GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"POWs held without charge, 2 murdered."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 12/03/03 at 09:19
Regular
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/2842093.stm

----

Men held at Camp X-Ray, an American base since 2001.
Their lawyers demand they be charged, as they have been held without any claims made against them for over a year now.
America's response?
"It's not US soil, they're not covered by our Constitution"

This is the base where 2 "prisoners" died from "blunt force trauma" and the Medical Examiner ruled they had been beaten to death by US interrogators.

But hey, those weapons of mass destruction eh?
Wed 12/03/03 at 09:19
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/2842093.stm

----

Men held at Camp X-Ray, an American base since 2001.
Their lawyers demand they be charged, as they have been held without any claims made against them for over a year now.
America's response?
"It's not US soil, they're not covered by our Constitution"

This is the base where 2 "prisoners" died from "blunt force trauma" and the Medical Examiner ruled they had been beaten to death by US interrogators.

But hey, those weapons of mass destruction eh?
Wed 12/03/03 at 09:43
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Obviously it's not right to hold so many without charge, may not be US soil but it's an example of something that isn't needed being done and causing more bad imagery for America. By now they must know who the major captives are, and who are just the foot soldiers and innocents. Send those guys back to Afghanistan, get the major people into the US, let them challenge it, and watch the outcome.

Even if they end up being released the CIA and everyone else can watch them basically 24/7.

The only thing I noticed was that those challenging this were Kuwaiti's, Uk and I think, Australian ? What about the other 584 odd people ? Seems a bit like people trying to play the "were from places you think are civilised" card...though not sure if Kuwait comes under that heading.

This whole thing is a case of how far we go to stop terrorism, and when exactly do we go to far. If anyone is watching series 2 of 24 on BBC2/3 then that's got a similar dilemma in it. How far is too far ?

Better go do something productive now :)
Wed 12/03/03 at 09:50
"Darkness, always"
128 people are sexually assaulted in the UK every day.
2018 people are physically assaulted in the UK EVERY DAY
2727 burglaries are committed every day in the UK
986 cases of fraud or forgery are recorded every day in the UK.
376 drug offences are recorded EVERY DAY in the UK.

But yeah, a couple of people getting killed of in an aggressive and disagreeable US hold is far more important than any of these issues.
Wed 12/03/03 at 09:58
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
The point is, IB, given the current climate of anti-terrorist rhetoric from the USA and their claims of wishing to see an end to "barbarism and thuggery" and "racial hatred fed by fear and misunderstanding" - to hold, beat and murder people without charge and deny them any rights using a spurious notion of non-USA soil is hypocritical, murderous and flagrantly violating the very issues and moral standings they are trying to get us to swallow for bombing Iraq.

And, as before, if you feel so strongly about your stats - get off your chair and do something about it.
Campaign, post info, try and raise awareness.
Wed 12/03/03 at 10:04
"Darkness, always"
I don't feel strongly about it, but as someone who was screaming about british politics yesterday, perhaps you should.

Certainly, it's more likely to effect you than American hypocrisy, which is, let's face it, nothing new.

Politics is, after all synonymous with hypocrisy, corruption and lies. It has been since the dawn of time.
Wed 12/03/03 at 10:16
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I have been campaiging since I left school for various UK groups that try to combat homelessness, racism and issues that I don't agree with.
From being beaten in the May Day protests 2 years ago by baton-wielding policemen to combatting the BNP in by-elections.

I do what I can when I can to try and raise awareness of issues that I feel need discussing. And it's not restricted to UK issues. When the French Secret Service sunk The Rainbow Warrior, even as a kid, I marched and arranged petitions, when the Muraroah Atoll was being bombed in nuclear testing I was in Paris demonstrating.
I've attended so many anti-nazi league demos I've lost count as well as a number of other things I don't wish to discuss.

I do everything I can to change my environment for the better. And the easiest way whilst at work is to post here and on several other boards about issues that do affect you and I.
If I notice a news story or have feelings on something that I think is wrong, then I try to bring it to people's attentions. You may be sick of Iraq discussions here, but at least it's bringing it to people's attentions and forcing discussion rather than the complacency you seem to enjoy.

And I'm not knocking that, my point is don't trot out pointless stats in an attempt to tell me I'm wrong for talking about the beating and murder of two people that have never been charged with anything, when you yourself admit you don't care enough to do anything.

I do care, and I do what I can to try and communicate to people why I care.
Wed 12/03/03 at 10:31
"Darkness, always"
Fair enough, but personally, were I to actively try to enact change, my priorities would be very different.
Wed 12/03/03 at 10:42
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
And that's your call, whatever works for you IB.
Wed 12/03/03 at 10:48
"Darkness, always"
I think that's probably why we clash heads so regularly. Differing priorities.

Either that or your just stupid, and I rock.
Wed 12/03/03 at 10:50
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Yes that's it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.