GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A writer's website with competitions"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 17/04/03 at 09:55
Regular
Hey folks, just had an idea, wondered if there would be any level of interest.

I'm thinking of starting a new website featuring short stories and other such creative things.

Would anyone like to contribute to this for a small fee, if there was the chance of winning prizes?

Many writing competitions charge a few pounds to raise the prize money, so it would be something like a maximum of 100 entries, £3 each, 1st prize of £100, runners up prizes of £50, 2*£25, 5*£10. Or something.

Numerous contests every month, perhaps with different themes, and word limits. For instance, a very short story contest, entry just £1, but smaller prize. Writing to a specific theme too.

It wouldn't just be stories though, the kinds of things that many of us frequently write on this site, comical guides, fake news, serious topics.

So, who is interested, and who would honestly part with a little cash for the chance to win more?
Sun 27/04/03 at 10:45
Regular
"\\"
Eh? We're paying more if we write more... thats just not on :D...

I'm up for it... Just how do we pay?
Sat 26/04/03 at 22:33
Regular
"not dead"
http://www.when-consoles-attack.co.uk/comps.html

A sneak peek at the other competitions page.

There's also a little something on the links page, but it's hardly been started.

Front page is nothing much yet.

More done soon though.
Sat 26/04/03 at 14:45
Regular
"not dead"
More questions!

There would certainly be different entry fees for the different lengths of story. But also, the bigger the entry fee, the bigger the prize.

I also plan to have a competition in which the prize fund is spread quite widely, say the fund is £250. Rather than a top prize, 3 of £50 and 5 of £20. Then 'The Big One' with just one winner, taking the whole £250.

Theme wise, some competitions would be completely open. A story of less than 2500 words, for example. Then there would be loose themes, a tale with a twist, a funny story, then more specific ones, a story with a theme of weather, or something.

The first, free entry contest will have a limit on the number of entrants, a number of small prizes of free entry into other contests, and it will be themed, with a word count probably less than 1800 words.

More info when I've decided upon it!
Sat 26/04/03 at 14:26
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
Will it be 'set topic' writing, or loosely themed stuff?
Sat 26/04/03 at 14:21
Regular
"Hmmm....."
How about having various entry fees for the different types of writing.

Say a small poem would cost a smaller entry fee than a bigger writing story, which would take more time, I think. Unless people take ages on small poems. That way the small poems would be cheap to enter with a smaller prize and the bigger story comps would be a little more to enter but have a bigger prize. If you know what I mean.

Just a thought.

;o)
Sat 26/04/03 at 14:15
Regular
"not dead"
I've been away for a few days, so have done no physical work on it, but I pretty much know how it's going to work now.

I'm going to run a free contest, the winner of which shall get credits to enter the future pay contests for free.

that way I can have a competition with a small prize worth a few quid, without having to have to deal with cash right away.

Next step is to make up the dummy site. But I have a theme for the first competition already. I think I'll have it close at the end of May, or mid-June, depending upon when I get the dummy site up.
Thu 24/04/03 at 18:44
"Darkness, always"
I'd like to mention to any and all interested in writing and competitions and such that I am a member of a certain... writer's community and have access to details pertaining to a number of writing competitions, as well as legitimate writing opportunities, including script writing for the BBC.

If anyone would be interested in receiving the odd update, or even joining in on a few comps, let me know via e-mail:

[email protected]

Oh and Meka, getting anywhere with this current project?
Mon 21/04/03 at 11:41
Regular
"thegodfather"
Very interested in short story writing,a couple of quid a month is no problem,or whatever.
Sun 20/04/03 at 17:04
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
You know I'd be interested Meka.
Sun 20/04/03 at 08:39
Regular
"not dead"
Just had a thought on payment.

As making regular tiny payments could be ia pain for some people it could work on a 'credits' system.

You purchase a larger number of credits, say £5 worth at a time, then use these to enter competitions.

That way there could also be bonus credits awarded, though top prizes would still be cash.

Hmmm, lots of ideas.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.