GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why ps2 is not so great"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 09/02/01 at 23:52
Regular
hi am am ben and i am new to this site...anyways, i would like to comment on my views of the ps2.

why the hell is this machine £300 in the first place...its 128 bit graphics ..EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE DREAMCAST( which u can get for a nifty £149.99 with a couple of games thrown in..might i add )

there are no games on the ps2 superior to the dreamcast in any form or manor. I would like to hear everyones comment on a game on the ps2 having better graphics than that of soul calibur or doa2 or shenmue...and im sure i will!!!

oh yes u say......"but the ps2 has a dvd player"....ok...u can get a package with the dreamcast where u get a seperate classy dvd for £249.99

Also the dreamcast supports 60 hz televisions making it untouchable to the likes of the ps2..... bring it on
Fri 09/02/01 at 23:52
hi am am ben and i am new to this site...anyways, i would like to comment on my views of the ps2.

why the hell is this machine £300 in the first place...its 128 bit graphics ..EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE DREAMCAST( which u can get for a nifty £149.99 with a couple of games thrown in..might i add )

there are no games on the ps2 superior to the dreamcast in any form or manor. I would like to hear everyones comment on a game on the ps2 having better graphics than that of soul calibur or doa2 or shenmue...and im sure i will!!!

oh yes u say......"but the ps2 has a dvd player"....ok...u can get a package with the dreamcast where u get a seperate classy dvd for £249.99

Also the dreamcast supports 60 hz televisions making it untouchable to the likes of the ps2..... bring it on
Sat 10/02/01 at 00:03
While the PS2 is currently at £300, you are right in that you can get the dreamcast with a far better quality DVD player for less and a couple of games are thrown in too. How's that for a great deal - well, I did it myself and got this deal and I can tell you that after extensive playing of Blade on both the PS2 and my Encore Dv-450 the Encore wins hands down.

Welcom to the site Ben - good to see another happy Dreamcast owner, maybe people will learn that PS2 is just a hyped up piece of 1980's scrap plastic with bugs in about 3% of them.

Anyway, there are no games on PS2 as of this moment that can compare with Shenmue or Soul Calibur - I doubt if Virtua Fighter 4 can even attempt to compete with the Classic Namco fighter.

Dan2K1
Sat 10/02/01 at 00:35
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I found that Viruta fighter 3 was much more beneficial to a button basher than someone who sits down and practises with a fighter. Seemed that the best way to win was to pick Pai Chan and go mental with the buttons.

Soul Caliber is so much better and to me still remains the benchmark for beat em ups to beat now.

Sat 10/02/01 at 00:43
Well, I never got VF3 TB, but VF2 remains every bit the classic that it always has done even before it was released. I think Yu Suzuki IS the best games designer in the world, and Shenmue the Saga will be better than Final Fantasy. Good thing Shenmue has sold 1.2million worldwide huh?

Anyway, Dreamcast just makes PS2 look bad because it is so good - maybe the PS2 is the next best thing, but looks worse as it is.
Sat 10/02/01 at 00:58
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
No arguement in Shenmue being great ;-) I just love the way its going to be a continuous story. Everyone whos played it really wants to know what happens next. And a very rare thing - the main bad guy actually looks REALLY good :-) One thing i've noticed with lots of boss characters is they look really crap. M.Bison from Streetfighter looks like a blue oyster bar reject (that famous gay bar in police academy films).

Its very rare that you get bad guys with such an amazing presence to them. Sephiroth from FFVII had a similar thing about him and looked good too. But I think Shenmue takes the winning spot ;-)

As bad guys go, Nightmare is another awesome one, but he's not a last boss - Inferno is (Soul Caliber). Inferno is nice graphically, but he doesn't have that presence.

I think more companies should take time into making their final boss characters look powerful and give them that presence that is really lacking in most games.

Guess I shoulda put this under a new topic - oh well ;-)

Sat 10/02/01 at 01:15
Yep - I love the opening sequence in Shenmue - his robe looks so real, and he's actually got some character to him - great scar in his face too, oh and he can kill someone through one punch. Nice.
Sat 10/02/01 at 01:49
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Actually Sega did a great job recreating Chinese style moves in Shenmue - especially the opening sequence. I do Jeet Kune Do and that double palm strike is an early move i learned. I don't know about it killing someone to my knowledge but I would think its certainly possible if done hard enough. Its actually pretty surprising what you can do to someone if you hit them in the right place. How many people would have thought you can make someone soil themselves or throw up from kicking them in the leg ? ;-))

Sat 10/02/01 at 02:23
I don't even wanna know how...

But Shenmue - a game that is so graphically advanced - nothing can touch it and yet its so much more than a visual splendour, it's like a whole new life - a virtual pre planned life that will go the way the games designer made it, but its amazing...
Sat 10/02/01 at 02:37
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I know what you mean :-)

Its almost like an alternate life. You do things in the game that people do in everyday life. Its one of those rare games players are graced with. With all these games out, there are very few that have a real vision in their games. Its almost an insult to them that companies can just throw any old crap together and sell it for the same price as these rare masterpieces.

Don't worry - i'll keep my nasty fighting knowledge to myself ;-))

Sat 10/02/01 at 12:45
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
Ps2 is not so good because it has no new or innovitive games, whereas even the good old N64 has innovation even now (look at Zelda: Majoras Mask, and then cry, all you Sony fanboys).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.