GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I hate my family"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 22/04/03 at 18:12
Regular
I seriously hate my family so so much. Granted they give me a roof over my head and feed me but I am a scapegoat for anything that goes wrong, despite the fact I say and do as little as possible towards them to avoid any kind of conflict. I will go days on end without talking to them and try and go unnoticed but they will find some reason to yell at me or to blame me for something I havent done. My dad has tried to throw me out of the house on several occasions and my mum has done nothing but back him up. I do nothing to them at all, I only see them when I have to (ie. meal times and when I am going out/getting in) I don't do anything bad or nasty and dont even speak to them unless I have to. I don't know what I have done to make them hate me but I cannot think of anything. I have been told I was an accident and that they wished they hadn't had me, despite the fact my younger sister is a little angel who is a symbol of uttermost perfection. I am in a predicament, I don't know if I should run away or something but I don't think I can take the crap they keep throwing at me.

Any advice, please?
Fri 25/04/03 at 14:48
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Im gonna be doing my GCSEs soon, and like many people... crapping myself hoping im not gonna fail. I want to succeed. I want to do well and go into 6th Form.

So, if I get into 6th form and then get some A-Levels, what will an employer look at?
Fri 25/04/03 at 14:44
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
That's why my degree will involve a placement.

Makes you far more attractive to an employer than a kid with no GCSEs...
Fri 25/04/03 at 14:43
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Please tell me that's true.
Fri 25/04/03 at 14:41
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
GCSE's are worthless the instant they start looking at A-levels, A-levels are nearly worthless the instant they start looking at degrees.

All of the above are worthless the instant they start saying "3-years industry experience required".

A college course with work placement can frequently beat many things simply because though you may not be the most factually/scientifically knowledgable person, they know you have the practical experience and are capable of doing the job. Too many people come out of Uni with a degree but no idea of how to apply it to anything.
Fri 25/04/03 at 14:37
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Sure, you can get jobs with no qualifications but you'll find that many jobs require qualifications if you want a job that gives a decent rate of pay...

Google.com Jobs:

Account Executive
Position based in London, UK.

Google UK is looking for a highly dynamic and proficient individual with tremendous sales and people skills. If you're looking for a high-adrenaline sales adventure, Google is the place for you! The ideal candidate has a proven record in developing solid clients and will be responsible for new business and converting incoming leads to revenue within the defined sales region -- providing a strong level of support for the Key Account Managers and the revenue opportunities that are delegated. Responsibilities also include reaching the target revenue goals in the defined region. This position is expected to be a professional, reliable, team oriented member of the regional team and the national sales team. We're looking for an energetic self-starter who is pro-active in driving revenue, increasing client base, and selling for Google. You must be results-driven and committed to creating new business opportunities in a tight market.

Requirements:

BA Hons degree or equivalent.
Minimum 3 years sales experience.
Solid telesales/media background.
Strong knowledge of the Search industry and Advertising Sales.

-

Could you get that job?

No.

Could a graduate get the job?

Yes.

You want a decently paid job, you need a degree otherwise you'll have to be very lucky or just work for minimum wage for the rest of your life.

Oh, and if you were to apply to MacDonalds you'd start off serving. A graduate would be able to apply towards the top end of the jobs, ie Manager.
Fri 25/04/03 at 14:33
Regular
Fact of the matter is you will be 20 or 21 when you leave college, we will be the same age when we leave uni. There fore we will be more qualified than you when we both leave education, you don't have proper experience either! But we have more grades, who is going to get picked in that situation?
Fri 25/04/03 at 13:23
Regular
"That's right!"
OK, first, you don't know what you're talking about. You don't know the facts. Fact 1, I didn't get enough grades to do A levels, yet they let me in anyway because I knew I could clearly do them. Fact 2, spent two years at 6th form without working and got 2 A levels. That sort of shows how cheap they are nowadays. I didn't deserve the As and Bs I got in my exams, it shows how stupidly easy they are. Fact 3, am now on a media course, something which interests me, and after two years when I get the grade it is the equivilant of 3 A levels. Yes, I wasted my time by going to 6th form instead of going straight to college, but back after my GCSEs I didn't know what I wanted, like a lot of people. I've always, ALWAYS said don't be like me. I wasted my time, I knocked off so much, for no real reasons most of the time, and failed a lot of my GCSEs.

What I said earlier about uni is true. If you're going there with a specific goal, like doing stuff that goes towards a specific job, then fine, you're at university for the right reasons. The other 70-80% of people there are not, and are wasting their time. They're under pressure from schools, parents and the government to go to university. They're told a degree will get them places, get them high paid jobs. Bull. Absolute bull. Unless your degree is specific to what you're going in to, it won't help much. Somebody without a degree but with experience is going to get the job over you any day.

My dad worked with people, trying to find them employment. That was his job. And he saw it every day for years - people with degrees but no hope of getting the jobs they're after. I'm not just saying "Oh, university is pointless for a lot of people" for the fun of it. I may yet choose to go to uni, later in life, but only when I've thought everything through properly. I mean, you choose your university and subjects before you even get your A level grades. A lot can change from then till the day you get your results, I know it did for me and a lot of people I know. I didn't want to go to uni, get in debt, then find out I was on the wrong course, or that I didn't have the heart for it.

I'm not "in denial" or any crap like that, I'm fully aware of what happened to me. Which is exactly why I'm warning other people that university isn't the be all and end all of life. Make up your own minds, don't believe the government hype.
Thu 24/04/03 at 23:25
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Yup, I know people who got good jobs with hardly any GCSEs but then they're sitting there with graduates jumping straight above him into higher paid jobs.

Plus, if he ever becomes unemployed later on in life, he's gonna have nothing to help him get a job. They'd rather employ a student with the education than someone who lost their job and has no qualifications.

Plus, many companies won't employ you unless you have a degree. One of my parents friends works for Cornhill and he won't employ anybody into his department unless they have a 1st.

You're talking about doubling your wages with a degree.
Thu 24/04/03 at 23:19
Regular
sorry mojojojo i am going to have to be brutaly honest with you here, as what you are sying is complete nonsense.

You are clearly the one who is wasting parts of their life. If a kid goes to uni with decent grades and achieves a degree which maynot be the best one in the world, they are still in a better position than you. You have pretty low GCSEs have wasted a year and are now at a sixth form college where you have pretty much said you do nothing. They are going to leave Uni with a degree, a good set of alevels and good GCSEs. You do not have any of the above and have wasted 12 years at school, one interim year and two years at college were your goal has been stipulated as not to achieve "worthless" qualifications. That lives you with very little more in terms of qualifications than the day you were born, we on the other hand have at least achieved something. You mock worthless degrees for instants maybe you would class history, geography, classics amongst these less career orientated degrees but in the end you are doing film studies at a sixth form college, and i can't see that being to career orientated!

You find it easy to mock the acheivements of those who have made the effort, as it is a form of denial, i suggest you improve your attendance, get the grades and try to make an effort to at least leave your college with good grades, if you don't intend to do further education thats your choice but i suggest you get the grades to give you an advantages in the future in your chosen field. If you have't got the drive to do the basic ground work for you media dreams, how do you expect to suceed in your chosen field, they don't just give top director jobs because you might feel like doing it? I wish you all the best for the future and hope you make your dream of becoming a top director but don't mock those who are making an effort to secure themselves a pratical future through degree courses just because you haven't achieved the grades or lack the motivation to do so.
Thu 24/04/03 at 17:16
Regular
"Hallelujah"
Stay with it, wait a few years get a job an sod off outa the family, you wont have to see them and you'll be incharge of your life. All you got to do is put up with it for a couple more years. Good luck

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.