GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A writer's website with competitions"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 17/04/03 at 09:55
Regular
Hey folks, just had an idea, wondered if there would be any level of interest.

I'm thinking of starting a new website featuring short stories and other such creative things.

Would anyone like to contribute to this for a small fee, if there was the chance of winning prizes?

Many writing competitions charge a few pounds to raise the prize money, so it would be something like a maximum of 100 entries, £3 each, 1st prize of £100, runners up prizes of £50, 2*£25, 5*£10. Or something.

Numerous contests every month, perhaps with different themes, and word limits. For instance, a very short story contest, entry just £1, but smaller prize. Writing to a specific theme too.

It wouldn't just be stories though, the kinds of things that many of us frequently write on this site, comical guides, fake news, serious topics.

So, who is interested, and who would honestly part with a little cash for the chance to win more?
Thu 17/04/03 at 12:53
Regular
"not dead"
Sibs wrote:

>
> If all entries are E-mailed, surely you could put them all up on the
> site along with the writers E-mail address so they can get
> feedback...

This is true. Have links to them all on one page, and the winners highlighted on a separate page.

I'll draw up some plans, get a dummy site up, and maybe run a short competition, to see how it goes.

Maybe May.
Thu 17/04/03 at 13:12
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
What about paying to enter Meka, *See question below*
Thu 17/04/03 at 13:14
Regular
"not dead"
Well as it's only going to be a few pounds, I don't see any problem with coins taped to a piece of card. This stops them making holes in the corner, and dropping out into postie fingers.
Thu 17/04/03 at 13:21
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Yup, I think it's a great idea.
Thu 17/04/03 at 15:17
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
Okay I've considered

Full time job
Part time student
Housework (approx. 1/2 per week)
Social life (not enough)

and I would probably give it a go. I've been trying to figure out how you would do this, without success I might add.

So, who would do the judging?

100 entries at max 1.000 words is 100.000 words in total that's a hell of a lot of reading to get through. Isn't it gonna be time consuming on your own.

I think the idea of setting up a small test site is a good idea. It would give you feedback (just from this site?) and may help you realise the work that would be involved from your side.

How about doing a very small demo / dummy run with little or no prize. If you posted up everything anonymously could we vote for our choice of winner?

Going to stop rambling now and go do some work.
Thu 17/04/03 at 15:25
Regular
"QPR 1974"
I'd be definately interested.

DEFINATELY.
Thu 17/04/03 at 16:10
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
I'm game. When does it start?
Thu 17/04/03 at 16:45
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
El Sfone wrote:
> I'd be definately interested.
>
> DEFINATELY.

And I'm sure you'll do very well...

*sniggers*
Thu 17/04/03 at 16:51
Regular
"QPR 1974"
El Blokey wrote:
> El Sfone wrote:
>
> DEFINATELY.
>
> And I'm sure I am a nob...
>
> *sniggers*
Thu 17/04/03 at 17:06
Regular
El Sfone wrote:
>
> DEFINATELY.

Either that was a bad joke or you have a bad chance of winning.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.