GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Anime and Ghibli thread"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 05/10/06 at 19:28
Regular
OK. Let's talk. Someone tell me what the latest Ghlibi film is. I have a wad of bills burning a hole in my pocket. ;D
Thu 04/01/07 at 20:31
Regular
Can i just say thank you Machie for making me watch Spirited Away, not usually what i go for in a movie at all but i really enjoyed that and even bought the Dvd so thanks for the reminder.
Thu 04/01/07 at 21:16
Regular
Seifer wrote:
> Can i just say thank you Machie for making me watch Spirited
> Away, not usually what i go for in a movie at all but i really
> enjoyed that and even bought the Dvd so thanks for the reminder.

Oh that's great to hear Seifer :D I'm glad you enjoyed it. No suprise it won an Oscar huh? Now that you've had a taste of Studio Ghibli, I hope you'll give the others a try.

I'm a huge Ghibli fan so I'm biased but I think they're all great ^^ What I like is that they're still quite different and yet they appeal to everyone. Like Spirited Away, the target audience was 10 year old girls. Porco Rosso was originally an inflight movie for tired Japanese business men. Laputa (which for some reason isn't listed there) was the first Ghibli I saw in 1989 on ITV. I had to wait 6 years till I saw my second, which was Porco Rosso in 1995, in Hong Kong. So for me it's great to see a Ghibli film back on "normal" TV because they're such great films and I wish everyone would go see them :D

Oh by the way pb, did you get round to watching all the DVDs you bought?
Thu 04/01/07 at 22:10
Regular
How many keyrings could I get for a copy(pirate) of Memoirs of a Geisha. :P
Thu 04/01/07 at 22:17
Regular
None, I have that movie ^^

I added 11 of the Naruto keyrings to ebay last night, all very cute ;D. No figure ones up there yet. I'll have to get round to adding the rest of my it (77 in total).
Thu 04/01/07 at 22:22
Regular
So what ones would you recommend?
Thu 04/01/07 at 22:56
Regular
Jonathan Ross loves Ghibli movies, especially Totoro. He's done 2 TV series about Japan probably just so he could interview Hayao Miyazaki , the creator of Studio Ghibli and Director and writer of most of these movies ^^

You really respect him when you see how he makes these movies, working into the late hours of the night, taking turns cooking meals with his animators and drawing a lot of the key frames (of the animation) himself. Everyone at Pixar, Disney etc love him and the Ghibli movies :)

A lot of Hollywood celebrities too, infact Disney (who are dubbing the films) get celebs asking them if they can be in the movies lol. Some of the voices in all these movies belong to, Christian Bale, Billy Crystal, Kirsten Dunst, Phil Hartman, Michael Keaton, Mark Hamill, Gillian Anderson, Patrick Stewart, Uma Thurman, Anne Hathaway etc etc.

Seifer wrote:
> So what ones would you recommend?

Hmm that's a tough one. My Neighbour Totoro is great, but it's considered a childrens film, but then everyone loves it heh. You probably shouldnt buy it on DVD but it's something you should watch on TV when it's on. Not that it's not worth having on DVD but like I said it's a young persons film.

Princess Mononoke, this one's really good, more mature than Spirited Away, set in feudal Japan about... hmm I'd love to tell you what it's about but then I'd fear spoiling it for you.

I'm not very good at recommending am I? ^^

Well I suppose Princess Mononoke then but it is more serious than Spirited Away, so no laughs like when Chihiro ran down that staircase and slammed into the wall LOL.

Porco Rosso is one of my favourites, it's about a man who was turned into a Pig, he's the flying pig who fights pirates. This movie is funny, lots of planes and if you speak French, Jean Reno did the voice of Porco in the French version ^^ I'd love to hear that.

Laputa: Castle in the Sky, is the first Ghibli I saw, it's about a boy and a girl, a island that floats in the sky. The army and pirates want to find this island, each for their own reason. A real good movie for young boys. Great film, probably top of my list.

Nausicaa Valley Of The Wind is another movie quite like Princess Mononoke, but they're about 16 years apart so you'll notice a difference in the animation heh.

Oh I should mention, you know those soot spirits that moved the coal? They first appeared in Totoro. ^^
Thu 04/01/07 at 23:05
Regular
Oh maybe I should have recommended Howl's Moving Castle, it's a good movie and recently released. Based on an English childrens novel. I think I like Mononoke better, but Howl's still great too.

LINK

When you get time, check out this 6 minute music video, it shows great clips from many of the Ghibli films.

My Neighbour Totoro
Laputa
Princess Mononoke
Kiki's Delivery service (a young witch in training)
Porco Rosso
Pom Poko (yet to see it still)
Nausicaa
Whisper of the Heart (about a school girl who wants to be a writer)

You'll notice a lot of the movies are about, spirits, nature, etc.

My girlfriend, who's not seen any Ghibli's before is now a huge fan. My exes were too, infact when I showed one ex My Neighbour Totoro, her eyes light up because she thought she remember it (she's the chinese liverpool ex by the way). She kept saying something about a Catbus, but I just looked at her in confusion saying there was no Catbus, but yeah there is ^^ and I want to ride in one =(
Thu 04/01/07 at 23:47
"possibly impossible"
Machie wrote:
> Would you like a Totoro in exchange for the DVDs you sent me
> then pb? :) They did have 2 figure keyrings of whatshername from
> Howl's Moving Castle but they didnt look that good so I didn't
> bother. Next time I'm out there I'll try and get you a nicer
> Totoro gift ^^ as a thank you.
>

Yes please, that sounds a good exchange to me. I'd love one of those Totoro soft toys. Saw a second hand one at a Sci-fi convention but it was gone when i went back to pick it up.

Totoro has to be one of my favourites, but as the films are all quite different, my favourite Ghibli film will be dependent on what mood I'm in.

I still haven't watched them all, and I'm slowly building up my collection of originals too, so for some of them I'm waiting till I get the original DVD.

Howl's moving castle is fantastic, though and Pom Poko always makes me smile (even though the ending is a little sad in a way)
Thu 04/01/07 at 23:50
"possibly impossible"
Machie wrote:
> Pom Poko (yet to see it still)

It's really different. Imagine Watership Down on LSD, but with funny tanuki (a Raccoon-like animal). Though you have to be a bit careful with the kids when the males use their 'pouches' (you'll see what I mean, they only call them pouches in the Western dub, the subtitles have their real name!)
Fri 05/01/07 at 00:10
Regular
pb wrote:
> Yes please, that sounds a good exchange to me. I'd love one of
> those Totoro soft toys. Saw a second hand one at a Sci-fi
> convention but it was gone when i went back to pick it up.

Excellent ^^ ah I saw quite a few of them in Singapore I'll try and get you one. I'll have to take a picture of the 17 little totoros lined up on my monitor hehe. When I start to earn more money I'll buy a lot more Ghibli stuff. I saw some really nice Totoro plates the other day while I was surfing. I'm sure my kids would love to eat their veg on them, heh. That would get me to eat more greens :D

> Totoro has to be one of my favourites, but as the films are all
> quite different, my favourite Ghibli film will be dependent on
> what mood I'm in.

Yes that's exactly how I see it. They're all so different that you love them all but for different reasons.

> I still haven't watched them all, and I'm slowly building up my
> collection of originals too, so for some of them I'm waiting
> till I get the original DVD.

Can you name some you havent seen so I can go "OMG Can't believe that you havent seen it!! It's a great film you're gonna love it" hehe.

> Howl's moving castle is fantastic, though and Pom Poko always
> makes me smile (even though the ending is a little sad in a way)

Had to watch a downloaded version so I'm keen to see it again on DVD. Hopefully they'll show it on TV soon, it is based on a British childrens story afterall.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.