GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"US 360 Price point announced."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 17/08/05 at 13:31
Regular
Taken from GamesIndustry.biz

Price points set in place for next-generation launch; European details awaited

The LA Times has broken news of Microsoft's pricing plans for the Xbox 360 console, revealing that the a basic version of the next-generation system will launch at $299, with a premium version shipping at $399.

According to the paper, the $299 version of the console will not include a hard drive - with the extra $100 for the premium version buying a 20Gb drive as well as a wireless controller, headset, Ethernet cable and wireless television-style remote control.

No exact date for the launch is mentioned in the brief article, which will appear in this morning's edition of the major broadsheet, but has already been published on the newspaper's website.

The print edition of the LA Times won't be on news stands until after this morning's Microsoft announcements at the Game Convention event in Leipzig, so it looks likely that the official announcement will go out there after all - despite yesterday's rumours at the show that suggested that no major news would be forthcoming, since none of the firm's top executives had made the trip to Germany.

Europeans will be watching the announcement carefully for news of the Euro and GBP price points for the console. It seems possible that Microsoft will translate between Euro and USD on an even ratio, giving a 399 Euro price point for the premium model - which probably translates as GBP 299 after VAT is taken into consideration.
- - - - - -

299 for the Premium version isn't too bad I reckon - worth it for the extras you get.

Whaddya think?
Thu 18/08/05 at 08:09
Regular
I'm definitely more tempted by one now than I was before.

Just depends on when it comes out and if I have enough money for it.

Also, has anyone got a link to the site that says the top end system will be backwards compatible, but the lower end one won't?
Thu 18/08/05 at 01:17
Regular
hmmm, i just realised i only use my xbox for pro evo, and none of the launch titles really jump out at me.

I'll get a 360 when pro evo 6 comes out.
Thu 18/08/05 at 01:11
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Very wise thinking and a sound attitude...

Applause is in order.
Thu 18/08/05 at 01:06
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Too bad I'll be skint by then.

I hope my brother gets one.
Thu 18/08/05 at 00:33
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
gimo80 wrote:
> Many N64 games were retailed at £50. But yeah, £45 is
> stupid - you're not really going to find it that much cheaper though,
> are you? £40, maybe?

Won't be long until you can get them for a fiver off the dodgy geezer down the street.

:)
Thu 18/08/05 at 00:31
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
£300 for the premium model sounds okay.
Thu 18/08/05 at 00:16
Regular
"Mozzy"
I've just found out that with the cheap Xbox 360 you cant play normal Xbox games so I wont be able to play Pro Evo 5 which means I must buy the expensive one.
Wed 17/08/05 at 23:46
Regular
"8==="
Game wrote:
> I'm on the Special Reserve Pre-Order Information List, so hopefully
> i'll get an e-mail tomorrow about when I can order it...

This shouldn't make me laugh but it does.
Wed 17/08/05 at 23:40
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I'm on the Special Reserve Pre-Order Information List, so hopefully i'll get an e-mail tomorrow about when I can order it...

I'd like to get it from SR, although i'm a little skeptical as to when it'll get here... not knocking SR, but you never know when it'll be sent or how long it'll take to be delivered.

If any SR Staff are reading this, do you know how it'll be sent - Special Delivery, I imagine. ??

I'd definitely like one, I just hope that Rainbow Six Lockdown will work on it. I wouldn't be suprised if companies like Ubi release emulation code with thier 360 games. i.e Ghost Recon would come with the emulation code for all Ubi's 100,000-copy-selling games.
Wed 17/08/05 at 22:21
Regular
"Touched!"
I've pre-ordered mine just now from Game with PGR3 which came to £325. I'm now debating whether or not to scrap my PSP order and just get a 360. It's only going to cost me around £240 because my parents are donating some funds towards it as an early xmas present. I'm 20 now and my big Xmas's have gone boo hoo. Anyway, I still don't see any reason why people are complaining at the price of the unit..I'll be the first to admit £45 for a game is a joke, but as for the £280 top end unit price I think it's a steal. Let's just think for a moment. You are getting a 360 which is on par at least with the top end comps as far as graphics etc go and by the look of the early games like PGR3 way beyond what current PC's can do. You get a wireless pad, all of the High def cables etc, a HDD and a DVD remote + headset. considering what you are getting, and plus the high end unit allows backwards compatibility. I'll be selling my Xbrick now soon enough to knock another £40-50 off the price..so £200 for me isn't going to be bad at all.

I do, however think that the cheaper unit is rather pointless. I know that I'd rather pay the extra £80 than have to put up with a wired pad, lack of HDD which makes the unit pointless because most people would want the extra's anyway. I'm not at all shocked by the price personally as I got my prediction spot on - go me! I'm looking forward to it again now. Shame Nov is still a while off :(

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.