GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Consoles need to be PCs"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 05/02/01 at 16:36
Regular
Can someone please tell me what all the big hoohaa is with consoles these days?

They are never as powerful as the PCs of their time and get outdated far too quickly to be of any practical use.

These days manufacturers say things like "Ooh, our next console will have a 10GB hard Drive" or "We will incorporate the GeForce T&L engine". WHY?? Why not just switch to producing PCs, instead of producing game machines that are made up of old PC parts?

The Playstation 2 is already inferior to many household computers, and by the time it is widely available, the majority of people with PCs will be able to look down on it.

I think it's time that manufacturers started to realise that consoles need to become more customisable, otherwise, their target audience will wake up to the fact that their money would be better spent on the latest PCs.

Insane Bartender
Tue 06/02/01 at 20:01
"My PC games never crash, and every console I've ever had has always been problematic after more than 18 months..."

Just the one Playstation then? Hardly a true opinion.
Tue 06/02/01 at 23:07
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
First, I must apologise it was wrong of me to judge that a PC doesn't have any innovative titles. I mean, titles like Diablo 2 pioneered for games such as Phantasy Star Online.

But, as I said earlier y'know? PC Gaming just doesn't seem to be my bag unfortuantely.

-S
Tue 06/02/01 at 23:17
Regular
"not dead"
Consoles need to be PCs about as much as my shoes need to be pineapples, and that isn't much.

I just can't really be bothered with the hassle of too much PC gaming. I don't have the time or money to be buying new graphics cards every couple of years!

Also when I buy a game, I want to be able to play it right away, not after installing it, re-installing it and downloading a patch.

The only games I really play on the PC are emulated classics.

Consoles were designed solely for playing games, that's why PCs will never be better than them in this respect.
Tue 06/02/01 at 23:23
Regular
"everyone says it"
Meka_dragon, I will send the money in the next 3 days!

Is that ok?
Tue 06/02/01 at 23:29
Regular
"not dead"
er-no wrote:
> Meka_dragon, I will send the money in the next 3 days!

Is that
> ok?

Sure, as soon as I get it, I can send out the game.

It's sitting on the shelf waiting!

Consoles are better than PCs for games.
Tue 06/02/01 at 23:43
Regular
"everyone says it"
CONSOLES ARE BETTER than PC's BECAUSE bill GATES has Nothing 2 do with them.
Wed 07/02/01 at 09:48
"Darkness, always"
Consoles are better for games than PCs.

Right, OK, how silly of me.

So the limited number of controlling options doesn't limit gameplay?

Think simulators, think the X-Wing and Tie Fighter games from Lucas Arts. Could they have been done even nearly as well on a console?? No. Never.

Think RTS games like Starcraft, C&C etc. Could they have been done as well on a console? No. Believe me, the playstation version of C&C, though entertaining isn't nearly as good, and Starcraft would be crap on a console, as you would lose most of the control ability available in the many, many shortcut keys.

Think RPG games like Baldurs Gate. Could that be done as well on a Playstation? No. A Playstation isn't designed to crunch the numbers such a game throws about. OK you have the likes of Final Fantasy VII, which is damned good, but hardly a complex game, and just as good on the PC if not better.

Think sport sims like Championship manager 3. As good on a console? No. No console exists with the processing power to run it.

Sure, consoles can come out with some good stuff, but anything they can do, a PC can do better.

Consoles better for multiplayer action?
Battle.net
Ultima online
Hundreds of players at once, in the case of Ultima, thousands at once.

I don't think I will ever see a console with thousands of controller ports, and even if I did, the only game you could possibly play would be an amoeba version of Smash TV where you could see nothing and just had to shoot randomly.

I'm not trying to batter anyones opinion here. Consoles are nice and cheap and easy to handle. Good for the kids. The men of this world have PCs. Hehehe...

IB
Wed 07/02/01 at 09:55
Regular
"not dead"
Sorry, but I don't agree with you. You're quite entitled to your opinion, but it's not one I share.

I suppose it comes down to the types of games you like to play. Personally I enjoy the simplicity of console gaming. I don't need to play games that require to much thought and planning, I'm too busy to play games that I'm not going to want to stop playing for hours!

Yes a PC may be better for a football management sim, but I've yet to see a PC football game to rival the likes of ISS in terms of gameplay.

Then again, I've grown up playing consoles, it's what I like, and what I'm used to.
Wed 07/02/01 at 09:58
Regular
"not dead"
And in terms of multiplayer action, I just think it's more fun to play with friends in the same room, than against people I don't know on the other end of a modem.

Where's the fun in humiliating someone if you can't see their gutted face, as they break and the tears start to flow....
Wed 07/02/01 at 10:00
"Darkness, always"
I have. Play ISS on PC with an emulator...

That is, an N64 emulator, since that is the better version of the game. The Playstation lacks something I think...

IB

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.