GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Animal Rights"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 06/09/03 at 12:10
Regular
"may contain nuts"
It may seem quite controversial to argue against animal rights but I have a raging feminist girl in my college class who argues about absolutely everything and she has pushed me to the psychological limit and provoked a bit of deep thinking on my part.

Since the dinosaurs perished and mankind became the dominant species on Earth, we have remained unchallenged. Well over 2000 years have gone by and we haven’t had a challenge to our power, a single species (namely us) has pretty much unlimited power. People talk about how intelligent dolphins and dogs are and how they are almost as clever as humans and even show human traits so should be treated equally. A few hundred years ago before the slave trade was abolished, black people were treated worse than animals despite the fact that they were in fact human.

Before the world decides to give animals all these special rights I think we need to sort out human rights before. Racial hatred is at an all time high and before animals start getting treated the same as humans, other humans need to start respecting each other and treat each other as equals.

If animals are smart enough to understand they aren’t treated equally then why don’t they go ahead and do something about it? Why, because they aren’t that smart. I am against animal cruelty for sure, I love animals and hate so see battery farming, fox hunting and animal testing going ahead but we need to develop a perspective. Our fellow man is more important than any animals. No matter how much you love your little pet hamster, a human life is more valuable.

I’m interested to listen to your views on the matter, so go on, discuss.
Sat 06/09/03 at 23:37
Regular
Belldandy wrote:
> *waits for the cliched "mankind is a virus" type references
> courtesy of whatever Hollywood junk the poster has seen*

Think about what he says though in that part of the film.
Are you denying that the human race is like that? Because, every word of it is true.
Sat 06/09/03 at 23:38
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
kitkat wrote:
> they have their own
> weapons (teeth,venom,spikes etc) apart from our ability to design,
> make weapons, we naturally have none.

We dont have teeth?

Oh.
Sat 06/09/03 at 23:40
Regular
cookie monster wrote:
> kitkat wrote:
> they have their own
> weapons (teeth,venom,spikes etc) apart from our ability to design,
> make weapons, we naturally have none.
>
> We dont have teeth?
>
> Oh.

yours are sharp like a great whites are they?
Sat 06/09/03 at 23:41
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
I should hope not, but i felt like being pedantic.

You would say that animals that cannot make their own weapons and tools are more evolved than us?
Sat 06/09/03 at 23:55
Regular
Well, yes.

The humans are an intelligent race, but, unlike dolphins, we actually have the ability to help ourselves thorugh evolution, that's why we have fingers etc, because of evolution, we now require to wear clothes to stay warm.

Because of our ancenstors who decided to start covering up, oarts of the human body no longer required hair to keep warm, so, through (d)evolution , we now require other animals to keep ourselves warm. How many other animals do this?

Had our ancestors no used weapons to attac anmials for food, we would have a lot more upper body strength and hands more suited to attacking rather than typing.

And finally, through evolution, in the future, humans will no longer have the lower body strength to walk as we are getting so lazy. This is what evolution is going to do to the humans.

So, are we REALLY so much more evolved than animals that we are willing to make ourselves weaker because we can't be bothered using our body to do things rather than weapons? I know I sound hypocritical here, considering the fact that I'm using a computer (A tool of evil) to type all of this, but, it's through evolution that this has happened. ANd there's nothing that any of us can do to stop it.
Sat 06/09/03 at 23:58
Regular
cookie monster wrote:
> I should hope not, but i felt like being pedantic.
>
> You would say that animals that cannot make their own weapons and
> tools are more evolved than us?

Yes with regards to adapting physically, bearing in mind they aren't able to make weapons. For example the salamander can live inside and out of water, which I think is pretty amazing. I'm not saying we're not, its pretty amazing that i'm on a pc now, that mankind has created, talking to loads of people on the net, I guess I was being bit pedantic too. I still don't understand why some people think there has to be a priority list. Why can't all ou planets problems be addressed? There are enuf people who care strongly to try and tackle problems simultaneously. Anyway, if people can't treat others with respect, then they are pretty spineless and would probally be cruel to animals too, and vice versa.
Sun 07/09/03 at 00:03
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
On the contrary, i would be more likely to be cruel to a person than to an animal. Human stupidity irritates me.
Sun 07/09/03 at 00:08
Regular
It's great that I can actually express what I believe here on this forum about animal rights and other things like that. If I tried to start this conversation with my mates, they'd just laugh and say "Shut up Munn, they're animals, they don't matter". They're the most insensitive bunch of gits you could ever meet.

Hell, I tried to address the situation of Capital Punishment to one of them, and all he says is, who cares? It's not me. In a simplified version of the half hour arguement that's what it was translated as.
Sun 07/09/03 at 00:13
Regular
Yeah its great to hear different opinions. Most of my mates have the same opinion as me so theres generally not a lot to debate about really!
Sun 07/09/03 at 09:15
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
maddmun wrote:
> Belldandy wrote:
> And the weapons are not destorying the earth you fool, people yes,
> earth no.
>
> *Thinks about Hiroshima and Nagasaki*

Look at the pictures from then, the damage was to human built structures and people, go back there now and the plants etc have all grown back to how they were. Nuclear weapons change the environment in which they are used, but they don't destory it, they may change the environment in a way that makes human life difficult or hazardous, but they do not destroy it. Nature adapts, and carries on.

> And on a non-weapons related matter...
>
> *Chernobyl*

Again, the effects were on people and livestock. The effects on the environment will heal eventually, given a 100 years or so, which in terms of natural history is a blink of an eye.

And yes, the virus cliche is just that, a cliche that sounds good to say but stupid in practice. Virus's attack everything in their path in the host, but when you look at human society you'll soon find we actually protect an awful lot of the planet, not to mention that the oceans have barely been explored, and whilst we consume natural resources, we also adapt and create new ones, find new ways of doing things, and so on.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.