GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why ps2 is not so great"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 09/02/01 at 23:52
Regular
hi am am ben and i am new to this site...anyways, i would like to comment on my views of the ps2.

why the hell is this machine £300 in the first place...its 128 bit graphics ..EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE DREAMCAST( which u can get for a nifty £149.99 with a couple of games thrown in..might i add )

there are no games on the ps2 superior to the dreamcast in any form or manor. I would like to hear everyones comment on a game on the ps2 having better graphics than that of soul calibur or doa2 or shenmue...and im sure i will!!!

oh yes u say......"but the ps2 has a dvd player"....ok...u can get a package with the dreamcast where u get a seperate classy dvd for £249.99

Also the dreamcast supports 60 hz televisions making it untouchable to the likes of the ps2..... bring it on
Sun 11/02/01 at 23:45
According to reports from Japan, there is concern that Sony will fail to meet their sales targets for the PlayStation 2 - meaning a domino effect for the rest of the industry.

As is public knowledge, Sony had aimed to ship and sell 10 million units by March of this year, but due to maufacturing glitches they had to - for example - drastically cut the US shipping figure from 1 million to 500,000 units (UK gamers will be well aware of the lack of units here).

Back in December, the chief executive of Sony Computer Entertainment Ken Kutaragi said that they could ship 1.5 million units per month from January to March. However, Famitsu showed that Sony actually sold 161,644 units in December and 65,330 units in November in Japan - which does show a glaring disparity. Current industry analysis is showing that the January sales will not help in this situation.
Sun 11/02/01 at 23:40
Regular
"everyone says it"
Dan2k1 the DVD with the Dreamcast is one of the best available!!! The PS2 DVD is puny compared!!!

All above is facts.
Sun 11/02/01 at 23:34
Good point.

Yes - it's quite a fast console...

Sun 11/02/01 at 23:26
I think it is a good idea for sega to create games for other consoles because even when they stop selling dreamcast they will be making a lot more money.

Anyway i'm sure sega have got another console up their sleave.
Sun 11/02/01 at 23:22
Rav - I have DoA2 on Dreamcast and played TTT and DoA2 today in Virgin Megastores and I can tell you that the Dreamcast version of DoA2 has better lighting effects and better graphics, but you may be right about the modes. Anyway - Sega are releasing 100 Dreamcast games right, and only 30 cross format - and that doesn't mean 30 for PS2. I'm not one to dismiss anything with potential, but it seems as though the PS2 doesn't have much at the moment. Sega are more likely to support GBA greater than PS2, but I can get a PS2 for £150 anyway so it doesn't matter.

Sun 11/02/01 at 21:49
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Actually, the PS2 version has slightly jaggie graphics, but there are better lighting effects, and more modes.

SonicRav
Sun 11/02/01 at 21:43
....i have noticed that some people have replied to my letter saying that doa2 is on the ps2 aswell......

i just want to say that it has been proved that the dc version is better than the ps2 version ( graphics and gameplay ) and take it from me...the critics are right
Sun 11/02/01 at 14:02
Regular
I think the PS2 will only have as good games as the Dreamcast, when Sega start releasing games for it.

...Does anybody know anything on the games yet? Screenshots? Dates?
Sun 11/02/01 at 13:38
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
God! Such an unoriginal topic.. I'll stand by ant on this. I have a DC and have always been the first to praise it, but still! Son't dis the PS2... at the end of the day, the games matter...

The DC has the best game sfor now.... but for how long. Production stops soon, and I doubt it'll be supported anywhere near as much as the PS2. Menawhile, the PS2 is getting great games this year- MGS2, FFsomething, and LOADS OF SEGA GAMES! That's why I'm now considering buying one... I love sega games, and I'll probably end up following them.

As for all the other DC owneres, if Sega concentrate on the PS2 after the DC dies, then u too should buy a PS2... it's all about the games remember!

SonicRav
Sun 11/02/01 at 11:36
Umm - you haven't played Shenmue?
Think of an idea that you really want to be made into a game. Then realise that this game will be as groundbreaking as the very first computer games, then think that someone else's idea could be turned into a computer - expense isn't an issue. After this find out about all the games Yu Suzuki has designed, and then you may have an idea of what you think Shenmue will be like. Play the game and you'll be completely wrong.

It's that good!!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.