GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"ps2 vs pIII 733mhz"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 12/12/00 at 15:35
Regular
I love the ps2 with its dvd, cool graphics, wicked games but it doesent stand a chance against my dell 733mhz with a geFORCE 64mb graphics card. What I am trying to say is that they are over exagerating the ps2 make it seem god like. The fact is that pc's will always be 1 step ahead.
Wed 13/12/00 at 15:43
Kewl.

although of course you may find it necessary to insult me at some point.

Any non-***e related thoughts on the Console hardware question?
Wed 13/12/00 at 16:54
I don't really know who you are bot, but as far as I can see you seem to be experiencing a few "adult" problems, namely being thick.

Your pc may be faster, but your 733mhz cpu only runs on a 32 bit platform. The PS2 runs on a 128 platform.

1:Quick maths lesson : a 128 bit machine handles one hundred and twenty eight (128) bits of information at once.
2:Your 32 (thirty two) bit cpu handles 32 bits of informaton at once (mhz(the frequency )).

733 divided by 4(four) =183.25mhz
295 multiply by 4 = 1183mhz

And with reference to your unfortnate bodily dis-figuration (not looking right), stop eating those jelly donuts, do some exercise, and await the full extent of PS2.

You don't really think SONY would waist those billions of Yen (Japanese monies), look extremly stupid ( maybey like bot), and lose ?

From a UNITED KINGDOM person.
Wed 13/12/00 at 17:00
Anybody worked out the correct formula ?

Come on bot, take all the time that you need...
Wed 13/12/00 at 17:02
Regular
Err... That's more than slighty wrong...

Bits mean hardly anything at all. The real power comes from the memory and processor.

Why do I keep repeating myself?

X-Box is a 32 bit system. Gamecubes main processor runs at 64 bit. Makes an iota of a difference.
Wed 13/12/00 at 17:09
Regular
Anyway, A PC and the PS2 are in completly different leagues. The PC is a gaming machine yes, but it is a variable, and therefore cannot be compared to a PS2, which is a constant.
Wed 13/12/00 at 17:11
So you're telling me, that if you had 32 people filling buckets with water - which you had to fill a swimming pool with, and your competitor had 128 people filling their buckets - both working @ the same time; there would be no differnce ?
Wed 13/12/00 at 17:16
I don't think we should say that the PS2 is a constant. We don't even know it's future - yet we do know the Pc's past. Fair enough, the PC will always be a machine to upgrade - but think about this. How often do you change your pc? ( when you get to the point where your mother board can't sustain the speed, nor can the ram etc...). I Would say about every 3-5 years. The original playstaion has only been upgraded after 5 years...
Wed 13/12/00 at 17:17
Regular
Need I remind you of the speed of the processor?

The speeds are about the same. Perhaps PS2 is lower. Anyway, the memory in the PS2 is pretty s***e, and you can get better standard memory in a X-Box, which has the same specs as the PC mentioned. Ish.
Wed 13/12/00 at 17:21
Regular
The PS was not only updated, but was thrown away, basically. The fact it can play old PS games makes no difference.

You kind of ruined your arguement as well, as the ORIGINAL playstation was updated after some years, so the PS2 will also be updated. So it is a constant. The next constant will be a PS3.
Wed 13/12/00 at 17:23
Need I, Need I...

The reason why the xbox needs so much ram, is that it is still using the standard IBM code (086...), which is roughly about 20 years out dated, and extremly memory needing. The new breed use RISC (reduced instruction set code)machines , which are roughly 8 time less complicated and a lot faster.

That's why !

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.