GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Guitarists...again"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 26/12/02 at 19:54
Regular
Got myself a guitar for Christmas, Epiphone Les Paul.
Very nice.
Anyway my dad is going to try teach me the basics then build it up from there.
At the moment with uni, uni work etc I can't afford the time or money to get lessons from someone who does it and is good at it.

SO could anyone give me some good begginers books, webpages. Pointers in where to start etc - just incase my dad begins to annoy me. :-)

Thanks if you can offer any helpful pointers.
Mon 30/12/02 at 18:07
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Electric guitar tuners are for girls.

Real men use pitch forks.
Mon 30/12/02 at 18:07
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Err...tuning forks.
Mon 30/12/02 at 18:32
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
And there's the difference between a beginner and someone who has played a bit...

Nowt wrong with electronic tuners, may as well take your time to learn other things and eventually you'll get an ear to do it without one.

(and I've never seen anyone tune a guitar with tuning forks - hardly necessary when there's only six strings, just do it by ear)
Mon 30/12/02 at 18:36
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Tuning fork as in tuned to E, you hit it and it goes TWAAAAAAAAANG and you tune the rest from the low E.
Mon 30/12/02 at 18:44
BAH tuning forks are for grandads
Mon 30/12/02 at 20:25
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
But that's like the old hammer to crack the nut sort of thing. If you're ear is good enough to tune the rest from the low E it'll be good enough to tune the original note from memory anyway.
Mon 30/12/02 at 20:32
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Uh, no.

You can use it to compare notess (6 string 5 fret for A, for example) but you don't need to know from memory.
Mon 30/12/02 at 20:32
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Uh, no.

You can use it to compare notess (6 string 5 fret for A, for example) but you don't need to know from memory.
Mon 30/12/02 at 20:42
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
I know that - what I'm saying is if you can use a tuning fork your ear will probably be good enough to tune the low E correctly from memory anyway and therefore making the fork redundant.

I've never seen anyone tune a guitar using a tuning fork, frankly the idea sounds bizarre. I know it works, but I really can't see the point. Much like the hammer/nut.
Mon 30/12/02 at 22:44
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Thanks for the info DrGonzo

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.