GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Consoles need to be PCs"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 05/02/01 at 16:36
Regular
Can someone please tell me what all the big hoohaa is with consoles these days?

They are never as powerful as the PCs of their time and get outdated far too quickly to be of any practical use.

These days manufacturers say things like "Ooh, our next console will have a 10GB hard Drive" or "We will incorporate the GeForce T&L engine". WHY?? Why not just switch to producing PCs, instead of producing game machines that are made up of old PC parts?

The Playstation 2 is already inferior to many household computers, and by the time it is widely available, the majority of people with PCs will be able to look down on it.

I think it's time that manufacturers started to realise that consoles need to become more customisable, otherwise, their target audience will wake up to the fact that their money would be better spent on the latest PCs.

Insane Bartender
Mon 05/02/01 at 16:36
"Darkness, always"
Can someone please tell me what all the big hoohaa is with consoles these days?

They are never as powerful as the PCs of their time and get outdated far too quickly to be of any practical use.

These days manufacturers say things like "Ooh, our next console will have a 10GB hard Drive" or "We will incorporate the GeForce T&L engine". WHY?? Why not just switch to producing PCs, instead of producing game machines that are made up of old PC parts?

The Playstation 2 is already inferior to many household computers, and by the time it is widely available, the majority of people with PCs will be able to look down on it.

I think it's time that manufacturers started to realise that consoles need to become more customisable, otherwise, their target audience will wake up to the fact that their money would be better spent on the latest PCs.

Insane Bartender
Mon 05/02/01 at 17:12
"High polygon count"
Why do consoles need to become PC's when we already have PC's?

The advantage of a console is that it's LACK of upgradability gives a standard platform for developers to work on, rather than the hybrid mish-mash that is a PC.

Price is also a factor; the latest graphics cards alone will cost you almost double the price of a PS2, and that's without the rest of the PC hardware to plug it into!
Mon 05/02/01 at 17:16
"Darkness, always"
But most users also end up in the trap of having to shell out on more and more expensive consoles, when you can just slowly upgrade a PC over time...

IB
Mon 05/02/01 at 17:17
Regular
WE don't need PC consoles!
Mon 05/02/01 at 17:21
"Darkness, always"
Then you are doomed to play sub-standard games at6 inflated prices...

IB
Mon 05/02/01 at 17:23
Regular
At least more games are better on a console because they are games based.
Mon 05/02/01 at 17:24
"High polygon count"
Personally, I'd rather spend £300 on a console that should last 3 to 5 years than shell out a minimum of £300 on a new graphics card every 8 to 12 months.
Mon 05/02/01 at 17:29
"High polygon count"
> Then you are doomed to play sub-standard games at6 inflated
> prices...

I'd consider console games to be far better quality than PC games. In five years of PS1 gaming, the machine crashed 3 time. My PS2 is yet to crash. PC games crash all the time, and often need patches to fix bugs due to inadequate testing.
Mon 05/02/01 at 17:41
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
... trying to stay out of this debate...

But...

People here always talk about their PC games crashing...

In the last 5 years I've only had 2-3 games crash on me whilst playing...

Is this unusal... do most people find that their PC games crash a lot?
Mon 05/02/01 at 17:42
Regular
And N64 alittle PC's lost count of it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.