GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Anime and Ghibli thread"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 05/10/06 at 19:28
Regular
OK. Let's talk. Someone tell me what the latest Ghlibi film is. I have a wad of bills burning a hole in my pocket. ;D
Thu 04/01/07 at 22:56
Regular
Jonathan Ross loves Ghibli movies, especially Totoro. He's done 2 TV series about Japan probably just so he could interview Hayao Miyazaki , the creator of Studio Ghibli and Director and writer of most of these movies ^^

You really respect him when you see how he makes these movies, working into the late hours of the night, taking turns cooking meals with his animators and drawing a lot of the key frames (of the animation) himself. Everyone at Pixar, Disney etc love him and the Ghibli movies :)

A lot of Hollywood celebrities too, infact Disney (who are dubbing the films) get celebs asking them if they can be in the movies lol. Some of the voices in all these movies belong to, Christian Bale, Billy Crystal, Kirsten Dunst, Phil Hartman, Michael Keaton, Mark Hamill, Gillian Anderson, Patrick Stewart, Uma Thurman, Anne Hathaway etc etc.

Seifer wrote:
> So what ones would you recommend?

Hmm that's a tough one. My Neighbour Totoro is great, but it's considered a childrens film, but then everyone loves it heh. You probably shouldnt buy it on DVD but it's something you should watch on TV when it's on. Not that it's not worth having on DVD but like I said it's a young persons film.

Princess Mononoke, this one's really good, more mature than Spirited Away, set in feudal Japan about... hmm I'd love to tell you what it's about but then I'd fear spoiling it for you.

I'm not very good at recommending am I? ^^

Well I suppose Princess Mononoke then but it is more serious than Spirited Away, so no laughs like when Chihiro ran down that staircase and slammed into the wall LOL.

Porco Rosso is one of my favourites, it's about a man who was turned into a Pig, he's the flying pig who fights pirates. This movie is funny, lots of planes and if you speak French, Jean Reno did the voice of Porco in the French version ^^ I'd love to hear that.

Laputa: Castle in the Sky, is the first Ghibli I saw, it's about a boy and a girl, a island that floats in the sky. The army and pirates want to find this island, each for their own reason. A real good movie for young boys. Great film, probably top of my list.

Nausicaa Valley Of The Wind is another movie quite like Princess Mononoke, but they're about 16 years apart so you'll notice a difference in the animation heh.

Oh I should mention, you know those soot spirits that moved the coal? They first appeared in Totoro. ^^
Thu 04/01/07 at 22:22
Regular
So what ones would you recommend?
Thu 04/01/07 at 22:17
Regular
None, I have that movie ^^

I added 11 of the Naruto keyrings to ebay last night, all very cute ;D. No figure ones up there yet. I'll have to get round to adding the rest of my it (77 in total).
Thu 04/01/07 at 22:10
Regular
How many keyrings could I get for a copy(pirate) of Memoirs of a Geisha. :P
Thu 04/01/07 at 21:16
Regular
Seifer wrote:
> Can i just say thank you Machie for making me watch Spirited
> Away, not usually what i go for in a movie at all but i really
> enjoyed that and even bought the Dvd so thanks for the reminder.

Oh that's great to hear Seifer :D I'm glad you enjoyed it. No suprise it won an Oscar huh? Now that you've had a taste of Studio Ghibli, I hope you'll give the others a try.

I'm a huge Ghibli fan so I'm biased but I think they're all great ^^ What I like is that they're still quite different and yet they appeal to everyone. Like Spirited Away, the target audience was 10 year old girls. Porco Rosso was originally an inflight movie for tired Japanese business men. Laputa (which for some reason isn't listed there) was the first Ghibli I saw in 1989 on ITV. I had to wait 6 years till I saw my second, which was Porco Rosso in 1995, in Hong Kong. So for me it's great to see a Ghibli film back on "normal" TV because they're such great films and I wish everyone would go see them :D

Oh by the way pb, did you get round to watching all the DVDs you bought?
Thu 04/01/07 at 20:31
Regular
Can i just say thank you Machie for making me watch Spirited Away, not usually what i go for in a movie at all but i really enjoyed that and even bought the Dvd so thanks for the reminder.
Thu 04/01/07 at 19:40
Regular
Sure as long as Kawada doesn't steal it :) you have to be clever and hide coins well when you send them in the post. Oh I accept cheques too btw ^^

Would you like a Totoro in exchange for the DVDs you sent me then pb? :) They did have 2 figure keyrings of whatshername from Howl's Moving Castle but they didnt look that good so I didn't bother. Next time I'm out there I'll try and get you a nicer Totoro gift ^^ as a thank you.

As you all know I don't have much money but I would have liked to have picked up more things while I was there, there was some really nice stuff too.
Thu 04/01/07 at 19:13
Regular
If I sent you two pounds in the mail, would you send me a keyring back.

I don't like have a debit/credit card.
Thu 04/01/07 at 11:18
"possibly impossible"
Me want Totoro Keyrings
Thu 04/01/07 at 00:30
Regular
Okay it's auction time. My travel/language site that I keep mentioning will be launching soon but I still need to fund all the advertising it'll need. Which is why I bought lots of things while I was in Singapore. Every £ counts thanks to the weak $ so I can get more for less.

We have a few anime fans on here so I thought I'd give it a try just incase anyone was interested. Though the majority of the things I have are keyrings =)

Everything £2 each and cheap shipping, free if you don't use Paypal because of their fees.

Studio Ghibli wise I could only got this Totoro keyring, actually 4 of them. Edges look black but it's actually see through (had to scan them all) 7cm by 6.5cm, seem to be made of plastic with raised black lines. They're actually rather good which is why I picked up a couple.

Unfortunately, no more images, unless people are interested in something. =) Here's what else I have (# means different and not same);

1 x FullMetal Alchemist metal pin
2 x FullMetal Alchemist pack of cards
4 x FullMetal Alchemist PVC keyrings
4 x FullMetal Alchemist plastic keyrings
5 x FullMetal Alchemist figure keyrings
4 x FullMetal Alchemist small figure keyrings
2 x InuYasha figure keyrings
1 x One Piece figure keyring
4 x Ichigo MaShimaro (Strawberry Marshmallow) figure keyrings
1 x Bleach plastic keyring
1 x Fate/Stay Night figure keyring
1 x Naruto stickers/cards?
1 x Naruto pack of cards
1 x Naruto pack of Playing cards
3 x Naruto fabric jacket keyrings
4 x Naruto PVC jacket keyrings
1 x Naruto PVC head band keyring
1 x Naruto Zip keyring
1 x Naruto heart shaped Kakashi keyring
1 x Naruto PVC Kakashi head keyring
4 x Naruto PVC keyrings
1 x Naruto plastic keyring

That's pretty much everything. Oh and don't feel bad if you dont want anything, it'll all go on eBay and everything that doesn't sell gets binned, even Totoro I'm afraid.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.