GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Question for Ninty's."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 25/09/02 at 13:11
Regular
Now that it is completely 100% official that Microsoft has bought Rare, how many of you Ninty's will be getting an Xbox to carry on playing Rare Games?

It seems that you love Rare so much, as you lot always shouted "We've got Rare developing for us!" whenever someone tried to put down Nintendo. So I guess that you'll all be putting your GC away in the wardrobe, and you'll be buying an Xbox pretty soonish.

Or am I wrong?
Wed 25/09/02 at 14:46
Regular
Anyway, how is the PS2 pad better for FPS?

The only difference is that you have to stretch your thumb to reach the main analogue stick.

Or is it the strange shoulder buttons?
Wed 25/09/02 at 14:29
Regular
"everyone says it"
Bonus wrote:
> The GC version "plays" the best??
>
> Yeah, right, seeing as the game will be identical on all systems, and
> the PS2 pad is far superior with it's dual analogue stick design,
> surely it will kick backside.
>
> The Gamecube pad quite literally sucks for anything needing this level
> of versatility.
>
> The N64 pad was THE FPS pad, now the Dual Shock 2 reigns supreme ;)

No really. The Gamecube version apparently plays the best. All the hierachy at work keep telling me. Also, I have an adaptor to use my Dual Shock on the Gamecube. :P
Wed 25/09/02 at 14:25
Regular
The GC version "plays" the best??

Yeah, right, seeing as the game will be identical on all systems, and the PS2 pad is far superior with it's dual analogue stick design, surely it will kick backside.

The Gamecube pad quite literally sucks for anything needing this level of versatility.

The N64 pad was THE FPS pad, now the Dual Shock 2 reigns supreme ;)
Wed 25/09/02 at 14:22
Regular
"everyone says it"
A perfect summary:

'While Nintendo announced a change in strategy to capitalise on leading franchises by reducing development time, Rare continued slowly to beaver away on its GameCube projects.

Nintendo started to realise that its own goals didn't tally with those of Rare, and vice versa, and negotiations for the sale of the company began during the middle of 2001. '

'Will Nintendo miss Rare? Given the firm's sluggish productivity of late, most probably not. And while still holding on to its Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong and Pokemon franchises, Nintendo is right not to care.

The question is whether Microsoft will be able to capitalise on Rare's reputation before the Xbox chokes.

There's no doubting it's a PR victory for Microsoft. Whether it's a creative one remains to be seen. '
Wed 25/09/02 at 14:17
Regular
"everyone says it"
Ah but Bonus.

The Gamecube version runs the game the best, and also the fact I can play multiplayer and I get a version for free from Eidos.

*skips around*

Seriously though Bonus, get the GC version for quality. :)
Wed 25/09/02 at 14:12
Regular
I suppose as I owned a N64, and now a Gamecube, I may be classed as a Ninty, and personally, the Rare situation doesn't fuss me either way. The only Rare games I have ever owned were PD and Goldeneye.

Since FRD are making Timesplitters 2 so much like Goldeneye (anyone who's played the PS2 demo should agree), it deosn't really fuss me either way.

I'll probably buy TS2 for the PS2 anyway, because the Dual Shock 2 pad kicks the backside of the Gamecube pad for FPS versatility!!!

:D
Wed 25/09/02 at 14:07
Regular
"everyone says it"
Yes its a shame. Rare are incredible developers. Everything they released was excellent. Its all about names and labels. Now Microsoft have the Perfect Dark sequel, Conker and Banjo. However, in the great schemes of things, Nintendo still have Starfox, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Mario and Metroid as well as a well known and the most currently recognised thing in the world. Pikachu.

Games are games. Play them.
Wed 25/09/02 at 13:49
Regular
Well I was genuine...

Yep, I'll be getting an Xbox (not just yet. I'll wait for another price cut, for Rare games to be released, and I'll also want some sort of broadband connection too...) and keep playing Rare's games.

I'm still planning to work for them too (still living in cloud cuckoo land! ;-D).
Wed 25/09/02 at 13:48
Regular
Goatboy wrote:
> *chuckles*
>
> Now the argument is "Well Rare only produce a game every couple
> of years, so no great loss"

No, I'm gutted that they've got but I'm not gonna run out and buy a console solely for one developer who rarely (pun not intended) release more than 2 games a year.
Wed 25/09/02 at 13:47
Regular
"everyone says it"
Yeah, they are getting Kameo a game which has been in development for a long time however it was so far into being made I don't think the visuals will improve much for its XBox release.

Answer to the question? I don't care. I have all the consoles.

The best place to actually read what has happened is the google news site. They explain it all.

:)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.