GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"crap"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'World of Warcraft'.
Mon 26/09/05 at 13:03
Regular
Moved into my room at UEA.

WoW - Cannot connect to server
Warcraft III - Cannot connect to battle.net

It must be something with the university's network but I don't know much about it.

umm help?
Tue 27/09/05 at 12:23
Regular
Well the reason I don't want to ask straight away is if they say no it would greatly increase the risk of me using those programs to bypass it, and if I got caught increase the punishment as well.

Will they be able to open ports just for my computer? If yes then it's much more likely to be allowed.
Tue 27/09/05 at 12:01
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I think I'll just go ask a port to be opened, if at all possible.
Tue 27/09/05 at 00:01
Regular
"Captain to you."
I'm sure most uni's will open them if you sort out which ports are needed, as they probably just blocked whole ranges.

My uni was happy to unblock any port we wanted as long as we gave a good reason and it wasn't a port used for darkness. I’d never have played CS if myself and a group of 8 people didn’t go ask very nicely for the ports to be opened.
Mon 26/09/05 at 23:47
Regular
"Hi can you open these ports please?"
"Whats it for?"
"I want to play World of Warcraft all night"
"Yeah no"
Mon 26/09/05 at 23:46
Regular
"Captain to you."
why not just request the ports opened?
Mon 26/09/05 at 23:08
Regular
Cycloon wrote:

> Got the first link d/l, gonna see about the second. Can they really
> not see it? I might as well cancel WoW otherwise.

Let me know if it works.
Mon 26/09/05 at 22:09
Regular
gamesfreak wrote:
> My University doesn't seem to block any games (from what I hear WoW
> works fine) so I'd imagine they've just blocked ports that's all.

That's because you've come to the part of England where people couldn't really give a toss about anything. :P
Mon 26/09/05 at 18:44
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Whitestripes DS wrote:
> Could you explain to me exactly what they can monitor?
>
> They can see how much bandwidth I'm using so WoW shouldn't be much
> more than browsing web pages or downloading something, but can they
> see specifically what I'm looking at?
>
> I know they can detect P2P clients so how is that given away but not
> running WoW?

I don't know much about the admin side of things and what they can or can't monitor, but as I understand it the HTTP tunnel + Sockscap converts information that would otherwise go across a blocked port into a form that can be transported across whatever port the internet uses (hence the tunnel reference) It tunnels information through the open internet port, this is why its very hard to track as it just looks like normal browsing traffic.

I think that P2P networks can be detected because they make use of other ports and so are easy to block (the admins just block those ports).

EDIT: If you want to know more I would check out the HTTP tunnel forums - they're quite a knowledgeable bunch. Also most of their userbase constists of students in exactly the same situation!!
Mon 26/09/05 at 16:57
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Arg, me too it seems. Just get my internet working and it's being funny.

Fiddling is needed.

Got the first link d/l, gonna see about the second. Can they really not see it? I might as well cancel WoW otherwise.
Mon 26/09/05 at 16:05
Regular
"Captain to you."
Does your uni have a games department? if so just ask them to open the ports for WoW, warcraft 3 has it's port number in the options menu so thats easy to find and i imagine blizzard have the ports for WoW somewhere on the website.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.