GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I just saw Spirited Away, and..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 07/10/03 at 18:19
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
I *liked* it! Remember this for future reference Goatboy et al. You can add it to the list of Robert Rankin, Final Fantasy VII and Led Zeppelin.

Anyway, for some reason they decided to show the film today a few weeks after release. And it was on the premier screen. Which is r0x0ring to say the least. The seats are actually normal, non-folding ones, and there was more legroom than a normal screen when the seats are folded. And the drinks holders were better. And there was a little table on the end of each row. And it was really small, and two tiered. And there were three people in there, one being the person I went with. And and and...

The film was excellent, but completely bonkers and a lot....most of it didn't make sense, but to be honest it wouldn't be a good anime if it did. And if that's not enough it's got Tara Strong, voice of Rikku in FFX, the guy who did Colonel Campbell in MGS (who more than likely has a name, but if he has I can't remember it), and John Ratzenberger, Cliff in Cheers and seems to have been in most Pixar films, all voice acting. Yep. So watch it. And not as in "so watch it or I'll duff you up".
Tue 07/10/03 at 18:19
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
I *liked* it! Remember this for future reference Goatboy et al. You can add it to the list of Robert Rankin, Final Fantasy VII and Led Zeppelin.

Anyway, for some reason they decided to show the film today a few weeks after release. And it was on the premier screen. Which is r0x0ring to say the least. The seats are actually normal, non-folding ones, and there was more legroom than a normal screen when the seats are folded. And the drinks holders were better. And there was a little table on the end of each row. And it was really small, and two tiered. And there were three people in there, one being the person I went with. And and and...

The film was excellent, but completely bonkers and a lot....most of it didn't make sense, but to be honest it wouldn't be a good anime if it did. And if that's not enough it's got Tara Strong, voice of Rikku in FFX, the guy who did Colonel Campbell in MGS (who more than likely has a name, but if he has I can't remember it), and John Ratzenberger, Cliff in Cheers and seems to have been in most Pixar films, all voice acting. Yep. So watch it. And not as in "so watch it or I'll duff you up".
Tue 07/10/03 at 21:57
Regular
Yeah i'm considering watching this when its on DVD.

Non of ma mates are really interested in Anime so its pointless asking them. We're going to see Cabin Fever on saturday though.
Tue 07/10/03 at 23:19
Regular
Cabin Fever saturday
Finding Nemo sunday...

Can you feel the ever approaching pressence of Kill Bill...

I think you can. Listen carefully.
Wed 08/10/03 at 00:22
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Saw Spirited Away too, very very good indeed, although the plot was changed slightly from the Japanese version I saw a few months ago.
Looking forward to Kill Bill as well..
Wed 08/10/03 at 01:20
Regular
Seeing in Traditional japanese is alot better.
Wed 08/10/03 at 01:23
Regular
it in*
Wed 08/10/03 at 09:21
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
gamezfreak wrote:
> Yeah i'm considering watching this when its on DVD.

The US dvd has been out for some considerable time now, and is most likely fairly cheap from various places (provided you have a multi-region player that is).

Excellent film.
Wed 08/10/03 at 09:30
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I can't. I just can't.
Anime makes me bored the moment it starts, I just don't like cartoons anymore.
It may be well written, it may interesting but anime/manga/japanimation just bores me stupid no matter how much I try and kid myself otherwise.
Wed 08/10/03 at 09:54
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
But your old mucker Quentin Tarantino loves it.

I think the reason why modern anime would never totally catch on in this country is what has gone before. We've had the ultra violent nature of it shown off with early UK releases like Akira and Ninja Scroll etc, those early releases set the standard of people's expectations, shoe-horning the entire genre into the sort of underground culture we see today by marketing itself rather poorly, despite there being many accesible titles available too.
Then we had the Pokemon craze, where all anime was seen as this kind of hyperactive junk brainwashing children and giving them convulsions because it's so crazy.

My dad doesn't like anime either, but he tends to group the entire industry in one specific thing: "just cartoons".
To the untrained eye, they are cartoons. Many of them have nothing to say, many are crazy or highly sensationalist, but there are also some amazing things out there, things with real stories, characters, amazing action or deep meanings.

They have as much merit as any normal films, they just happen to be animated. That's what I tell my dad, but he doesn't seem to care. He doesn't care for martial arts films either.

I wouldn't push someone to begin taking an interest in anime, but if they were only to try the better examples of the genre, they might think "hey, this old crap is actually pretty good."
Wed 08/10/03 at 09:59
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
But I don't say it's crap, I say I don't enjoy it.

I've tried watching it time and time again, with a mate that is obsessed with it and I just think "I don't care, I really don't care" and end up reading a magazine until he turns it off.
I just don't enjoy it, it doesn't work for me.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.