GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Marriage"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 22/08/08 at 15:40
Regular
So, I'm getting married in 7 weeks. I don't think it's still sunk in properly. I have bouts getting excited about it, like when we went for suit fittings etc. It feels real then, same as when we were looking for a venue. Right now though, on a slow friday afternoon at work, it doesn't.

I'm not scared by the thought of it. But on the otherhand, right now, I'm not excited by it either. I'm just like "I'm getting married soon, that's cool." And that's about it.

Is this normal? Are there many married people on here? I'm not getting cold feet at all, it's just.... other people are more excited about it than I am. Maybe it's a bloke thing?

Maybe it's the fact that I've got to use nearly all my holiday for the honeymoon, so I've not had a single day off work this year, and I'm starting to drag because of it.

Anyway, the whole institution of marriage is fine by me. Over the last 3 years me & Mrs YH (to be) have been to about 10 weddings. All bar two have been church weddings. All bar one of them are still happily together. Although I know for a fact that at least one of them has most certainly had it's downs.

Not really sure what the point of this thread is to be honest. Friday musings that now it's out I can't be bothered (or don't want to for some reason) delete. Maybe it's something I'll add too over the next few weeks. Maybe I won't. Maybe it's something that will get some replies, or maybe it's something that none of you will read. Who knows?
Sat 23/08/08 at 19:10
Regular
Meh, been there and done that.. twice. I have the mug, t-shirt.. and an assortment of fruity key chains too. ;)
Sat 23/08/08 at 20:09
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Ladybird wrote:
> Meh, been there and done that.. twice. I have the mug, t-shirt..
> and an assortment of fruity key chains too. ;)

I hope you've not been the mug:) As for 'fruity key chains' - not done those, but I can guess:D

Really sorry for you - did they do the dirty on you?
Sat 23/08/08 at 20:27
Regular
Dragonlance wrote:
> Ladybird wrote:
> Meh, been there and done that.. twice. I have the mug,
> t-shirt..
>
> I hope you've not been the mug:) As for 'fruity key chains' -
> not done those, but I can guess:D
>
> Really sorry for you - did they do the dirty on you?

What the hell is your problem? No, I've not been a mug, you twisted weirdo. Psh.
Sun 24/08/08 at 09:11
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Ladybird wrote:
> Dragonlance wrote:
> Ladybird wrote:
> t-shirt..
>
>
>
>
>
> What the hell is your problem? No, I've not been a mug, you
> twisted weirdo. Psh.

My sincere apologies, I didn't mean to cause you harm and upset, I only felt sympathy for you from what I read.
As for 'twisted weirdo', I may be a certified basketcase, but 'twisted weirdo' I ain't:(
Sun 24/08/08 at 20:01
Regular
Dragonlance wrote:
> Ladybird wrote:
> Dragonlance wrote:
> Ladybird wrote:
> t-shirt..
>
>
>
>
>
> twisted weirdo. Psh.
>
> My sincere apologies, I didn't mean to cause you harm and upset,
> I only felt sympathy for you from what I read.
> As for 'twisted weirdo', I may be a certified basketcase, but
> 'twisted weirdo' I ain't:(

Hrm, you pretty much twisted up and reiterated what I wrote in the first place, so I dunno.. I don't know why anyone would have sympathy for someone who's moved on from a bad marriage, but hey.. I guess some people are weird like that.
Sun 24/08/08 at 20:11
Regular
"Monochromatic"
You have an unerring ability to be offended when there's none meant. Not everyone is out to get you M, try and remember it.
Sun 24/08/08 at 22:24
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Ladybird wrote:
> Dragonlance wrote:
> Ladybird wrote:
> Dragonlance wrote:
> Ladybird wrote:
> t-shirt..
>
>
>
>
>
> twisted weirdo. Psh.
>
> My sincere apologies, I didn't mean to cause you harm and
> upset,
> I only felt sympathy for you from what I read.
> As for 'twisted weirdo', I may be a certified basketcase, but
> 'twisted weirdo' I ain't:(
>
> Hrm, you pretty much twisted up and reiterated what I wrote in
> the first place, so I dunno.. I don't know why anyone would have
> sympathy for someone who's moved on from a bad marriage, but
> hey.. I guess some people are weird like that.

You dont need sympathy, you need congratulations:)
Sun 24/08/08 at 23:03
Regular
Nin wrote:
> You have an unerring ability to be offended when there's none
> meant. Not everyone is out to get you M, try and remember it.

To some, perception is the reality. Being judgemental is unbecoming. That's just a personal opinion, try and remember it.
Sun 24/08/08 at 23:32
Regular
I had a funny feeling that was coming, haha

Marriage.. Marriage.. hmmmm

What is the Christian point of marriage? Sex? I forget.

What else is there.. uh.. benefits I guess, tax breaks maybe? Uh. Hm.

As far as I see it, if two people want to be together, and stay together, marriage shouldn't -need- to come into it. It's a nice thought, a nice way of showing love and all that (Which I swear is ridiculously hard to do, but that might be me) and you can have fireworks and stuff and say "hey, look how happy we are" and have a lovely dress and a best man and stuff like that.

I guess it works for people. Sometimes, nah. Then you move on. Relationships aren't always going to work and you can't rely on marriage to save them. And if they do work, then what's the point in marriage at all, apart from these forms you can fill in for lawyers and tax and blah? I don't know much about marriage.

It's nice to see changing too that if your parents aren't married, or single parent, the kids don't get bullied (so much, seemingly) any more either (I can't remember how old I am, but my friends got bullied in school for having divorced parents). Eventually we'll get rid of all this damn taboo we're filling our kid's heads with and hurray.

Marriage.. I dunno. I just think it's used too much like these people have something to prove. No offence whatsoever to the married couples here - it's just that I honestly think, quite a lot, that if you want to stay together, marriage isn't going to stop you from breaking up - and that's the thing I worry about, that people go into it thinking 'oh this is forever, hurray!' when to be honest, I think it takes more than a day to celebrate that. Like all this effort put into one day, and the whole lifetime thing is ignored.. when people who just want to stay together anyway, and can bail out whenever they like.. well. This whole lifetime thing kinda means 'right now', 'the moment' - the ever changing moment, right? I mean, your life doesn't just start after this day of celebration. It's there already.

I dunno. The people who are happily married make me happy. But, like I said, you show me a couple that have been boyfriend and girlfriend for decades, and a couple that have been married for decades, and sometimes I wonder if it's the couple who never got married, who don't have 'taboo' reason not to split up, which are the strongest. It's just a thought and I can't prove it and I will also happily admit the possibility that married couples are stronger, or if there's no difference at all. It's just well, apart from technicalities, I fail to see the point, quite a lot.
Mon 25/08/08 at 13:06
Regular
LadyBird I worry for you slightly, how did you manage to take something that seemed so obviously unoffensive. I worry for you somewhat, but that is only for the period it takes me to post this :p

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.