GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Animal Rights"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 06/09/03 at 12:10
Regular
"may contain nuts"
It may seem quite controversial to argue against animal rights but I have a raging feminist girl in my college class who argues about absolutely everything and she has pushed me to the psychological limit and provoked a bit of deep thinking on my part.

Since the dinosaurs perished and mankind became the dominant species on Earth, we have remained unchallenged. Well over 2000 years have gone by and we haven’t had a challenge to our power, a single species (namely us) has pretty much unlimited power. People talk about how intelligent dolphins and dogs are and how they are almost as clever as humans and even show human traits so should be treated equally. A few hundred years ago before the slave trade was abolished, black people were treated worse than animals despite the fact that they were in fact human.

Before the world decides to give animals all these special rights I think we need to sort out human rights before. Racial hatred is at an all time high and before animals start getting treated the same as humans, other humans need to start respecting each other and treat each other as equals.

If animals are smart enough to understand they aren’t treated equally then why don’t they go ahead and do something about it? Why, because they aren’t that smart. I am against animal cruelty for sure, I love animals and hate so see battery farming, fox hunting and animal testing going ahead but we need to develop a perspective. Our fellow man is more important than any animals. No matter how much you love your little pet hamster, a human life is more valuable.

I’m interested to listen to your views on the matter, so go on, discuss.
Mon 08/09/03 at 15:57
Regular
"may contain nuts"
Thanks kitkat

By the way, are you a he or a she ?
Sun 07/09/03 at 20:43
Regular
Bouncer wrote:
> This topic has got a lot of attention huh!

Yeah, guessed it might do!! Good topic for debate! :-)
Sun 07/09/03 at 19:10
Regular
"may contain nuts"
This topic has got a lot of attention huh!
Sun 07/09/03 at 16:30
Regular
Belldandy wrote:
> maddmun wrote:
> Belldandy wrote:
> And the weapons are not destorying the earth you fool, people yes,
> earth no.
>
> *Thinks about Hiroshima and Nagasaki*
>
> Look at the pictures from then, the damage was to human built
> structures and people, go back there now and the plants etc have all
> grown back to how they were. Nuclear weapons change the environment
> in which they are used, but they don't destory it, they may change
> the environment in a way that makes human life difficult or
> hazardous, but they do not destroy it. Nature adapts, and carries
> on.

Think about the global devstation though if there was a nuclear war, in less than 100 years, chances are, there will be one, and then, the plants won't grow back so quickly.

> And on a non-weapons related matter...
>
> *Chernobyl*
>
> Again, the effects were on people and livestock. The effects on the
> environment will heal eventually, given a 100 years or so, which in
> terms of natural history is a blink of an eye.

But, 100 years, for one accident, if it happens again, it'll probably be worse, and, being a perfect target in a war, I would not doubt that it will happen again.
Sun 07/09/03 at 12:31
Regular
Just to add what I believe.

I live my life with the attitude "thou shall not kill"

That includes Humans as well as Animals. I've been a Vegetarian all my life and am perfectly healthy.

One more thing, we are only as clever as our surroundings/resources make us. Just look at the contrast of wealth around the world. And when we are all created "equal" is that just by chance or is there a deeper meaning?
Sun 07/09/03 at 11:38
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Wow, this discussion has progressed a lot since I last posted. Very interesting indeed!

I feel that I must state that I do not support the actions of extremist animal rights activists who go around letting mink out of cages and throwing buckets of paint over people wearing fur coats. I believe that action such as that is pointless and only leads to a lack of support from the general public.

I just believe that we should not take advantage of animals. They are neccessary to our survival. Even the smallest insect has a purpose in the grand scale of things, and the diversity of species on this planet is truely amazing.

I don't think we will get anywhere by debating which species is best on this planet. Obviously, we are in possesion of a superior intellect and ability to adapt to our environment. However, millions of years ago, the dinosaurs filled that role, and where are they now? I believe that if we do not buck up our acts, we are going to end up in a situation where we will have destroyed our planet through pollution (I believe that the nuclear bomb destruction is less likely to happen than a slow decay of our world through apathy towards the environment.)

I know I have taken this discussion off topic, but I do not think this is a bad thing. Animal rights, human rights and the environment are all connected. Each requires humans to take responsibility for their actions and show compassion towards animals/humans/the planet that supports us.
Sun 07/09/03 at 09:15
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
maddmun wrote:
> Belldandy wrote:
> And the weapons are not destorying the earth you fool, people yes,
> earth no.
>
> *Thinks about Hiroshima and Nagasaki*

Look at the pictures from then, the damage was to human built structures and people, go back there now and the plants etc have all grown back to how they were. Nuclear weapons change the environment in which they are used, but they don't destory it, they may change the environment in a way that makes human life difficult or hazardous, but they do not destroy it. Nature adapts, and carries on.

> And on a non-weapons related matter...
>
> *Chernobyl*

Again, the effects were on people and livestock. The effects on the environment will heal eventually, given a 100 years or so, which in terms of natural history is a blink of an eye.

And yes, the virus cliche is just that, a cliche that sounds good to say but stupid in practice. Virus's attack everything in their path in the host, but when you look at human society you'll soon find we actually protect an awful lot of the planet, not to mention that the oceans have barely been explored, and whilst we consume natural resources, we also adapt and create new ones, find new ways of doing things, and so on.
Sun 07/09/03 at 00:13
Regular
Yeah its great to hear different opinions. Most of my mates have the same opinion as me so theres generally not a lot to debate about really!
Sun 07/09/03 at 00:08
Regular
It's great that I can actually express what I believe here on this forum about animal rights and other things like that. If I tried to start this conversation with my mates, they'd just laugh and say "Shut up Munn, they're animals, they don't matter". They're the most insensitive bunch of gits you could ever meet.

Hell, I tried to address the situation of Capital Punishment to one of them, and all he says is, who cares? It's not me. In a simplified version of the half hour arguement that's what it was translated as.
Sun 07/09/03 at 00:03
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
On the contrary, i would be more likely to be cruel to a person than to an animal. Human stupidity irritates me.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.