GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"US 360 Price point announced."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 17/08/05 at 13:31
Regular
Taken from GamesIndustry.biz

Price points set in place for next-generation launch; European details awaited

The LA Times has broken news of Microsoft's pricing plans for the Xbox 360 console, revealing that the a basic version of the next-generation system will launch at $299, with a premium version shipping at $399.

According to the paper, the $299 version of the console will not include a hard drive - with the extra $100 for the premium version buying a 20Gb drive as well as a wireless controller, headset, Ethernet cable and wireless television-style remote control.

No exact date for the launch is mentioned in the brief article, which will appear in this morning's edition of the major broadsheet, but has already been published on the newspaper's website.

The print edition of the LA Times won't be on news stands until after this morning's Microsoft announcements at the Game Convention event in Leipzig, so it looks likely that the official announcement will go out there after all - despite yesterday's rumours at the show that suggested that no major news would be forthcoming, since none of the firm's top executives had made the trip to Germany.

Europeans will be watching the announcement carefully for news of the Euro and GBP price points for the console. It seems possible that Microsoft will translate between Euro and USD on an even ratio, giving a 399 Euro price point for the premium model - which probably translates as GBP 299 after VAT is taken into consideration.
- - - - - -

299 for the Premium version isn't too bad I reckon - worth it for the extras you get.

Whaddya think?
Wed 17/08/05 at 16:54
Regular
"Xbox 360 Rules"
For the premium version it is 279.99 pounds and the core package is 209.99 with the core package though you get a headset, hard drive, wireless controller and a high def cable so it is worth getting the premium pack and for a limited time only you get remote controle
Wed 17/08/05 at 16:50
Regular
"Xbox 360 Rules"
Don't go on the xbox.com forums there is a chatting riot between all the ameriacans moning about paying $100 more.
Wed 17/08/05 at 16:43
"I love yo... lamp."
*looks as credit card*

Yup, I'll be getting one.
Wed 17/08/05 at 16:25
Regular
Must resist the temptation to buy one for Xmas, but it will be differcult not to.
Wed 17/08/05 at 16:14
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
[URL]http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/tm_objectid=15867682%26method=full%26siteid=94762%26headline=new%2dxbox%2dto%2dcost%2d%2d209-name_page.html[/URL]
Wed 17/08/05 at 14:56
Regular
"bit of a brain"
"An Xbox Live Silver membership allows you to create a user id, download game content, access the Xbox 360 marketplace and gives Live users the ability to chat with friends. It does not, however, allow users to play games online."

haha poor. Oh well! £210 is damn good for the base unit and £280 is only £5 away from my estimate! I should be an industry analyst! Good stuff.
Wed 17/08/05 at 14:33
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
From IGN:

Today at the Games Convention in Leipzig, Germany, Microsoft unveiled the price of their upcoming next-generation system.

The new 'box will come in two flavors, a core and a fully-loaded model, and will carry two separate price points.

The Xbox 360 core system -- priced at $299.99 in the United States, ?299.99 in Europe and £209.99 in the U.K. -- will come with the console, a wired controller, faceplate, standard audio-visual cable and an Xbox Live Silver membership. An Xbox Live Silver membership allows you to create a user id, download game content, access the Xbox 360 marketplace and gives Live users the ability to chat with friends. It does not, however, allow users to play games online. To do this, Silver members must upgrade to a Gold membership.

The Xbox 360 fully-loaded system -- priced at $399.99 in the United States, €399.99 in Europe and £279.99 in the U.K. -- will come complete with the console, a wireless controller, a 20GB detachable hard drive, a faceplate, headset, component HD audio-visual cables, an Ethernet cable, Xbox Live Silver membership and, for a limited time (most likely only though the end of 2005), an Xbox 360 media remote.

The Xbox 360 will launch in North America, Europe and Japan this holiday season. Expect to hear more about the Japanese launch and pricing at the upcoming Tokyo Game Show, which takes place in mid-September.

Interesting. Add 8% sales TAX to the $399 and you get $430-ish - which is the final amount the US gamers will pay. Our £279 pack works out at around $504, so it's only the TAX in it, really... with ours being 17.5%.

Not a bad price. Expecially for gamers on a budget. £210 for a 360, albeit bare-boned, is promising news and the postential for it to go down to under £200 when the £400-ish PS3 comes out will be quite notable!
Wed 17/08/05 at 14:16
Regular
I will probably wait for a drop in price, it's stupidly expensive compared to the US price.
Wed 17/08/05 at 14:05
Regular
As long as your TV supports NTSC (most do) then all you need is a plug adaptor thingy.

Probably find a lot of the games are actually cheaper if you buy them from the right people. Best buying straight from the States as import shops in the UK are usually over priced.
Wed 17/08/05 at 14:03
Regular
Thing is, if you do import one, don't you have to get power adaptors, and a PAL/NTSC conversion thing for your telly too?

Plus, how do the price of games compare once you've imported them?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.