GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I need a Wii"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 05/06/06 at 20:57
Regular
"lets go back"
Im still unsure if Im even going to bother getting a new console any time soon. The 360 is out and so far Im not interested so I can pretty much rule that out for now. Im a Sony fan I guess. My Xbox is packed away in a wardrobe while my PS2 is still being played so naturally the PS3 should be my front runner and, to some extent, it is. Launch titles never look good to me on any console but I trust that sony will bring out similar titles that made me a fan of theirs in recent years. If it was a choice between PS3 or 360 Id probably go PS3 (but the price is a put off)

Now for the reason this is in the Nintendo section: The Wii.

Im still unsure what to think of this bizzare console. I love the idea of it being a completely different look on the idea of modern gaming with this bizzare new controller but Im worried that the games may be no more than 10 minute time filling novelties. The idea that they are concentration on playability rather than graphics appeals to me in bucketloads though. I dont care how good the graphice are as long as Im having fun. This makes me think that I want a Wii, plus they are going to be quite cheap.
Sun 02/07/06 at 21:33
Regular
It would be fairly weird to try and complete a FPS with the wii control, because surely you'd have to pick which mode it would be in, classic controller or motion sensoring thing. Otherwise when you jumped back becuase of the suprise of an enemy e.g. on the good old goldeneye :) then the controls would go mental :s I don't think they have really though it through also on the playstation2 not 3! there was already a motion controller done by another company, but it never took off becuase it was just classed as a novelty, eventhough it was only £20. If anyones interested in that controller it was fairly domed shaped and had a british flag on the front, if I come across it ill throw you guys a link but I thought I would just let you know that this motion sensing is nothing new :( I am stillw aiting for the controls to be done by brainwaves like the US military have on their "training centres" which is just a fancy way of saying lan gaming centre ;-)
Sat 01/07/06 at 14:08
Regular
"Mooching around"
Jayce-ski wrote:
> Cruciatum Fixative wrote:
> I smell another rubbish mario spin-off
>
> I smell someone who doesn't like Mario games. In which case,
> don't buy a Nintendo. But, if you decide not to buy Nintendo you
> will be missing out on some great games, including some of the
> great sports titles (which you have to agree, will be really
> interesting on the Wii controller): Madden NFL, Tiger Woods,
> Tony Hawk, NBA Live 07
. Or how about all those FPS games:
> Medal of Honor, Metroid Prime, James Bond, Red Steel.
> Just to name a few.

Interesting, yes, but that doesn't mean that they will necessarily be fun.

I am very interested in the console itself, and would love to play it one day. It all just seems to be a little "five-minute-wonder" to me is all.
Sat 01/07/06 at 13:39
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Jayce-ski wrote:
> Cruciatum Fixative wrote:
>
> I smell someone who doesn't like Mario games. In which case,
> don't buy a Nintendo. But, if you decide not to buy Nintendo you
> will be missing out on some great games, including some of the
> great sports titles (which you have to agree, will be really
> interesting on the Wii controller): Madden NFL, Tiger Woods,
> Tony Hawk, NBA Live 07
. Or how about all those FPS games:
> Medal of Honor, Metroid Prime, James Bond, Red Steel.
> Just to name a few.

Call this a crazy hunch, you know, totally way out there thinking but somehow i think the likes of Madden and NBA Live will be multi-format releases so he won't really be missing out at all. In fact the only ones he will be missing out on in that whole list are MP and Red Steel.

Granted they won't be having magic wand waving gameplay but they'll still be available.
Sat 01/07/06 at 12:05
Regular
"Booyakasha"
Cruciatum Fixative wrote:

I smell someone who doesn't like Mario games. In which case, don't buy a Nintendo. But, if you decide not to buy Nintendo you will be missing out on some great games, including some of the great sports titles (which you have to agree, will be really interesting on the Wii controller): Madden NFL, Tiger Woods, Tony Hawk, NBA Live 07 . Or how about all those FPS games: Medal of Honor, Metroid Prime, James Bond, Red Steel. Just to name a few.

Cruciatum Fixative wrote:
> Maybe another rubbish EyeToy: Kinetic thing then?

I really hope not. I have only heard good things from people who have tried it.

JL Wrote:
> Is it going to be more kiddies games from nintendo then...?

I wonder how old you are? Anyway. I don't think I have named one kiddy game so far. However, I have to admit that Nintendo does have a kiddy image, which is only so strong here in Europe. If you look at Nintendo's market here in the UK for example. You notice that the majority of people who own GameCube are kids (which believe it or not are the minority of console owners) . Also notice that as the GameCube hasn't performed too well, alot of third party developers have found that the GameCube wasn't viable to develop games for. This leads to a pretty crap market in the UK so only kiddy style games make it on to shop's shelves. Which is a shame, just look across the pond at America and you notice that they have tons more GameCube games and they have a higher percentage of more adult games there too.

So what am I saying...Well...We need to break this stupid image that Nintendo make kiddies games. Back in the day, games all looked a little child like with the simple graphics and limited colours, even classics like Rambo 3 (You probably won't remember that one JL ;)). If someone was to make Rambo 3 on NextGen it would probably be a 1st person Doom type game. Maybe you would like to see an FPS Mario with a Missile launcher shooting Terrorists (blood and guts flying everwhere) while Princess Peach is wearing erotic underwear strapped over Mario's shoulder as he stomps over a barren war-torn Mushroom world. (hmm maybe I should start a new thread with this idea.) So... I hope you can see that 'adult' games are just eye candy, the graphics that you wrap around the game mechanics is what makes the game adult.

...at least thats my opinion.
Wed 28/06/06 at 22:32
Regular
"Mooching around"
Machie wrote:
> I think they want it to appeal to everyone, even people who don't
> normally play games which means umm I don't know but I think
> people are going to tire their arms if they have to swing
> controls around like swords or tennis rackets.

Maybe another rubbish EyeToy: Kinetic thing then?

Wow, the list grows worse.
Wed 28/06/06 at 22:29
Regular
I think they want it to appeal to everyone, even people who don't normally play games which means umm I don't know but I think people are going to tire their arms if they have to swing controls around like swords or tennis rackets.
Wed 28/06/06 at 22:25
Regular
"Mooching around"
I smell another rubbish mario spin-off
Wed 28/06/06 at 22:23
Regular
"Colourless"
Is it going to be more kiddies games from nintendo then...?
Wed 28/06/06 at 20:46
Regular
"8==="
It's gonna be the wizzle dizzle dawg!
Wed 28/06/06 at 20:35
Regular
When does the Wii come out?

heh

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.