GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A writer's website with competitions"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 17/04/03 at 09:55
Regular
Hey folks, just had an idea, wondered if there would be any level of interest.

I'm thinking of starting a new website featuring short stories and other such creative things.

Would anyone like to contribute to this for a small fee, if there was the chance of winning prizes?

Many writing competitions charge a few pounds to raise the prize money, so it would be something like a maximum of 100 entries, £3 each, 1st prize of £100, runners up prizes of £50, 2*£25, 5*£10. Or something.

Numerous contests every month, perhaps with different themes, and word limits. For instance, a very short story contest, entry just £1, but smaller prize. Writing to a specific theme too.

It wouldn't just be stories though, the kinds of things that many of us frequently write on this site, comical guides, fake news, serious topics.

So, who is interested, and who would honestly part with a little cash for the chance to win more?
Thu 17/04/03 at 11:08
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> or look at my website (plug: http://www.geocities.com/gazrip/ib/)

Heh, I like the fact that the 'You Lot' section is titled 'Other Stuff of Little Significance'...
Thu 17/04/03 at 11:30
Regular
"sweats salad dressi"
Personally I think this a great idea but because I live so far I am pretty sure some problems will come up.

What do you think Meka?
Thu 17/04/03 at 11:43
Regular
"not dead"
Drunk Cow wrote:
> Personally I think this a great idea but because I live so far I am
> pretty sure some problems will come up.
>
> What do you think Meka?

I doubt it would be a problem if you could use a payment method like Paypal or similar. Any entries could be emailed.

If I went to print with a collection of the stories then there would probably be an additional fee for international shipping if you wanted it. But I don't see any problems that cannot be resolved.

I think I could do with writing some of this down.
Thu 17/04/03 at 11:51
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
I would try and enter, sounds like a very good way to get experience of writing and at the same time have motivation to do so.

If you do get it off the ground, I'll go look ([email protected])

Like the sound of it, and the fee doesn't seem to bad either.
Thu 17/04/03 at 12:00
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Would feedback be offered?
Thu 17/04/03 at 12:28
Regular
"not dead"
El Blokey wrote:
> Would feedback be offered?

Maybe, but that would be time consuming, and I'm hardly an expert when it comes to writing.

Perhaps for a small fee....

It depends what kind of interest there is.
Thu 17/04/03 at 12:44
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
Certainly I would be interested a great deal! Got my GCSEs soon so I wont be writing AS much but in about 2 months I am free forever more.

Its a good idea I recon, and should pull in a lot of interest over the world. If and when it is done I'll put a banner on my 'good' website, which gets about 50-100 hits per day, should pull some more people in.

The thing I want to question is payments - will you need to use credit card or will cash be suitable?
Thu 17/04/03 at 12:49
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Meka Dragon wrote:
> El Blokey wrote:
> Would feedback be offered?
>
> Maybe, but that would be time consuming, and I'm hardly an expert when
> it comes to writing.

If all entries are E-mailed, surely you could put them all up on the site along with the writers E-mail address so they can get feedback...
Failing that, you could say once a competition is over people can post their writing on SR... then they can get some feedback via the forums here.
Thu 17/04/03 at 12:49
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Couldn't you just write a cheque from your own account/ask a friend/family member to do it and pay them the money? That's probably the safest way if you don't use PayPal.
Thu 17/04/03 at 12:50
Regular
I'd be up for it. But not for a few weeks as I've got my finals coming up.

Once we're into summer and everything is out the way, I'd give it a go. Just let me know the details :-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.