GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Consoles need to be PCs"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 05/02/01 at 16:36
Regular
Can someone please tell me what all the big hoohaa is with consoles these days?

They are never as powerful as the PCs of their time and get outdated far too quickly to be of any practical use.

These days manufacturers say things like "Ooh, our next console will have a 10GB hard Drive" or "We will incorporate the GeForce T&L engine". WHY?? Why not just switch to producing PCs, instead of producing game machines that are made up of old PC parts?

The Playstation 2 is already inferior to many household computers, and by the time it is widely available, the majority of people with PCs will be able to look down on it.

I think it's time that manufacturers started to realise that consoles need to become more customisable, otherwise, their target audience will wake up to the fact that their money would be better spent on the latest PCs.

Insane Bartender
Wed 07/02/01 at 10:01
"Darkness, always"
I play with some people from my office online as well as some of my friends who are too far away to visit, and I am quite happy to humiliate them.

IB
Wed 07/02/01 at 10:08
Regular
"not dead"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> I have. Play ISS on PC with an emulator...

>That is, an N64 emulator,

Definitely the best version of the game.

I'm just too nice a person, and i refuse to emulate any system or game still available to buy.

I don't want developers going bankrupt, y'see.
Wed 07/02/01 at 10:12
"Darkness, always"
meka_dragon wrote:
I
> don't want developers going bankrupt, y'see.

I generally only emulate games that are already out of the charts, or on their way down.

I'm usually too busy with the latest PC games to bother with emulators anyway.

In order to end this discussion, I shall simply say:

Each to his own.

But I still think the future of consoles is that they will become less customisable versions of PCs. In about 4-5 years, you will feel the influence of one Mr. Bill Gates

-IB
Wed 07/02/01 at 14:29
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
er-no wrote:
> CONSOLES ARE BETTER than PC's BECAUSE bill GATES has
> Nothing 2 do with them.

What have you got against BIll Gates? :)
Wed 07/02/01 at 14:34
"Darkness, always"
er-no wrote:
> CONSOLES ARE BETTER than PC's BECAUSE bill GATES has Nothing 2 do
> with them.

Bill Gates is a genius who has made his fortune making other peoples' lives easier by giving them what they have asked for. You can hardly hold that against him.

I could quote from A Few Good Men here:

"I despise a man who lives under the very blanket of protection which I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you said thankyou, and went on your way."

Are you using Windows now?
If so, why?

Think about it, and you will understand why you have no need, and indeed, no right to hold against Bill Gates everything he has done to make the world a better place.

-IB
Wed 07/02/01 at 14:43
Regular
"not dead"
Bill Gates?

Never met him so I can't really comment. I don't know enough about him to hate him.

Consoles need to be PCs?

Why, PCs are PCs. We don't need something else pretending to be a PC.

My fridge doesn't need to be a freezer, I've got a separate freezer.
Wed 07/02/01 at 14:51
"Darkness, always"
meka_dragon wrote:

Consoles need to be PCs?

Why,
> PCs are PCs. We don't need something else pretending to be a
> PC.

With consoles in the pipeline that have hard drives, keyboards, mice, modems, and expansion slots, how can you deny that, even though you may not NEED a console that is in fact a PC, that is what you are going to get?

-IB
Wed 07/02/01 at 15:00
"High polygon count"
> Are you using Windows now? If so, why?

Because it is forced upon me due to the lack of viable alternatives. It is a slow, cumbersome, sprawling mess of an operating system, and a bugged one at that.

Other operating systems have been available, but sadly the business world is now so entrenched in the Windows mire that we are unlikely to see a major competitor in the near future.

I am hoping that the forthcoming AmigaDE can make some kind of impression on the market.
Wed 07/02/01 at 15:26
"Darkness, always"
Wòókiee Møn§†€R wrote:
> > Are you using Windows now? If so, why?

Because it is
> forced upon me due to the lack of viable alternatives. It is a
> slow, cumbersome, sprawling mess of an operating system, and a
> bugged one at that.

Is the lack of competition Bill Gates' fault? No, I think not.

How can Bill Gates be expected to take the blame for the fact that no-one else is good enough to come up with a viable alternative to his operating systems?

-IB
Wed 07/02/01 at 15:45
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Insane Bartender wrote:
>Is the lack of competition Bill Gates' fault?
> No, I think not.
Well... I think the courts of America would have to disagree with you... that whole monopoly crazy thing and everything :)

> How can Bill Gates be expected to take the blame
> for the fact that no-one else is good enough to come up
> with a viable alternative to his operating systems?

Okay.. I think Ol'Gatesy take more blame than hes due by and large... people seem to dislike him, for no real reason... Console owner who hate Gatees confuse me the most

However, I'm not going to pretend that Gate isnt guilty of more than a few dodgy moves.... His abuse of business power to destroy any competing companies one just one of those...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.