GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"US 360 Price point announced."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 17/08/05 at 13:31
Regular
Taken from GamesIndustry.biz

Price points set in place for next-generation launch; European details awaited

The LA Times has broken news of Microsoft's pricing plans for the Xbox 360 console, revealing that the a basic version of the next-generation system will launch at $299, with a premium version shipping at $399.

According to the paper, the $299 version of the console will not include a hard drive - with the extra $100 for the premium version buying a 20Gb drive as well as a wireless controller, headset, Ethernet cable and wireless television-style remote control.

No exact date for the launch is mentioned in the brief article, which will appear in this morning's edition of the major broadsheet, but has already been published on the newspaper's website.

The print edition of the LA Times won't be on news stands until after this morning's Microsoft announcements at the Game Convention event in Leipzig, so it looks likely that the official announcement will go out there after all - despite yesterday's rumours at the show that suggested that no major news would be forthcoming, since none of the firm's top executives had made the trip to Germany.

Europeans will be watching the announcement carefully for news of the Euro and GBP price points for the console. It seems possible that Microsoft will translate between Euro and USD on an even ratio, giving a 399 Euro price point for the premium model - which probably translates as GBP 299 after VAT is taken into consideration.
- - - - - -

299 for the Premium version isn't too bad I reckon - worth it for the extras you get.

Whaddya think?
Wed 17/08/05 at 21:04
Regular
"Mozzy"
Err, yes it will - a controller. But it will be non-wireless.

Wired in other words. :P

[URL]http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/news/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=37027&subsectionid=1586[/URL]

Just had a look at whats inc in the expensive version and it seems quite worth it.

The Hard drive is worth £70, wireless controller £30, Headset £15 and Media remote £20. Thats a totall of £135 of extra stuff for just £80 more.
Wed 17/08/05 at 21:02
Regular
"CEX->-SR->-GS->-???"
Information today in the latest newsletter from GS head office has revealed that Microsoft have confirmed the UK price point for the XBOX 360.

The premium model will retail for £279.99 and the 'Solus' model will retail for £209.99

T%he premium model will include (amongst other things):-

1 x Wireless Copntroller
1 x 20GB HDD.

The 'Solus' unit will be bundled with nothing, not even a controller.
Wed 17/08/05 at 20:53
Regular
"Mozzy"
I know, lets just wait for another 2 next gen Xboxes to come and then buy the Xbox 360 for £40 off ebay.

....nah.
Wed 17/08/05 at 20:09
Regular
"Divine Davine"
Many N64 games were retailed at £50. But yeah, £45 is stupid - you're not really going to find it that much cheaper though, are you? £40, maybe?

It will get cheaper (hopefully) quickly, but if you are looking forward to getting a 360 at launch, then it's gonna be expensive.
Wed 17/08/05 at 19:02
Regular
Yeah, it was the same with N64 games, they were really expensive at first, then they got cheaper.
Wed 17/08/05 at 19:01
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
HALO was £45 at launch... it's just a 'this is the best' campaign. It'll soon settle to £40 and SR will be rolling out the new titles at £35 in no time. Plus, buying online is always cheaper... just ignore the High Street, and you'll be fine.
Wed 17/08/05 at 18:01
Regular
Gameplay have it listed as £279.99 and the games as £45

I'm gonna take my foot and break it off in their asses if they seriously expect me to pay that much.
Wed 17/08/05 at 17:56
"High polygon count"
Wait a month for the price drop.

Also, wait about 2 years to make sure it's not a fire hazard.
Wed 17/08/05 at 17:54
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Well first off I must say i'm impressed by the price of the hardware, but not overly surprised - wait until you see where M$'s money will come in!

A straight conversion, in my eyes, was never going to happen; but with a rumoured $299 price point I thought £250 was likely. Good news, though - for the gamers and Microsoft. I concurr with the main article. The Core system is a waste of money, but great for Microsoft. Whether or not it's an unofficial deterrent or not, I don't know. But I suspect that the £180 price point of the PSP has something to do with it. You you rather have an X360 or a little handheld that, for the most part, plays re-hashed PS2 games that don't look as good?

"For an extra £30, Daddy, we can get this 360 thing and it's better and we don't need a DVD player and it means we can play games that aren't just little versions of what my brother has on his PS2!"

Exactly.

Although, if people are willing to stretch to £210 for Christmas, they'll kick themselves after they're presented with the bill for the inevitably purchaed add-ons!

Conversion-wise, the £279.99 'Standard 360' works out to $505-ish. While, after US State-varied TAX, US gamers are paying around $425-460. While we are paying more, we certainly can't moan - Everyone here was expecting to shell out at least £250, so £280 with all the goodies thrown in isn't something we can turn our noses up at.

The Core system will sell, but only because of the low price-point and maybe some stock shortages. Also, think about what you got in your PS2/XBOX bundles? Exactly (sans the hard-drive for the latter) what you get in the core pack. For gamers who want to JUST play 360 games, the Core System (with the additional purchase of a Memory Pack) is all they need. Granted, the A/V lead isn't as good, but it's not a huge issue.

I applaud Microsoft, by the way. From a business standpoint they're offering gamers the first console-orientated ride on the Next-Gen bandwagon for half the price of the newest/best PC GPU (BFG OC 7800GTX - £450?). When the PS3 launches, they'll be in a position to offer an XBOX360 package for under £200 and should have quite a decent user-base thanks to LIVE and the low X360 entry-price.

While us UK gamers rejoice over the fact that the 360 is somewhat of a bargain, Microsoft and their business execs are rejoicing over the fact that this is one cash-cow that they can milk and milk well... Just look at this:

"There will also be a slew of accessories available separately, including:

# Faceplate (£15) - A 12p (£0.12) bit of plastic?!
# 20GB hard drive (£70) - You can get a 200GB Seagate IDE HDD for this price!
# 64MB memory unit (£23) - Because you can't get a 256MB MP3/Memory Stick for under £30! /sarcasm
# Play & charge kit (£15) - Puh-lease.
# Rechargeable battery pack (£10) - shouldn't these come with a Wireless pad?!
# Wireless networking adaptor (£60) Suprised this isn't integrated - Micro$oft don't care!
# Headset (£15) - So, conveniently, I can't use my current XBOX LIVE headset?

Don't forget the 'Market-place'!

So there you have it - while budget-conscious gamers will be tempted and in many cases lured into the bare-bones 'Core' trap, they'll lament the extra payments they'll be making over time. Add a HDD to the price of the Core-System and you're already paying the same as the standard pack. My advice, pre-order a Standard Pack and let everyone else know about the £200 Core package! Muahahahah...

I wouldn't be at all suprised if the Standard Pack was hard to get hold of. Not least because anyone with any common sense will buy one, but also because more Core Systems will be shipped. Think about it... there's a big 360 buzz, everyone wants one and they'll do anything to get one... "No Standard Packs? Oh well, the band-wagon is leaving, give me a Core system!"

Standard Pack for me, then. Hopefully I can rack-up some GAD wins and not have to buy software!!! Anyone can see that the Standard Pack is the way forward. Adding one of the (extortionately priced) HDDs to the Corepack work out at the same price as a standard and you're still an ethernet cable, Media Centre remote, headset and decent A/V cable lacking as well as being 'wired' to your console. What happened to the wireless as standard... maybe that's why 'Standard' is the top one and 'Core' is standard... technically.
Wed 17/08/05 at 17:47
Regular
Digimod wrote:
> Don't go on the xbox.com forums there is a chatting riot between all
> the ameriacans moning about paying $100 more.

I'd love to crack some Americans head for this. I knew even though they pay a hell of a lot less than everyone else, they'd still find something to moan about.

I always see them moaning about game prices on other sites.

"Live dude, I had to buy a brand new game the other day for like $30 bucks. That's a whole lot of good eating at Chucky Cheese down the drain, stupid frickin' prices"

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.