GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Animal Rights"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 06/09/03 at 12:10
Regular
"may contain nuts"
It may seem quite controversial to argue against animal rights but I have a raging feminist girl in my college class who argues about absolutely everything and she has pushed me to the psychological limit and provoked a bit of deep thinking on my part.

Since the dinosaurs perished and mankind became the dominant species on Earth, we have remained unchallenged. Well over 2000 years have gone by and we haven’t had a challenge to our power, a single species (namely us) has pretty much unlimited power. People talk about how intelligent dolphins and dogs are and how they are almost as clever as humans and even show human traits so should be treated equally. A few hundred years ago before the slave trade was abolished, black people were treated worse than animals despite the fact that they were in fact human.

Before the world decides to give animals all these special rights I think we need to sort out human rights before. Racial hatred is at an all time high and before animals start getting treated the same as humans, other humans need to start respecting each other and treat each other as equals.

If animals are smart enough to understand they aren’t treated equally then why don’t they go ahead and do something about it? Why, because they aren’t that smart. I am against animal cruelty for sure, I love animals and hate so see battery farming, fox hunting and animal testing going ahead but we need to develop a perspective. Our fellow man is more important than any animals. No matter how much you love your little pet hamster, a human life is more valuable.

I’m interested to listen to your views on the matter, so go on, discuss.
Tue 09/09/03 at 17:01
Regular
*Looks at tagline*
Tue 09/09/03 at 16:56
"Darth Vader 3442321"
maddmun wrote:
> I still think that we take this entire planet for granted.
> Think The Simpsons Treehouse Of Horror and dolphins taking over the
> world.
> I want that to happen, so that people take animals more seriously.
>
> And your comment about taking on the Croc in the Nile, it'd just
> sink, BECAUSE IT'S SO DAMN HEAVY.
>
> Animals are better than us in almost every way except in their
> ability to make use of their materials.
>
> And, yes, insects will take over the world, as they'll survive the
> nuclear holocaust that will ravage this planet.
>
> Don't be so stupid, thinking that leaders won't target Nuclear
> area's. The fact is, if you bomb a Nuclear plant, the radiation will
> cost thousands of deaths, now, if every Nuclear power plant in
> britain was bombed, the entire continent would be disrupted, so, the
> same things would be targeted in the enemies country.
>
> World leaders aren't that smart to think ahead, and by god,
> terrorists won't even stop to think of doing something like that to
> cause an all out massive war.
>
> Yes, I've gone off the topic of animal rights a little, but, I'm just
> trying to show you that no other animal on this planet will do
> anything remotely near as destroying the planet as the human race
> will.

The mind of a genius if he was indeed a spastic.
Tue 09/09/03 at 16:45
Regular
I still think that we take this entire planet for granted.
Think The Simpsons Treehouse Of Horror and dolphins taking over the world.
I want that to happen, so that people take animals more seriously.

And your comment about taking on the Croc in the Nile, it'd just sink, BECAUSE IT'S SO DAMN HEAVY.

Animals are better than us in almost every way except in their ability to make use of their materials.

And, yes, insects will take over the world, as they'll survive the nuclear holocaust that will ravage this planet.

Don't be so stupid, thinking that leaders won't target Nuclear area's. The fact is, if you bomb a Nuclear plant, the radiation will cost thousands of deaths, now, if every Nuclear power plant in britain was bombed, the entire continent would be disrupted, so, the same things would be targeted in the enemies country.

World leaders aren't that smart to think ahead, and by god, terrorists won't even stop to think of doing something like that to cause an all out massive war.

Yes, I've gone off the topic of animal rights a little, but, I'm just trying to show you that no other animal on this planet will do anything remotely near as destroying the planet as the human race will.
Tue 09/09/03 at 15:12
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
The sagacious one wrote:
> Insane Bartender wrote:
>
> You even said yourself "in your environment" you're
> superior. In other's you're not. So get off you're little high horse
> and realise that humans are not as special as they like to think.
>
> Surely that comment is slightly ironic?

Not to mention contradictory - a little high horse?
Tue 09/09/03 at 14:46
"Darth Vader 3442321"
Let us not forget Whales also consume vast quantities of plankton; our friendly oxygen producing allies.
Tue 09/09/03 at 14:34
"Darkness, always"
It's the beginning of a whole new wave of "compensatory controls", like in the maldives, where they're having to capture and slaughter certain starfish because they're eating what little undamaged coral they have left after pollution and tourism destroyed most of it.

There are numerous examples.
Tue 09/09/03 at 14:21
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
What I found to sum up pur attitudes:

Iceland commenced Whaling again, because the whales are "a threat to our fish stocks now"
Tue 09/09/03 at 14:09
"Darth Vader 3442321"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> so how did anything survive without an atmosphere?

The shift in the poles takes 1000s of years to complete, and large portions of the atmosphere are removed (the ozone layer is stripped away) and subsequently large areas of the Earth are exposed to very high doses of radiation. However there is never a point in time when there is no atmosphere whatsoever; it takes the form of a patchwork quilt. i concede that I should have made this clearer. This whole effect is caused by the flow of magma beneath the Earth's crust which has a very high Iron content. The movement of these charged ions creates a magnetic field, culminating in two poles.

The large and stupid Dinosaurs would not be able to survive having their habitats destroyed to such an extent, whilst the aquatic animals and land mammals are still able to find suitable environments in which to survive.

Eventually the atmosphere is restored and life continues to thrive again.
Tue 09/09/03 at 13:56
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Déb wrote:
> I find the point that humans are more inclined to feel a duty of
> protection towards 'cute' mammals than fish, insects or reptiles very
> interesting.
>
> We are driven by sociobiological urges to care for animals that are
> similar to human babies. For instance, few people can resist the
> allure of a tiny puppy or kitten with it's large eyes and appealing
> mannerisms, yet the appeal of a salmon is limited. It is, therefdre,
> no coincidence that the most popular charities are those relating to
> children and animals. It seems that our interest in the welfare of
> both is motivated by a subconscious desire to protect our genes
> rather than a truely altruistic reason. It is ironic that our most
> admirable actions such as the care of an injured animal or the
> protection of an abused child are natural progressions from our
> ancestors' motivation to selfishly pass on their own genes!

I never knew that...most interesting! Thanks for that!!
Tue 09/09/03 at 13:31
Regular
"Hmmm....."
I find the point that humans are more inclined to feel a duty of protection towards 'cute' mammals than fish, insects or reptiles very interesting.

We are driven by sociobiological urges to care for animals that are similar to human babies. For instance, few people can resist the allure of a tiny puppy or kitten with it's large eyes and appealing mannerisms, yet the appeal of a salmon is limited. It is, therefdre, no coincidence that the most popular charities are those relating to children and animals. It seems that our interest in the welfare of both is motivated by a subconscious desire to protect our genes rather than a truely altruistic reason. It is ironic that our most admirable actions such as the care of an injured animal or the protection of an abused child are natural progressions from our ancestors' motivation to selfishly pass on their own genes!

Luckily, the animals that are most in danger of being neglected by certain human beings, are the ones that are equally likely to appeal to the sector of our population who endevour to help them. Those that are less appealing (such as fish) will have to rely on human greed and selfishness to protect them- hopefully this will occur before the world population empties the seas of fish stock.

Imagine if insects were to evolve to be as large as human beings. They are often overlooked in their immense capabilities for teamwork and adaptation to their environment. As my old biology teacher once said, "one day, insects may take over the world!"

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.