GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A writer's website with competitions"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 17/04/03 at 09:55
Regular
Hey folks, just had an idea, wondered if there would be any level of interest.

I'm thinking of starting a new website featuring short stories and other such creative things.

Would anyone like to contribute to this for a small fee, if there was the chance of winning prizes?

Many writing competitions charge a few pounds to raise the prize money, so it would be something like a maximum of 100 entries, £3 each, 1st prize of £100, runners up prizes of £50, 2*£25, 5*£10. Or something.

Numerous contests every month, perhaps with different themes, and word limits. For instance, a very short story contest, entry just £1, but smaller prize. Writing to a specific theme too.

It wouldn't just be stories though, the kinds of things that many of us frequently write on this site, comical guides, fake news, serious topics.

So, who is interested, and who would honestly part with a little cash for the chance to win more?
Thu 17/04/03 at 22:59
Regular
"I like cheese"
Keep me updated, I'm interested. {:)
Fri 18/04/03 at 20:10
Regular
I'm interested.

But i'm more of a poet, then any other type of creative writing.

Can poems be submitted?
Fri 18/04/03 at 22:24
Regular
"keep your receipt"
This is a good idea. I'm very willing to help if it takes off. Even more willing to enter. And win : P
Sat 19/04/03 at 10:52
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
gamezfreak wrote:
> Can poems be submitted?

Not in a short story competition. If you actually READ THE POST, however, you'd see there'd be different formats you'd need to write in (newspaper article, story) which could probably include a poem at some point.
Sat 19/04/03 at 15:52
Regular
"keep your receipt"
But Meka, would you be running the site for a profit or would all the entry be a prize? I'm not fussed either way, just wondering.
Sat 19/04/03 at 17:35
Regular
"not dead"
I'd allow myself a small profit, given that it would take an age to judge any compos.

Basically, any money I earnt from it would be poured back into my writing, so I could get fees to enter other contests, things like that.

I'd have roughly 95% as prize money, I think. Depends if I get to a state in which I want to pay somebody else to judge. Also, I'd like to do free entry contests, these would be funded by profits in pay competition.

Thanks for all of the comments so far, it's good to see people would be interested. Hopefully I'l have the dummy site to show in May.
Sat 19/04/03 at 18:21
"slightlyshortertagl"
Cool.

t'is a good idea Meka. But I won't be able to enter for one simple reason; I'm crap at writing.

Anyway, I'd love to judge/help out if needed. Drop me an email [email protected]
Sun 20/04/03 at 08:39
Regular
"not dead"
Just had a thought on payment.

As making regular tiny payments could be ia pain for some people it could work on a 'credits' system.

You purchase a larger number of credits, say £5 worth at a time, then use these to enter competitions.

That way there could also be bonus credits awarded, though top prizes would still be cash.

Hmmm, lots of ideas.
Sun 20/04/03 at 17:04
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
You know I'd be interested Meka.
Mon 21/04/03 at 11:41
Regular
"thegodfather"
Very interested in short story writing,a couple of quid a month is no problem,or whatever.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.