GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I need a Wii"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 05/06/06 at 20:57
Regular
"lets go back"
Im still unsure if Im even going to bother getting a new console any time soon. The 360 is out and so far Im not interested so I can pretty much rule that out for now. Im a Sony fan I guess. My Xbox is packed away in a wardrobe while my PS2 is still being played so naturally the PS3 should be my front runner and, to some extent, it is. Launch titles never look good to me on any console but I trust that sony will bring out similar titles that made me a fan of theirs in recent years. If it was a choice between PS3 or 360 Id probably go PS3 (but the price is a put off)

Now for the reason this is in the Nintendo section: The Wii.

Im still unsure what to think of this bizzare console. I love the idea of it being a completely different look on the idea of modern gaming with this bizzare new controller but Im worried that the games may be no more than 10 minute time filling novelties. The idea that they are concentration on playability rather than graphics appeals to me in bucketloads though. I dont care how good the graphice are as long as Im having fun. This makes me think that I want a Wii, plus they are going to be quite cheap.
Tue 27/06/06 at 06:32
Regular
"8==="
Kawada wrote:
> I'll wait a year or so after the PS3 has come out until i judge
> the game library. The PS2 had a poor launch line up and then
> ended up having tons of great games so i'll wait a bit and see
> how it goes.

Written like a true 360 owner. ;)
Mon 26/06/06 at 21:32
Regular
"Mooching around"
biglime wrote:
> Also I have yet to see variety in the Xboxs lineup, and that's > a year into its life.

Exactly. This is still the only reason I have yet to buy a 360.

By the way, hate me if you will, but nearly all the Wii games will be 5 minute wonders
Mon 26/06/06 at 20:24
Regular
Some incorrect details in Jay's account, namely Assassin's Creed being PS3 exclusive, not 360. Also I have yet to see variety in the Xboxs lineup, and that's a year into its life.
Mon 26/06/06 at 19:12
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
I'll wait a year or so after the PS3 has come out until i judge the game library. The PS2 had a poor launch line up and then ended up having tons of great games so i'll wait a bit and see how it goes.
Mon 26/06/06 at 18:29
Regular
"Booyakasha"
Where have you guys been?

I guess I will update you on the info you're missing.

The most important thing to remember is that Nintendo have announced, they will give us the exact details before/in September. This is when all the magazines and fansites etc. are going to go crazy and information is going to start flooding in.

Okay, so the release date. Well, it will be before Christmas that is for sure, most people are saying October.

The price (this is the best bit) will be less than $250. This is a wii price (er?) compared to the $600 for PS3. Again most people in the know seem to think the price will be $199.

Not specs are available anywhere. But rest assured it will be more powerfull than Gamecube, around the XBox mark.

But the most important thing...yes the launch games (I believe these are all confirmed):

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight PrincessGame of all games
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption1st person
Wii SportsGimmicky sports game
Red Steel1st person
Tony Hawk's Downhill Jamsports
Madden NFL 2007American football
Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of MirrorsRPG
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitzpuzzler
Metal Slug Anthologyshooter
Trauma Center: Second Opinion??
Elebits pikimon type puzzle
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance X-men
Blitz: The League American footbal
Rayman Raving Rabbids platformer

Also here are some unconfirmed for launch or shortly after launch games:

Super Mario Galaxy
Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
Project H.A.M.M.E.R.
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Sonic Wild Fire
Excite Truck

The list goes on including... Soul Calibur 4. I don't know when that one is suppose to come out though. I think we can safely say the games won't just be 10 minute novelties!

Don't forget the Nintendo Wii will have an online service much like XBox live. The service will allow you to download any past game for the NES SNES Megadrive and NEC TurboGrafx. That's a lot of games. You play these retro games with the bundled special retro controller (looks like a snes controller with analog). The service will even automatically download DS demo games for you and then upload them wirelessly to your DS.

Yes you will be able to use your DS to connect to your Wii wirelessly. It will give your games a touch pad facility, I am not too sure how that is to work in games. It could give you handwriting recognition which would be cool for surfing the net on your wii and possibly for chat (no news of a microphone yet) while your in a game.

As for the controller. We'll just have to see. I think it's going to be one of those things that you just have to try to believe. I mean, I was very sceptical about the DS with dual screens and a touch screen, but since I bought one, I have become a true believer. From all the reviews I have read over the last month from E3 2006, everybody thought the Wii stole the show and that the controller really works well.

A little note about the competition:

I think Nintendo's only concern should be the XBox360 as the games that are coming this quater look amazing, including Halo3 and Assasin's Creed. PS3, hmmm. Well even Sony say it's a computer and not a console, at least that's their excuse for the price. Sorry Sony fans the games are also looking pretty poor. I think if you choose to buy PS3 you need to ask yourself is it worth the extra cost just for a machine with BluRay and Linux???

P.S. Happy 15th birthday Sonic!
Mon 26/06/06 at 13:45
Regular
When is it coming out?
Sun 25/06/06 at 22:49
"possibly impossible"
Well, I'll be getting one next year.
Fri 23/06/06 at 23:36
Regular
"Colourless"
For some reason, I really did laugh at the title.
Wed 07/06/06 at 11:38
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Nintendo are making a calculated gamble, probably based on the success of the DS - a console which has beaten it's closest rival in all territories whilst being technically inferior to it -, that this Christmas the gaming public will go for innovation and fun rather than expensive super consoles aimed pretty much at the older gamers.

It is fair to say that a large number of people now have the X360 and will be looking at getting another console this Christmas. Given that the PS3 does not really offer these people a great deal new, especially with dire looking launch line up, then the Wii is positioned very nicely as a cheap alternative with something new to offer these people.

For parents the Wii is cheaper than the PS3, and I firmly believe that the high price of the PS3 places it out of reach for what the majority of Sony's fan base has become. I do not think that many of the hardcore gamers still believe Sony is the king of gaming anymore, these are the people who will not be drawn into the PS3 with the promise of a substandard F1 game, a flashier Singstar and a graphically excellent but otherwise lame looking flight game.

The gaming press and public are not, largely, remembering the PS2 launch as it actually was i.e. it was not mainstream until months after the 199.99 price change. Nor were the launch titles anything to shout about unless you were a die hard Tekken and Ridge Racer fan. Faulty machines also dwarfed the number of faulty 360 consoles easily but Sony could not even replace them easily, unlike Microsoft.

Nintendo's flaw with the Gamecube were the launch titles. This is clearly, if Nintendo stick to their word - something it has noticeably improved at recently -, not a problem for the Wii. Zelda on day one is fantastic, as is full backwards compatibility and link up with the DS - imagine the possibilities for that?

True, GBA link up on the Gamecube was a little used flop, but people are now more used to the idea, as Sony has shown with the PSP. Wireless link up is easy and takes little to none technical knowledge. Nintendo has already implemented its free wifi service with relative ease, albeit knowhere near as comprehensive as the Microsoft equivalent. It is, however, home to more users than any other console equivalent - demonstrating ease of use and that Nintendo's consumer base is interested in it.

I believe that this time Nintendo really is onto a winner, that they can go head to head with Microsoft, and that Sony is relinquishing number one spot at last. True competition, rather than Sony dominance, is good for all gamers.
Tue 06/06/06 at 14:21
Regular
"8==="
FantasyMeister wrote:
>
> Why spend billions of yen developing a new console if the only
> useful new thing it offers is the controller? Maybe they
> didn't? Maybe Revolution is just a slimline Gamecube?

I think it's supposed to be as powerful as the current Xbox so it might be a bit more powerful, anyway that's the thing Nintendo are trying to get away from: the stats.

They want to fully back and push an entirely new way of playing games and you don't do that by providing an extra style of controller for an existing console: you do that by bundling the new controller with EVERY one of the new consoles you bring out so games made for the new controller will be able to be played by everyone who owns the console (unlike something like the eye-toy which is seperate and therefore has smaller sales and isn't going to change the way people pay games forever).

It's a gamble but when you look at the positive feedback and awards from E3 etc it's likely that Nintendo will be able to introduce the Wii as a very credible new way to play games nad in doing so reach out to a wider audience with the simpler dynamic.

This isn't just some fad or gimmic: this is a revolution!

/Dringo

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.