GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Answer these Matrix questions for me !"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 22/05/03 at 12:35
Regular
decided to watch the matrix last night on tv since the first time i watched it i turned it off half way through becasue its a load of cr*p but i watched it through last night and noted some things maybe u could answer these for me.

1) the morpheus guy says "what is real" then he says that the robots using people as batterys is real so how does he know its real ?

2) they say that you can die because your mind makes it real wtf they on if you was in a virtual reality machine even one that advanced theres no way ur mind could make the injurys in the game real.

3) they use a phone whilst there in the matrix to phone that bloke in the real world how can they phone the real world on a phone that does'nt exist ?

4)Why would Machines that advanced bother for ever using people as batterys why not just get the power from the sun again other wise there existance would only to reproduce people to keep themselves working which isn't really worth it.

5)Why Bother going in a computer game to fight people you cannot beat why not stay in the real world to destroy the robots and restart the human race?.
Thu 22/05/03 at 14:07
Regular
"Omnipresent"
Aaahhhhh, all is clear. One of the best films for looking at in detail is Psycho. Good film.
Thu 22/05/03 at 14:06
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
The hollow book he keeps the disc in is by a guy called Baudrillard, a French(?) philosopher.
The book is all about simulation and reality in life - what is real? etc

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/ (SPACE) obidos/ASIN/0472065211/qid=1053608154/sr=1-1/ (SPACE) ref=sr_1_3_1/026-1325218-3122042

--

A nice little touch to suggest that Neo is already aware of The Matrix or at least aware that something isn't quite right.
Morpheus says something about he's always been aware "Like a splinter in your mind".

A dawning realisation that life isn't what it looks like. He seems charmed though, keeps arriving late at work yet just gets warnings about being fired etc, bending the mirror before it climbs his arm and into his mouth.
Which is why he doesn't die when he hits the floor during the jump program, like you said it's an automatic safety-switch he hasn't learned to control.

The dojo, Morpheus isn't teaching him kung-fu, he's getting him to fulfill his potential "you're faster than this" etc.
The Matrix is about his journey to realisation that he's always been special, always been The One - just didn't realise it. Morpheus did, otherwise why pull him out from the millions of people inside?

Excellent film, be it surface-level entertainment or slightly deeper puzzles and clues along the way.
Thu 22/05/03 at 13:55
Regular
"Omnipresent"
Goatboy wrote:
> There's loads of little bits that I didn't really get until I watched
> the "Revisited" DVD.
> The book that Neo keeps the disc in he gives to that ginger dude at
> the start of The Matrix? "Simulation and Simulacra" - a book
> all about the notion of reality and awareness. Neo had that book
> suggesting it was all not real but didnt pick up on the connotations
> etc etc.
>
> Sure it's just an action film, but if you read up and find out all the
> little esoteric bits of info - there's a whole other film waiting to
> be seen.
> Which is why I chuckle when people complain about the plot of Reloaded
> being weak.
> It's not, they're just not picking up on the ideas and little hints.
> Stuff like Neo bending the mirror and the glance, the hollowed book,
> Alice in Wonderland references (the book was about an alternate
> universe but was only a dream)
>
> The Matrix is superb whether you want a mindless chop-socky flick or
> want to pay attention to the tiniest little details and hints.

Media Studies teaches you all this stuff, too. Never looked at The Matrix in anything other than a superficial light, though, I got dazed. It also has Christian connotations, Neo being Jesus (don't ask me, I've forgotten all the reasons - resurrection, red pill, etc). Gonna read that first paragraph you wrote about the book, I don't understand it yet:)
Thu 22/05/03 at 13:48
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
locky1133 wrote:
> Like an auto-trigger that prevents harm. Non-arbitrary at the start.
---

Exactly.
Thu 22/05/03 at 13:47
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
There's loads of little bits that I didn't really get until I watched the "Revisited" DVD.
The book that Neo keeps the disc in he gives to that ginger dude at the start of The Matrix? "Simulation and Simulacra" - a book all about the notion of reality and awareness. Neo had that book suggesting it was all not real but didnt pick up on the connotations etc etc.

Sure it's just an action film, but if you read up and find out all the little esoteric bits of info - there's a whole other film waiting to be seen.
Which is why I chuckle when people complain about the plot of Reloaded being weak.
It's not, they're just not picking up on the ideas and little hints.
Stuff like Neo bending the mirror and the glance, the hollowed book, Alice in Wonderland references (the book was about an alternate universe but was only a dream)

The Matrix is superb whether you want a mindless chop-socky flick or want to pay attention to the tiniest little details and hints.
Thu 22/05/03 at 13:43
Regular
"Omnipresent"
Like an auto-trigger that prevents harm. Non-arbitrary at the start.
Thu 22/05/03 at 13:42
Regular
"Omnipresent"
Goatboy wrote:
> Because although he didn't believe it, he was The One.
> Same way he bent/warped the mirror before he even knew what The Matrix
> was - Trinity looks at Morpheus in disbelief.
> An unconcious ability to change The Matrix at will, without even being
> aware of it.

I see...
Thu 22/05/03 at 13:42
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Because although he didn't believe it, he was The One.
Same way he bent/warped the mirror before he even knew what The Matrix was - Trinity looks at Morpheus in disbelief.
An unconcious ability to change The Matrix at will, without even being aware of it.
Thu 22/05/03 at 13:38
Regular
"Omnipresent"
One question. When Neo jumps from that bulding and falls because he didn't BELIEVE he could do it, how did he survive? If he didn't believe, wouldn't the fall have killed him? And if it was just a simulation, why did the impact with the ground (the second time) make him bleed?
Thu 22/05/03 at 13:36
Regular
"Omnipresent"
Some good questions. I watched the film again last week and noticed several holes in the plot (but missed some of the points raised here). I wouldn't say The Matrix is a bad film, I'd just say that because people don't understand it, they say it's good. I'm confused.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.