GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Question for Ninty's."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 25/09/02 at 13:11
Regular
Now that it is completely 100% official that Microsoft has bought Rare, how many of you Ninty's will be getting an Xbox to carry on playing Rare Games?

It seems that you love Rare so much, as you lot always shouted "We've got Rare developing for us!" whenever someone tried to put down Nintendo. So I guess that you'll all be putting your GC away in the wardrobe, and you'll be buying an Xbox pretty soonish.

Or am I wrong?
Wed 25/09/02 at 19:41
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Don't get me wrong, I love Rare whatever platform they develop on. I'm not going to start criticising just because they're not with Nintendo anymore, but here are the reasons why I won't get an Xbox:

1) Financial. I simply can't afford one. Even if I sold my Cube I doubt I could afford one.

2) I'm not going to buy a console just for Rare games. The N64s best games were (for me at least) primarily Nintendo and Rare games. The best GameCube games (and potential best games) at the moment seem to be coming from a variety of sources, not least Nintendo. Back on the N64 there were very few developers apart from Ninty and Rare releasing quality stuff. Now there are, so much as I love Rare, from a GameCube owners point of view, even if Rare was still with Ninty they would have been a little less important in holding the console together.

3) Nintendo in the majority of genres were still superior to Rare. I didn't like Diddy Kong Racing much in single player, and I found Mario Karts multplayer to be better, and I thought Banjo-Kazooie (though I never played Banjo-Tooie...) was great, but not quite as good as Mario. Although it has yet to be seen if Ninty (or at least a Ninty franchise, ie. Metroid) can better GE and PD. And Rare also produced Jet Force Gemini. And for that I love them. Oh, and Donkey Kong 64 wasn't all it could (and should) have been, though still a great platformer in it's own right.

4) No one knows how Rare will perform without Nintendo. There's no denying they are a great developer, but will they be as great under Mr. Gates as under Nintendo? Nintendo did help them out on projects, and seem to have been very lenient with slipping release dates. Who knows whether or not Bill will be so kind to them? I'm not saying Rare on Xbox will be crap, but whether the operating conditions under Microsoft will be as favourable as under Nintendo is yet to be seen. Buying an Xbox for Rare games is a bit stupid when no Rare games are out for it yet, and you have no garantee of the quality of them...

Anyway, they're loosely the reasons... I may actually still get an Xbox, but not until they are considered 'old skool' (so I can be 'retro' or something...) ;-) When this happens they will likely be very cheap (as will the games) so price won't be an issue. Then I'll be able to see how Rare fared with their new master and probably enjoy some other Xbox games... But only time shall tell. Essay over. :D
Wed 25/09/02 at 19:53
Regular
"Max Power"
this is probably one of those things where they try to boost the popularity
Wed 25/09/02 at 19:57
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
While Iam a fan of RARE games, well actually just the FPS ones. Theres no way i would sell my gamecube (i would have to, if i were to afford an xbox). I love my gamecube, and whilst Iam dismayed to see PD not on Gamecube, however after seeing the joanna dark art i have to say im not that bothered. Im sure Timesplitters will fill the little void there would have been.
Wed 25/09/02 at 20:00
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Rare have always taken a long time to produce quality games, and I think that with Microsoft pressuring them to produce so many games, their software will suffer. I don't think Xbox owners will see the real Rare.
Wed 25/09/02 at 20:00
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Wouldn't buy an Xbox, unless at gunpoint........

Rare's main achievement was always Star Fox, Perfect Dark was excellent but still and FPS at heart. And anyway, we've got Starfox and the game's Rare were rumoured to be developing are, with the exception of Perfect Dark Zero, all Nintendo licenses which Nintendo retain anyway.

Whilst Nintendo gamers will no doubt be sorry to lose Rare they will probably admit that Rare - whilst brilliant - are also the most ponderous and slow development team in the UK. They get good results but things like Starfox Adventures take them about 4 years. It may be some time before X Box owners even see a Rare game...

The main point to be made is that it's become clear Nintendo let Rare go by selling their share. Nintendo has been in this game a lot longer than Microsoft has, they know what they're doing and have survived Sega, Sony, 3DO, Atari and a whole load of others.

Personally, as a PS2 and GC owner, I feel Microsoft's whole approach to the console industry has been wrong and pretty soul less, it's like some CEO of Microsoft has sat down and thought;

High Spec Console + tons of cash into it + buying up exclusives = Console dominance.

Well it doesn't ! Sony and Nintendo have both relied on their normal developers such as Eidos, Capcom, Konami, Sega e.t.c. to deliver the games, as well as inhouse teams in Japan, America and the UK. Microsoft seems to want to just buy up development teams instead, still, it should only be another 2 years until a Rare Xbox game comes out....set the timers folks :)

~~Belldandy~~
Wed 25/09/02 at 20:01
Regular
"everyone says it"
Everyone should go and read digitiser today....

...they call the XBox a 'dying' console.

I smiled and danced a little.
Wed 25/09/02 at 20:02
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Or†ega wrote:
> I own all 3 consoles, but still am a pretty solid Ninty.

Same here. I bought my PS2 in Feburary, bought my GC on launch and my Xbox came on GC launch day, 30 mins later than my GC! Thing is, though, my Xbox was free, came with 5 games and 3 pads. Reason? It was a thank-you present from MS because my dad did a presentation out in America. Pretty cool thouhg. :D

Rare games are Rare. By that I mean 2-3 games a year. Although they are very enjoyable, the Goldeneye team left and became free radical design (I believe) and TS2 is multi format, so there's no worry there. Sure, Conker, PD and BK will appear on the Xbox, I don't care, as I own one, but for the people that don't, why should you be so concerned? With so many developers with the GC now, and games like DK + Starfox belonging to Nintendo, we have nothing of great value to lose! :D

Microchips.

(P.S- If I sounded one-sided, it wasn't intentional, I am 100% non-fanboy. :D)
Wed 25/09/02 at 20:19
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Just to clarify, it wasn't the whole Goldeneye Team that left for Free Radical Design. It was some (not sure of numbers...) key members and I suspect a fair few less key members too. They included David Doak (the namesake of the 'Dr. Doak' double agent character on the facility level) who was I believe a key member in Goldeneye. Anyway, a number of Rare members went on to Free Radical, and I believe a number of people who worked on Goldeneye are now working for Retro Studios (who are doing Metroid...)
Wed 25/09/02 at 20:24
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Devious Dragon wrote:
> I'm also a Ninty and am still not going to even touch an Xbox let
> alone buy one. Even if RARE has joined the dark side they do not have
> the most popular RARE character Fox McCloud.

Since when was Fox McCloud Rare's most popular character ?? He's not even a Rare character.
Wed 25/09/02 at 20:35
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Savatt78 wrote:
Even if RARE has joined the dark side

I thought it was green? :D

they do not have the most popular RARE character Fox McCloud.
>
> Since when was Fox McCloud Rare's most popular character ?? He's not
> even a Rare character.

LOL! Too right. Fox McCloud is a Nintendo character, but Rare developed Starfox Adventures with Nintendo. What I would like to see on the Xbox though, is a Jet Force Gemini sequel. That would rock!

:D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.