GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Consoles need to be PCs"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 05/02/01 at 16:36
Regular
Can someone please tell me what all the big hoohaa is with consoles these days?

They are never as powerful as the PCs of their time and get outdated far too quickly to be of any practical use.

These days manufacturers say things like "Ooh, our next console will have a 10GB hard Drive" or "We will incorporate the GeForce T&L engine". WHY?? Why not just switch to producing PCs, instead of producing game machines that are made up of old PC parts?

The Playstation 2 is already inferior to many household computers, and by the time it is widely available, the majority of people with PCs will be able to look down on it.

I think it's time that manufacturers started to realise that consoles need to become more customisable, otherwise, their target audience will wake up to the fact that their money would be better spent on the latest PCs.

Insane Bartender
Mon 05/02/01 at 17:48
Regular
It's not a common site to have friends come over from the pub, drunk, and play Wreastling on the N64 for hours.

It is quite an uncommon site to get drunk with friends, and then all go have a Civilisation 2 bash for hours.
Mon 05/02/01 at 19:48
Regular
"not dead"
I like my console to play games on, and my PC for the internet, work, and every now and then, a game or two.

I think consoles are more for social gaming.

I'd never invite friends over for a few beers and a PC gaming marathon, whereas Nintendo nights are quite common.
Mon 05/02/01 at 19:50
Regular
Round the TV rather than a small screen with four people!
Tue 06/02/01 at 10:18
"Darkness, always"
My PC games never crash, and every console I've ever had has always been problematic after more than 18 months...
Tue 06/02/01 at 10:41
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
I like the peace of mind that the games I buy for my Dreamcast or PlayStation 2 will work - with PC's, you don't have that guarantee. Not to mention that, I don't fancy spending ex amount of money each time a game comes out that requires more memory or a better video card either.

When it comes down to it, PC Gaming just doesn't appeal to me. Strategy-type sims like; Command & Conquer or Populous bore me to tears quite frankly.

It's often said that PC's will always be more powerful than the Consoles and that maybe the case. However, I haven't found one game on the PC that can hold my attention for a pro-longed period of time.

-S

Tue 06/02/01 at 12:24
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Non-Zero Possibility wrote:
> However, I haven't found one game on the PC that can hold
> my attention for a pro-longed period of time.

Really? ... Not Deus Ex? Half Life? Alice? Doom/Quake? UT? Monkey Island? Black & White? Diablo2? Giants? etc...

none of these titles interests you... evein in the sightest?

:)

Tue 06/02/01 at 13:05
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
I enjoyed Unreal and Q3A. But I don't play them for a pro-longed amount of time. I'm usually game for a quick 10-minute play.

-S

Tue 06/02/01 at 15:30
"Darkness, always"

>. However, I haven't found one game on the PC that can hold
> my attention for a pro-longed period of time.

-S

Interesting that almost every single console game is available one way or another on any PC..

-IB
Tue 06/02/01 at 17:21
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
I like innovation in my games - Nights, Samba etc. You won't find anything like that on a PC.

PC gaming just isn't for me

-S

Tue 06/02/01 at 18:08
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
I nearly didnt reply to this, because it seems Non-Zero is being picked on for having his own opinion...

However... sorry man, I'm not having a go honest!...

> I like innovation in my games - Nights, Samba etc. You
> won't find anything like that on a PC.

Id say the PC is the platform of choice for those looking for innovative titles... its one of the platforms strong points... honest...

>PC gaming just isn't for me
Thats fair enough... :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.