GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A writer's website with competitions"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 17/04/03 at 09:55
Regular
Hey folks, just had an idea, wondered if there would be any level of interest.

I'm thinking of starting a new website featuring short stories and other such creative things.

Would anyone like to contribute to this for a small fee, if there was the chance of winning prizes?

Many writing competitions charge a few pounds to raise the prize money, so it would be something like a maximum of 100 entries, £3 each, 1st prize of £100, runners up prizes of £50, 2*£25, 5*£10. Or something.

Numerous contests every month, perhaps with different themes, and word limits. For instance, a very short story contest, entry just £1, but smaller prize. Writing to a specific theme too.

It wouldn't just be stories though, the kinds of things that many of us frequently write on this site, comical guides, fake news, serious topics.

So, who is interested, and who would honestly part with a little cash for the chance to win more?
Thu 17/04/03 at 09:55
Regular
"not dead"
Hey folks, just had an idea, wondered if there would be any level of interest.

I'm thinking of starting a new website featuring short stories and other such creative things.

Would anyone like to contribute to this for a small fee, if there was the chance of winning prizes?

Many writing competitions charge a few pounds to raise the prize money, so it would be something like a maximum of 100 entries, £3 each, 1st prize of £100, runners up prizes of £50, 2*£25, 5*£10. Or something.

Numerous contests every month, perhaps with different themes, and word limits. For instance, a very short story contest, entry just £1, but smaller prize. Writing to a specific theme too.

It wouldn't just be stories though, the kinds of things that many of us frequently write on this site, comical guides, fake news, serious topics.

So, who is interested, and who would honestly part with a little cash for the chance to win more?
Thu 17/04/03 at 10:02
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
I *might* be interested, but being shallow it would depend on the amount and size of the prizes on offer. But look at the success of other sites, I'm sure it would work.
Thu 17/04/03 at 10:15
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
I'm not sure. I've not done any writing for years except for the few pieces I've written for here and I've never entered into any compos. Don't know if I could do it to a 'topic' but I might give it a try. I'll have to think about it and get back to you.
Thu 17/04/03 at 10:32
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
I honestly probably wouldn't bother. I might do if I had more time on my hands, but in the forseeable future there are exams to be revising for and taken, summer jobs to be getting and all that kind of stuff. However, I reckon a fair few people on these forums would be up for it. But how are you going to pick prizes...? Surely the person who's choosing prizes would have to be quite independant (ie. not too chummy with the posters) to ensure no-one decides that the judging hasn't been fair. And whoever's judging would have to read every story... Could be very time consuming.

Oh, and how would people pay...? I'd say PayPal would be a good option, but some people on this site won't be able to use that...
Thu 17/04/03 at 10:36
Regular
"not dead"
Good questions.

Prizes will be cash. Everyone likes cash.

I'd limit the number of entries to the site so there wasn't too much to judge.

You'd have to register on the site, then send the entry fee with your entry.

Paypal I could set up on a site, or send a cheque. Heck, you could even celotape a few pound coins to a piece of card and send it.

I'd find ways around these things, just wondering if the interest is out there.

Perhaps I'll make up a dummy site, and try running a comp, to see if it takes off?
Thu 17/04/03 at 10:41
"Darkness, always"
Meka, quite clearly I'll be interested. Talk to me on MSN ([email protected]) or e-mail me ([email protected])

or look at my website (plug: http://www.geocities.com/gazrip/ib/)

Laters,
IB
Thu 17/04/03 at 10:45
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
I assume when you say send the cash with the entry you mean send cash/cheque at the same time as you E-mail your entry...?

Entries on paper would mean you'd be typing the entry up for the site... I assume all entries will be available for others to read?
Thu 17/04/03 at 10:52
Regular
I'd be interested, paying a couple a pounds is nothing, really.

If enough people are interested, just one story per-member would probably work.
Thu 17/04/03 at 10:58
Regular
"not dead"
I'd probably only make the winners and runners up available to read, though another competition (with less entries) could be voted upon by those that had entered. Worth considering.

This is still in the 'brain-egg' stages at the moment, but the idea has potential, I believe.

It's just that there are so many decent writers that use this site, it would be good to give them a chance to enter it into a competition that isn't quite on the same large scale as some of the larger websites.

So many ideas, too much time to spend at work to make it difficult for me to do it!

IB, as I'm at work I can't MSN you, and I'm away next week, but I'll add you to my contacts. I'll drop you an email when I have a bit of a clearer idea of what I want to do.
Thu 17/04/03 at 11:00
Regular
Insane Bartender wrote:
> Meka, quite clearly I'll be interested. Talk to me on MSN
> ([email protected])

Oh my god.... I have always thought IB had an amusing Email address. I had been reading it: Annoying Internet Trouting , I thought it was completely Random but pretty funny and, well if he likes fishing thats his choice. In a moment of non stupidity i just realised the truth.......

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.