and we've managed to seriously annoy some other race, set against this a boy and girl grow up, until she leaves to join the military and become a space pilot. The two keep in contact by text messages, but as the war goes on it takes longer and longer for the boy to receive the messages, and they are all that lets him know she is still alive, and in turn all that she has to remind her of Earth. But, because of how space travel works, she is aging slower than he is...

Stunning visuals, haunting music (including a rare english soundtrack for a change!) great story.
Fri 10/10/03 at 14:46
Regular
On the subject of what is old, wasn't Dragonball complete in the late 80ies? And now the "new" series finally makes it to the UK after 17 years since it started. I think the closet series we've had to the original airing date in Japan is Blue Gender (1999-10-08 to 2000-03-31) so even that's over 2 and half years old when Sci Fi picked it up.

Laputa - Castle in the Sky 2nd dub was completed for 1999 yet now in October 2003 it's been delayed a week or more. I'm hoping the market is better for Laputa to be released in late 2003 than it would have been in 1999. Still it's annoying Disney have taken so long.
Fri 10/10/03 at 13:56
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Belldandy wrote:
> Wonderful Days - it is seriously amazing, if only it can get a release
> outside of South Korea....still there's a Korean guy on eBay selling
> it by the bucketload.

I'm tempted to buy that.
I've been interested in seeing it since I first saw the trailer, but I've since read quite a lot of negative reviews for it, saying basically that whilst it's a visual feast, the story and characters suck.
I'll still probably give it a go though to see for myself.
Fri 10/10/03 at 13:24
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
It's only two years old, which isn't exactly the shortest amount of time a film has taken to reach the UK, but I wouldn't call it "old".

I enjoyed it anyway. Really imaginative and 100% bonkers. Like those little paper things that chase the dragon guy (I won't attempt to spell his name; even though it sounds easy I'd probably get it wrong).
Fri 10/10/03 at 12:55
Regular
or America. Still it's nice to see any anime film get any publicity and showings in the UK.
Thu 09/10/03 at 16:47
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Belldandy wrote:
> Spirited Away is old.

Only if you live in Japan.
Thu 09/10/03 at 16:15
Regular
Wonderful Days - it is seriously amazing, if only it can get a release outside of South Korea....still there's a Korean guy on eBay selling it by the bucketload.

Spirited Away is old.
Wed 08/10/03 at 18:59
Regular
Anime is my fave form of film.

I love it.

It's the quality it's given that astounds me so much - This aint no poxy american cartoon trash. Its given a nice 'shine' to it.

People have a lot to learn from those Japs.
Wed 08/10/03 at 15:36
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Gaybot Toga Yob whatever you're latest anagram is, I think you're looking at it the wrong way. For instance your romantic comedy example: you don't like romantic comedies not simply because they are romantic comedies, you dislike them because they're clichéd, unfunny, exactly the same as the last one etc. In theory there could be a romantic comedy that you do like, because it didn't do those things.

The same applies for anime. You don't like it because it bores you, always contains giant robots or whatever you don't like about it. But on a particular occasion one might not do these things.

Plus what Totoro said about anime being a style rather than a genre - you can have any genre of film portrayed in anime.

I'm not trying to say you should like it, or even give it a chance, in fact I'm not sure what the point I'm making actually is, but I've typed it now so it seems a shame to waste it.
Wed 08/10/03 at 13:08
Regular
> Castle in the Sky is the same except that has a few Japanese
> trailers.
> It's a real shame.

Yes I noticed that too, a big shame, I think they've included dubtitles too instead of subtitles for the Japanese audio. I think they did that for the Princess Mononoke release as well. I guess they're trying to save as much money as they can.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.